best rejection letters Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Bronze

best rejection letters

Post by 18488 » Sat May 03, 2008 11:50 pm

Last edited by 18488 on Fri May 16, 2008 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeezoo

Bronze

Re: best rejection letters

Post by zeezoo » Sun May 04, 2008 12:28 am

except when you consider they could have replaced their 2 page letter with:

"We threw darts and you lost. Take care, Dean Tom"

BlueDevilSarah

New

Post by BlueDevilSarah » Sun May 04, 2008 12:52 am

I remember Berkeley's rejection letter last cycle.....they were SO nice. You're very right.

Some of the rejection letters you get from firms are pretty awesome. I'll have to go through that stack and find a few gems for you.

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Sun May 04, 2008 12:56 am

I never read past the word "unfortunately" without throwing down the paper and running off crying. From what I've heard, though Berkeley's letter was very touching, indeed.

rmyoun06

New

Post by rmyoun06 » Sun May 04, 2008 1:14 am

sbrown83 wrote:So, now that almost everyone's cycle is over, barring waitlist removals, which rejection letters did you think were the best?

By far the best rejection letter I got was Berkeley's two-page effusive apology for not being able to accept me--it sounded like a really nice girl breaking up with me in the healthiest/most diplomatic way.
Fuck that. Berkeley's letter just seemed patronizing, to me. Harvard's was best - short and to the point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pyke

Bronze

Post by Pyke » Sun May 04, 2008 1:34 am

Harvard's what stupid. They didn't even mail it to you.

conch republic

New

Post by conch republic » Sun May 04, 2008 3:14 am

Last edited by conch republic on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YoungFogey

New

Post by YoungFogey » Sun May 04, 2008 9:59 am

Stanford's was very nice. Kind of an "it's us, not you" without crossing the line into patronizing.

stavand

New

Post by stavand » Sun May 04, 2008 10:19 am

The only rejection letter I got was from Harvard. The basic gist was that :

this is a competitive process and they must take the best students, and you weren't it. Good luck in your non-Harvard future. I'm sure you won't do as well as if you had been admitted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Sun May 04, 2008 10:36 am

Stanford's rejection was so kind that I almost wanted to thank them. Almost.

nellie06

New

Post by nellie06 » Sun May 04, 2008 10:50 am

I love how uva's rejection letter cites the average gpa and lsat of the applicants. They might as well have drawn a picture of kids playing dodgeball and put an arrow over a fat kid that says 'you' and another arrow over the kids playing dodgeball to say 'us'. That would've been a lot more succint.

snap

New

Post by snap » Sun May 04, 2008 11:01 am

Yale's was the only one I saw, and it was pretty concise. Fair enough - I don't need any coddling after being slapped in the face. :wink:

stavand

New

Post by stavand » Sun May 04, 2008 11:32 am

I just wish Harvard's hadn't been an email. I at least wanted a nice envelope, some letterhead, something

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

snap

New

Post by snap » Sun May 04, 2008 12:18 pm

I can see wanting a physical rejection letter, but if you think about it, we send everything to them via email, so why do we take so much umbrage at receiving a decision in the same way?

rui

New

Post by rui » Sun May 04, 2008 2:08 pm

///
Last edited by rui on Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

YoungFogey

New

Post by YoungFogey » Sun May 04, 2008 2:42 pm

snap wrote:I can see wanting a physical rejection letter, but if you think about it, we send everything to them via email, so why do we take so much umbrage at receiving a decision in the same way?
Actually I think that is the rub for most people -- Harvard won't accept anything via email. Even withdrawals need to be hard copy.

Ben Matlock

New

Post by Ben Matlock » Sun May 04, 2008 3:08 pm

YoungFogey wrote:
snap wrote:I can see wanting a physical rejection letter, but if you think about it, we send everything to them via email, so why do we take so much umbrage at receiving a decision in the same way?
Actually I think that is the rub for most people -- Harvard won't accept anything via email. Even withdrawals need to be hard copy.
They actually accepted my waitlist response via e-mail. Maybe they were tired of hearing about my wardrobe...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sunking1456

New

Post by Sunking1456 » Sun May 04, 2008 3:18 pm

nellie06 wrote:I love how uva's rejection letter cites the average gpa and lsat of the applicants. They might as well have drawn a picture of kids playing dodgeball and put an arrow over a fat kid that says 'you' and another arrow over the kids playing dodgeball to say 'us'. That would've been a lot more succint.
lol, that just made my day better.

