Ideal age for law school??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Go Bears

Re: Ideal age for law school??

Postby Go Bears » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:22 pm

No one here has had a raise in two-plus years. Company-wise wage freeze.

bobo11111111111

Postby bobo11111111111 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:42 pm

Wow, I didn't think this thread would get so many hits. I guess i'm just taking my time, and I want to make the best choice. Given that, I worry about putting it off too long and if it will ever be too late. But I think must of you gave me some peace of mind. Going to law school around 26-27 might not be too bad.

cdownard

Postby cdownard » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:54 pm

Company wide wage freeze....that sucks. I'm sorry. Job happiness is a big thing. Like you said, and it seems, you're unhappy. I think anyone on this forum will more than likely enjoy practicing law.

I imagine if you're 82 then practicing law for very long might be out of the question but anything else is probably fine! lol

Just trying to picture my grandfather heading in with his cane and hat. He's like 5'6" or maybe shorter too....I swear...If I saw him in a class I'd have to ask if he was lost. Since he's my grandfather I suppose if I saw him in class I could guarantee he was lost. How interesting that would be.

LoseItToMe

Postby LoseItToMe » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:00 pm

cdownard wrote:Company wide wage freeze....that sucks. I'm sorry. Job happiness is a big thing. Like you said, and it seems, you're unhappy. I think anyone on this forum will more than likely enjoy practicing law.

I imagine if you're 82 then practicing law for very long might be out of the question but anything else is probably fine! lol

Just trying to picture my grandfather heading in with his cane and hat. He's like 5'6" or maybe shorter too....I swear...If I saw him in a class I'd have to ask if he was lost. Since he's my grandfather I suppose if I saw him in class I could guarantee he was lost. How interesting that would be.

are you drunk?

nicola.kirwan

Postby nicola.kirwan » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:58 pm

nativedelta wrote:You know it's bad when you end up discussing politics and social issues like abortion because it's more comfortable than trying to understand the music/sports/family topics the younger ones are bringing up.

I am so out of touch. :roll:

You know, it might not be so bad. There are those oddball early 20somethings that act a lot older than their peers. I'm 23 and would feel more comfortable talking politics, etc., than music and whatnot. And if I do talk about that stuff, it's mostly because of the group...I'd probably be waiting to talk to someone older!

I think a place like law school would be the best bet at meeting some of those types.

LoseItToMe

Postby LoseItToMe » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:27 am

nicola.kirwan wrote:I think a place like law school would be the best bet at meeting some of those types.

or the lounge!

Son of Cicero

Postby Son of Cicero » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:31 am

Ideal age for law school??

The younger you start, the better. You'll need to cultivate lawyerly habits of thought in order to successfully steer your way through the rest of your professional life, so it's best to have your mind compressed into this form while it still retains a greater degree of plasticity. As long as you aren't burned out on school, start as early as you can. Obviously the peril is that you might not realize law is wrong for you if you commit yourself to the field before you are ready, but we can't expect this variable to be present in every situation. Individuals are prepared to make mature decisions at different ages, so I doubt we can agree on any prescribed waiting period for all applicants.

jms263

Postby jms263 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:46 pm

Clever username wrote:I'll be 28 by the time I enter law school next fall. I guess that's my ideal age.

Truth.

RLP

Postby RLP » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:53 pm

badlandz wrote:
RLP wrote:Heh, I'll be 49 by the time I start. :shock:

I wonder if anybody will even talk to me, though I don't look a day over 40.

I'll talk to you... probably because the others won't talk to me :D

Outstanding, badlandz. Which schools are you looking at? Actually, I did some checking around and most schools seem to have some over-40s.

Also, in my experience everyone acts the same age after the first couple of rounds. :lol:

zeezoo

Postby zeezoo » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:22 pm

The younger you start, the better.

If you are interested in public interest or something I might agree with this. If you are interested in biglaw, which is where most top law students end up, I think that statement is wrong for most people.

IMO there is a huge advantage of actually working for a large company for 1-2 years if you plan to advise large companies for the rest of your life. This is very easy to overlook if you are coming straight from undergrad, which I think you are? Strangely enough, just a year or so of working for a large company gives you a great deal of perspective about how large companies are actually run, and the office politics that get tied into every organizational decision.

How could you possible understand the context of a merger/acquisition deal without having ever worked for a large company?

How could you properly advise a client about a sexual harassment claim if you have never worked outside a prissy law cubicle?

Granted, I understand that lawyers are often involved in the nitty gritty details of these issues and context of the situation may not be required, but it certainly would help.

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:42 pm

Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:33 pm

Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2old4this

Postby 2old4this » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:26 pm

RLP

I'm a year older than you. I too am wondering how this is going to go. Looks like I'll be in New Orleans this fall. Do you know where you're going?

RLP

Postby RLP » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:32 am

bad and 2old :wink: --I don't have a great UG GPA, but I've scored pretty well practicing the LSAT, and want to go NorCal first choice, so UC Hastings, Santa Clara, San Francisco and McGeorge are possible. Even a 175 would probably not get into Berkeley. My other preference is DC/MD/VA area schools.

roleary

Postby roleary » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:47 am

Younger the better! I am however biased and virtually everyone else will disagree with me here, but jump straight to ls after you get tha ba, and get the ba early if possible! Everyone waits and employers dont see too many 23-4 yr old ls grads, thats gotta stand for something, as long as you do well of course.
Ill see you there! :mrgreen:

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:33 am

Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aleph209

Postby aleph209 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:21 pm

i can't imagine missing out on the opportunities i had over the past 5 years between undergrad and law. heck, i didn't even decide to apply to law schools until september.

that said, i'm with all of you 27+ who are a bit worried about the young 'uns. but what can we do? i'm living off campus, as the dorm scene holds no interest to me, and i'll work at tuning out the cockiness that comes from never having been out of school.

i hear that the age gap will make some profs will like us better and it'll help us get better clinics. and im looking forward to hanging up my suit for a few years.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:01 pm

I'll be 24. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:22 pm

Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

misseeee

Postby misseeee » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Clever username wrote:
hotdogs wrote:im currently 19 and iwll be starteing this yr

prob a bit young, but im planning to start my own business when im 24 so i gotta get a moveon

why am i doing law if im gonna start a biz you ask? beceus the business i will start will involve a lot of law so it helps to be acquainted with it

I certainly hope this business of yours doesn't require proper use of the English language. Or at least has a spellcheck.

As for the content of your post, I simply don't believe you.

OMG you took the words right out of my fingers. Also, "right on" to the guy with the hot-dog comment.

mirandaatlaw

Postby mirandaatlaw » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:59 am

that's not hard to believe, I will be finishing law school at 26, ehhh thats not bad.. It will be worth it in the end! Im so excited :)

bobina

Postby bobina » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:06 am

I will be 22 upon entry, a bit old for my liking, but eh, at least I'll have my youthful vigor relative to the other used rags in 1L.

FrenchiePatootie

Postby FrenchiePatootie » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:26 am

I'll be 20 going in.

I think the whole work experience thing works out for some but if you know what you want in life early, I don't any problem with just going for it. Only difference is that your first real experience will be in law ... and maybe you'll even make partner earlier. :)

Although there is nothing wrong with being older either, unless you plan on leaving a good paying job to get in debt at some poorly ranked school.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:09 am

I'll turn 22 in April of my 1L. Decided I'd take a year off after UG 'cause I was little concerned that not being able to go into bars and whatnot would put an uncomfortable damper on things.

voltron

Postby voltron » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:36 am

Well, I am on the old end, I'm the oldest one in my class, but many dont believe me when I tell them my age. :) I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”