Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AAMPLE programs-Anyone ever taken? Good/bad?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:24 pm 

If I'm offered a chance to take a summer AAMPLE program in order to get into a law school, and I'm denied regular admission to the Fall program, does this change how my status as a student would be once I complete the program successfully?

Has anyone ever taken one of these programs? Were you looked "down" upon for the rest of your legal education, or did you just finish and then were considered a "typical" student?

If a school I want to go to gives me this as an option, is it better to accept this, or retake LSAT, etc and apply to regular enrollment again?

Any information on these programs would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys- :D

Post subject: Re: AAMPLE programs-Anyone ever taken? Good/bad?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:37 pm 

Can you tell me what an AAMPLE program is?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:40 pm 

I'm going to assume this is like the (C)LEO/summer start programs a lot of schools offer. Each school handles them differently but I think the majority treat you as a standard student other than that extra summer term in the beginning. Some schools even go so far as to allow extra tutoring and extra help finding summer employment. If the opportunity works for you and it is a school you want to attend, it could be a great program.

EDIT: Upon doing a little further research, I think this may be a bad plan. According to Nova-South Eastern University; "The Alternative Admission Model Program in Legal Education (AAMPLE) is designed to provide an opportunity for law school admission to applicants who would otherwise be denied admission. The program consists of two law school courses. These were selected from our regular law school curriculum and modified to provide the most accurate indication of a student's potential for law school success. The courses are taught by tenured professors from our full-time faculty."

It doesn't really explain how this would help you gain admissions to a standard law school program.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:46 pm 

bump

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:01 pm 

Last edited by RonSantoRules on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:46 am 

RonSantoRules wrote:
Here are your two options:

A.) Pay money to take two law school courses, study for 60-80 hours per week in an accelerated program (http://www.nsulaw.nova.edu/aample/oncampus/faq.cfm for an example) with the possibility of NOT being admitted to the school anyways (depends on the school with the success rate) and also NOT earn credit for the completed classes?

or

B.) Retake the LSAT, increase score, get into law school without forking over hard earned $ for classes that won't count anways and maybe even get schools to give you money with a scholarship.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

I agree with you points above. However, upon completion of these course, they do give you credit towards completion of them and they count towards your transcript.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:28 am 

I think it's a waste of time. It doesn't guarantee anything.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:03 pm 

I agree with all this advice so far...But my concern is that I may not have other options (of course except for retaking LSAT for 3rd time) :lol:

Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:22 pm 

Last edited by RonSantoRules on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:02 pm 

RonSantoRules wrote:
What school is this program at?

I suppose I offered my advice based on a cost-benefit analysis. Even though you would be taking the LSAT for the 3rd time, it is a learnable test and you know ahead of time what will be on the test (LG, LR, RC) and what exactly you need to get on the test to get into the school of your choice.

With the AAMPLE program, you take law courses at an accelerated rate (I can't imagine how difficult it is to cram 2 courses into the end of your summer), and there probably is a 50/50 chance you won't be accepted. Plus, I am assuming you are graded on the curve just like normal law students (maybe a faulty assumption), and your performance is based on one end of course test that you don't really know how it is graded by your prof.

Do you think that if you could not get the LSAT score that you need you will be able to ace 2 law school examinations (which are 4-hour essay tests) at the end of the summer to simply gain entry into law school? It seems to be a risky proposition to me, and I personally would rather devote time and money to the LSAT, which can be taught and learned somewhat easier than a law school examination. I have no doubt that putting the $ you would spend on the AAMPLE program into a LSAT prep class might prove more beneficial in the long run.

What was your score on past tests? How did you study? How did you do on practice tests? Answers to these might give more insight into your situation.

Also keep in mind that I am a pessimist anyways and believe that law schools (and higher education in general) are looking for ways to take your money. AAMPLE seems to be just another way that they take students' money with no guarantee of any return.