BlueDevilSarah

New

Post by BlueDevilSarah » Sun May 04, 2008 3:23 pm

I remember Harvard being finicky like that....I had the hardest time getting them to change my address on file. They needed a hardcopy, a signature, my birth certificate, and a DNA sample, it seemed.

They DID send out physical rejection letters last year, though.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sun May 04, 2008 3:54 pm

nellie06 wrote:I love how uva's rejection letter cites the average gpa and lsat of the applicants. They might as well have drawn a picture of kids playing dodgeball and put an arrow over a fat kid that says 'you' and another arrow over the kids playing dodgeball to say 'us'. That would've been a lot more succint.
Brilliant.

misterstroma

New

Post by misterstroma » Sun May 04, 2008 4:07 pm

Here's my collection, I think Berkeley is my fave so far:
(George Washington) '--we have completed our review of your application for admission. We commend you for your many academic and professional accomplishments. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you admission to our fall 2008 entering class. Each year we receive thousands of applications for the limited number of available seats in our program. As a result, we must deny admission to many qualified candidates.
Given the strength of your application, we have no doubt that you will be offered admission to a number of fine law schools. We wish you great success in your legal studies at the institution you ultimately decide to attend.
We appreciate your patience throughout our admissions process and thank you for your interest in our law school. Sincerely, etc
(Fordham) The Admissions Committee has carefully considered your application and has concluded with regret that it cannot offer you admission to the School of Law. This year the Admissions Committee finds itself faced with the hard fact that it has many more qualified applicants than it has places in the class. The complex decisions that this situation requires make the committee's task a difficult one. No matter which admissions criteria are relied upon to select the class, the vast majority of applicants, most of whom are qualified to enroll, must be denied admission.
We do hope you understand that this decision is in no way a reflection of your abilities, motivation, or capacity to make a significant contribution to law school or to the legal profession. The fact is we are appreciative of and flattered by the interest you have shown in attending our school. On behalf of Fordham Law School I wish you the very best in all your future endeavors. Sincerely, etc
(Berkeley) After reviewing thoroughly your applicatIon lor adniission to UC Berkeley School of Law, the Admissions Committee has decided, with regret, not to offer you a place in the Class of 2011. Our decision was not easy. The majority of our applicants are well-qualified to pursue the study of law, and indeed many of them are qualified to pursue that study at Berkeley. But with more than thirty applicants competing for each place in the class, our choices must be highly selective. Although our review process is thorough, it is also human, fallible, and in part subjective.
You are to be congratulated on your accomplishments, and I hope that you will be admitted at other law schools. If Berkeley Law remains your first choice you may wish to consider applying to transfer at the end of your first year at another ABA-approved law school. Transfer applicants are evaluated primarily on their first-year performance, and we offer advanced standing admission to 35-40 students annually from an applicant pool of approximately 250-300 candidates.
I am sorry that this letter must convey disappointing news. We wish you all the best in your applications to other law schools and in your career. Thank you very much for your interest in Berkeley Law and for entrusting us with your application. Sincerely, etc

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

woodford

New

Post by woodford » Sun May 04, 2008 4:40 pm

"after carefully reviewing your letters of recommendation, personal statement, and graduate record (if applicable) we regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you admission at this time."

i felt like writing back and saying: "go out and get your dicks caught in a lawnmower (if applicable)."

terrible.

t00i

New

Post by t00i » Sun May 04, 2008 7:17 pm

:idea: :idea: :idea:
Last edited by t00i on Sat May 17, 2008 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

idrinkcoffee

New

Post by idrinkcoffee » Mon May 05, 2008 3:35 am

woodford wrote:"after carefully reviewing your letters of recommendation, personal statement, and graduate record (if applicable) we regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you admission at this time."

i felt like writing back and saying: "go out and get your dicks caught in a lawnmower (if applicable)."
This made me laugh out loud. :lol:

Bronze

Post by 18488 » Mon May 05, 2008 1:26 pm

Last edited by 18488 on Fri May 16, 2008 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”