Seat Deposits

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jonjds

Seat Deposits

Postby Jonjds » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:49 pm

Are seat deposits binding? I have been admitted at 6 schools and 4 of them I have ruled out and withdrawn from. So that leaves a decision between Michigan and Georgetown. However, do my schedule, I havnt been able to go visit either the schools and the deposits are due this week. I would like to be able to put a seat deposit down at both schools so I can go visit as soon as my finals are over to make sure I make the right choice. Is this allowed? Is it unethical? I just feel as that as long as I am serioulsy considering both schools, it shouldnt be that big a deal. However, I have no idea if this is possible, please let me know. Thanks

VaultBound

Re: Seat Deposits

Postby VaultBound » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:51 pm

If the contract you sign doesn't mention withdrawing from all schools you've already been accepted to then you should be fine putting down both deposits.

standre2008

Postby standre2008 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:55 pm

Just call the school's admission office and ask. They will give you a simple yes or no, most times a no.

joco116

Postby joco116 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:56 pm

Michigan acknowledges that many students make multiple deposits and according to the admissions office they do not have an issue with it.

lishi

Postby lishi » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:57 pm

Or you could call and ask if they will grant you an extension. Some schools will do that no questions asked.

NoSe

Postby NoSe » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:26 pm

I think Georgetown is stricter than Michigan. At any rate, the multiple deposit notification goes out on June 15th.

Jonjds

Postby Jonjds » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:51 pm

What exactly is the multiple seat deposit notification?

KidA23

Postby KidA23 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:55 pm

This year - for the first time - schools will be given the names of admitted applicants who have submitted seat deposits at multiple schools. Not sure what 'action' schools will take as a result of this - mostly nothing, I'd guess - but it's just something to keep in mind. Just be sure you don't double deposit to a school that has a binding deposit commitment and you'll be fine.

observationalist

Postby observationalist » Thu May 01, 2008 5:00 pm

KidA23 wrote:This year - for the first time - schools will be given the names of admitted applicants who have submitted seat deposits at multiple schools. Not sure what 'action' schools will take as a result of this - mostly nothing, I'd guess - but it's just something to keep in mind. Just be sure you don't double deposit to a school that has a binding deposit commitment and you'll be fine.

I would think the schools will have to take action once they get the list, particularly the ones with smaller class sizes like Vandy & Cornell. They will probably contact the students who clearly haven't made a decision by then and see if they can get an answer from them... even only a few prospectives holding seats they're not going to take could have an impact on the overall medians, particularly if they have $$$ offers and likely higher numbers than those currently on the WL.

I also know there's a big push for schools to start improving dialogue, so I could see admissions people contacting each other to see if they have commitments from certain people. This would parallel developments like those suggested by the Carnegie Foundation, where faculties start sharing curriculum reforms and more ethical approaches with an aim to improve legal education on the whole. The two aren't entirely unrelated... having each school's class locked down earlier would decrease a lot of the stress applicants have to go through even before they enroll and prevent the stigma that law school is supposed to be highly competitive. Encouraging the students lucky enough to have multiple decisions by 'outing' them in mid-summer goes a long way towards limiting the objective numbers game these schools are playing. There will be less of an early-August rush to replace withdrawn applicants with the highest numbers possible that are still available, and instead offers can be made to applicants who've shown a sincere interest in the particular school they've been WL'ed at.

So, IMO reducing multiple seat deposits + encouraging prospectives to contact admissions offices sooner = less objective admissions process = lower stress for large %'s of entering law students = happier and healthier legal community. Which, as you'll soon find, is a major concern. Discuss.

themillsman22

Postby themillsman22 » Thu May 01, 2008 6:22 pm

I would like to be able to put a seat deposit down at both schools so I can go visit as soon as my finals are over to make sure I make the right choice. Is this allowed? Is it unethical? I just feel as that as long as I am serioulsy considering both schools, it shouldnt be that big a deal.

Yea, just make sure the deposit is non-binding (call or e-mail). Similar situation happened to me. I wanted to visit a school, and I thought the deposit was due on the 30th, but it was actually the 15th because of a scholarship. I realized at the last minute when they sent me an e-mail on the 14th. I had to put down the deposit so I could go visit.
I visited as planned less than a week later, but had an awful experience, and withdrew on the spot at the law school. I also had to eat my massive deposit. I spoke to the director of admissions in person about possibly refunding the deposit, and she said "they don't even have a means to do it."
Moral of the story: it can be done as long as the deposit is non-binding, but be careful because in all likelihood you're out a deposit fee.

Edit: grammar

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”