I originally got a 141 in December of '05 :?
I took 2 1/2 years off, and took a Kaplan course and got only a 143 :cry: in June 08'
I know I'm not a "top-law-school" guy, but I would like to go to a local (Florida) school. Possibly Barry, Nova, or even Florida Coastal.
I was thinking that if I simply cannot get that score much higher (usually you do not get too much higher on a retake), that maybe one of these programs would be my only options.

I took Kaplan this time, did Mastery practice, pacing drills, 10+ practice test (under conditions), homework, lesson books, endurance books, plus I have the LG and LR Powerscore Bibles. To be honest, I think that Kaplan didn't help at all, and possibly hurt, because my RC score kept going down after using "their method" . I was told this was normal and would go up and then some, once I got the timing down. It didn't, it went down... :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:52 pm 

It seems everyone replying to this post does not have a good insight to the AAMPLE program. I took it last summer. It is 2 courses in 6 weeks. The material is not hard, but you must know the books back and front and must know how the grader grades. I think anyone can pass if they put their mind to it. Only 5 of the 30 students passed that were in my class, but a lot of the students were honestly very stupid. I am no gunner though. However, the program cost 3,000 and I couldn't raise my lsat score higher than a 145 after 3 tries. So I took this last opportunity and studied my ass off for 80 hours a week for 6 weeks.

I think it is worth is because I passed and I honestly think anyone can if they devote themselves to this program for 6 weeks. Yes u need to cut off friends and family, but it's really not that long and it is worth it in the long run. I just finished my first year in law school.

So good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:31 pm 

Dear prospective AAMPLE students,

Do not do it, retake the lsat, and spend the money on prep courses instead and go to a school without Aample! Avoid the tier 4 schools, they rip-off scams!

Last edited by Booya on Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:46 pm 

Im going to start a AAMPLE program now, I have to say that I have been getting ready since I got accepted into the program. I purchased the books and downloaded the syllabus and finish the readings already just to be ahead and not lost, i also contacted the professors that will be giving the courses they gave me plenty of good feedback on the work i did. Hey its your choice to take the program and give it your all, if you really want it go for it, no one has the answers only you can make it happen. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:17 pm 

congrats
i also got accept in the aample program got books but unable to download the syllabus. could you tell me how you did this?
i would greatly appreciate it.
debryl :D
bryanbgm wrote:
Im going to start a AAMPLE program now, I have to say that I have been getting ready since I got accepted into the program. I purchased the books and downloaded the syllabus and finish the readings already just to be ahead and not lost, i also contacted the professors that will be giving the courses they gave me plenty of good feedback on the work i did. Hey its your choice to take the program and give it your all, if you really want it go for it, no one has the answers only you can make it happen. :D

:D

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:28 pm 

Can you tell me how i can obtain a prior syllabus for aample program online? :?:
Booya wrote:
Dear 2009 prospective AAMPLE students,

I was a 2008 AAMPLE student, and I recall some of the students and I wanted to speak with someone who took the AAMPLE program, but could not find anyone! So, I want to answer any questions you may have concerning this program! I took the two online classes, and the two final exams, and did pass this program! Questions, just ask, and I will be very direct in the replies! :)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:47 pm 

Anyone going through Florida Coastal School of Law AAMPLE. Hit me up!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:04 pm 

For anyone accepted via AAMPLE you should give it a try. I was admitted to a NY law school via AAMPLE and am in the top 10% of my class after my first year and I had only scored a 149 on the LSAT. For those who are not great at these sort of exams (SAT, LSAT) do not give up. Hard work pays off. :!:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:06 pm 

:)

Last edited by lawlover829 on Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:18 pm 

Really? I did not think it was a bad opportunity. No matter how many times I could possibly take it the best I would probably do is get a low 150. For me it was not worth retaking it especially considering I took it 2x. Luckily for me and my fellow AAMPLE students (75% of 30 made it my year) we made itand not surprisingly almost all of us have over a 3.00.

