Advice for doing well in law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ari20dal7

Re: Should I Transfer from UCLA to HYS?

Postby ari20dal7 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:48 pm

Congrats from me as well. I hope you decide to stay, as a future Bruin, but you deserve all of these options. Best of luck.

Curious George

Postby Curious George » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:06 pm

Congratulations!

I'm looking forward to hearing your decision.

You certainly face a desirably dilemma, and I wish you the best of luck in making a decision.

gravity

Postby gravity » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:08 pm

Congrats, X!

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:55 pm

Congrats, thanks for the advice. I'm inspired to work harder.

M53201

Postby M53201 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:07 pm

Major congratulations!

wraaaa

Postby wraaaa » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:11 pm

Congrats, I have no idea what I would do in your situation, but you can't go wrong with any of those choices. I look forward to the writeups you have planned for us and would like to thank you for sharing your insight.

Harry Ballsogna

Postby Harry Ballsogna » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:11 pm

Huge congratulations, you definitely deserved it.

Your commitment and work ethic are truly inspiring. Its fun seeing hard work pay off.

hypocampus

Postby hypocampus » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:14 pm

I think I'm going with Stanford, mayhaps I'll see you there!

tls5

Postby tls5 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:15 pm

Congrats, you definitely earned it- hope to see you at YLS. Bring a sweater, it could get nippy.

edcrane

Postby edcrane » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:19 pm

Congrats! This thread has been immensely helpful, thank you for your many contributions.

JPeavy44

Postby JPeavy44 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:57 pm

wow congrats! thats amazing

acharpe

Postby acharpe » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:00 am

Thank you for the motivating thread. Congratulations on your success!

BradyToMoss

Postby BradyToMoss » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:11 am

Have fun at Yale. Congrats and thanks.

hypocampus

Postby hypocampus » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:27 am

tls5 wrote:Congrats, you definitely earned it- hope to see you at YLS. Bring a sweater, it could get nippy.

Precisely why, given Stanford's grade reform, I'm goin w/ Palo Alto. = ]

xeoh85

Postby xeoh85 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:30 am

We don't know yet if Stanford's grade reform will apply to 2L's and 3L's. Its still under debate. Only thing finalized is that grade reform is being implemented for 1L's for sure. Personally, I kinda want to have grades as a transfer student. Prove yourself, and all that...

-X

EmmyD

Postby EmmyD » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:40 am

xeoh, you are so money you have no idea.

Congratulations!

hypocampus

Postby hypocampus » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:22 am

xeoh85 wrote:We don't know yet if Stanford's grade reform will apply to 2L's and 3L's. Its still under debate. Only thing finalized is that grade reform is being implemented for 1L's for sure. Personally, I kinda want to have grades as a transfer student. Prove yourself, and all that...

-X

Ms. Deal indicated to me that the grade reform will apply to 2/3Ls.

I thought that, as well, but I talked to a friend of mine who transferred to Yale, and he said that getting a whole bunch of H's is good enough...Judges know, in terms of clerkships and all that.

EmmyD

Postby EmmyD » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:26 am

LOL, imagine the phone call:

Deal: Congratulations.
Hypocampus: Soooo... on an entirely unrelated note, does that new grade reform apply to 2Ls and 3Ls?
Deal: Uh... yeah.

hypocampus

Postby hypocampus » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:31 am

EmmyD wrote:LOL, imagine the phone call:

Deal: Congratulations.
Hypocampus: Soooo... on an entirely unrelated note, does that new grade reform apply to 2Ls and 3Ls?
Deal: Uh... yeah.

She brought it up herself, jerk!

I love the lady, but she is definitely...Terse, at times.

cord

Postby cord » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:31 am

hey guys. congrats X, btw, on your acceptances, and insight in this thread.

i have a question for you, and anyone else that knows or has gone through the 1L experience.

it seems like a general theme in all 1l advice is: go and do as many practice exams as possible from your professor. In your guys' experiences, though, was it always easy to get lots of exams for each one of your classes? i'm thinking about visiting professors, new professors, and just other ways in which it would be difficult to have more than say, 1 or 2 exams. what to do then?

if i work hard, i just want to do well, dammit!

hope you guys are enjoying your summer.

EmmyD

Postby EmmyD » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:35 am

, was it always easy to get lots of exams for each one of your classes? i

I think it depends on the school. There is an online exam bank for Michigan, so you don't really need to approach professors.

cord

Postby cord » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:40 am

yeah, i think its similar for other schools too. but, i suspect that those banks are only as good as exams that are available vis-a-vis how often the professor teaches, whether s/hes new or old, etc.

hypocampus

Postby hypocampus » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:42 am

cord wrote:In your guys' experiences, though, was it always easy to get lots of exams for each one of your classes? i'm thinking about visiting professors, new professors, and just other ways in which it would be difficult to have more than say, 1 or 2 exams.

That's a really good question. First of all, I would recommend going to your teachers even if there are 10 tests online, just to talk to them, ask them exactly what they like about the exams and what they look for (law professors don't typically make many comments on an exam), and just to make it known that you're interested. If there are few or no exams available online, ask them during office hours to spend some time in class talking about their preferred exam method. They'll appreciate you not wanting to get a relative advantage, and your classmates will appreciate you taking the initiative. One other thing is to look at other exams for that class available in the library, and perhaps presenting them to the professor, asking which questions are closest to the style that they would employ, and maybe even which answers. Professors understand that practice exams are the primary studying method and should be willing to help you if there is some sort of paucity of materials offered by the school due to no fault of your own.

snotrocket

Postby snotrocket » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:28 am

In your guys' experiences, though, was it always easy to get lots of exams for each one of your classes? i'm thinking about visiting professors, new professors, and just other ways in which it would be difficult to have more than say, 1 or 2 exams.

If your professor is not forthcoming, then make sure you check the library as well as any online exam bank. The bound volumes in the library may have many past exams that nobody ever got around to posting on the web. For visiting professors, check out their faculty bio pages or the library website at their home school. I've seen a couple of visiting profs who have better and more accessible exam archives on their home pages back at their own school than some of the natives at the school where they're visiting. If you're desperate and can't find anything online, then make nice with a librarian at your school and see if they'll talk to their fellow bookworms at the visiting prof's school. They may have offline copies that you can con them into duplicating or loaning.

washdc23

Postby washdc23 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:51 pm

xeoh85,

Is there any way you can e-mail me your outlines and OneNote files? I'm starting at UCLA this fall and any help I can get would be GREATLY appreciated. Of course, I promise to share any materials that I receive.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”