Anyway, every person is different. But seriously if you cant get a cumulative GPA of 2.5 on 2 classes you honestly do not belong in law school, especially with a curve.

quote="lawlover829"]I decided not to.
IF I passed, I would be in at NYLS.
WTF.
Take the lsats again. It's worth it.[/quote]

Post subject: Alternative Admissions Model Program for Legal Education
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:56 am 

I can tell you that half these guys don't know the correct answer to your question from their butt.

FIRST OF ALL, there is NO curve. Everyone can get A's or, of course, everyone can get F's.

Average seems to be 60+ pages of comprehended reading per course per week.

You need a minimum of a 2.5 gpa or higher in both classes. For the lazy noobs out there, Getting an 'A' in one class does NOT entitle you to get a 'D' in the other and still pass.

You must remain professional with everyone at all times - even if they are really really annoying, dumb, lazy or rude.

After 6 weeks, there are two finals, one for each course. They last 3 hours each. You cannot dispute your grade, nor can you see the exam after.

It's $3,500, non-refundable. The two courses are Negotiable Instruments and Criminal Procedure. The books are a few hundred dollars.

You have to attend every class (online or in person, depending), complete every assignment and can only miss two classes or assignments total. Three and you're out, no questions.

It is not easy and has been described as "very difficult" by many.

It's over for this year, so I'm guessing my answer was too late? Good luck anyways...

P.S. Their SUCCESS/PASS rate is stated as anywhere from 20% (Yes, 2/10) to 50% (1/2) for past years. Sounds to me like a nice little windfall for the school during the summer - only having to admit 6/30 AAMPLE students and taking over $100k in tuition to do so...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:11 am 

I have a friend who went to UF for undergrad and was admitted to Nova through the AAMPLE program several years ago. Throughout law school, he always had to put in substantially more effort than his classmates. The material was more difficult for him, but he remained resolute and is now working on his LLM at NYLS.

If you decide to go for the AAMPLE program, be very careful of what you're getting into because law school may be a much greater struggle than you bargained for.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:05 pm 

I was also just accepted to the NYLS AAMPLE program 2010. I was wondering how does the program work; is there a specific time where all the students meet online for each class and listen to the professor give a lecture? When it comes to the tests and quizzes - is it mostly multiple choice or writing? Is it really as difficult as everyone says?

Please e-mail me at columbia5674@gmail.com if you attended the program or if you were accepted this year.

Thanks. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:37 pm 

DO NOT TAKE THE AAMPLE Program unless you are willing to throw your money away!

This program is rigged for the purpose of taking your money to increase their profits. I've heard students are already preselected and put into groups that the law school knows will be accepted. The rest are out of luck and money. You can't even get a copy of your graded exams to see what you got wrong. I don't know why this is. It just seems very sneaky and subjective no matter how well you do.

One of the groups didn't get any feedback until the DAY BEFORE EXAMS! Since your exam grade is your final grade, that's not much time to work with!

Regarding professionalism, a couple of students had emailed (one even called one of the professors crying) trying to justify their incorrect answers--after they were explicitly told not to contact the instructors. They still got in!

DON'T believe the people in charge of the program. They talk a good talk and imply that your chances are good to get accepted, but then they pull the rug out from under you. Your credits in the class don't count or even transfer after you pass.

I do not have any reservations in saying that this is a most bogus and arbitrary program I've ever come across. No matter what the program directors say, its just a hard sell and a waste of your time and money. Unless you've been specifically told that you are getting accepted, I would suggest that you retake your LSAT, instead. It's cheaper and you will have a better chance of getting accepted by a better program.

You have been warned.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:17 pm 

I disagree. I got in through AAMPLE and so did 15 other colleagues. We had a total class of 25. 1 dropped very early on in the program. It's a great program and prepares you well for your first year as a 1L.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:53 pm 

I got accepted for the Summer 2010 program. How was the program for those who have taken it? I got offered the Cooley one too but I live closer to Coastal and thats a better ranked school.