ACT to LSAT correlation?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
The Pen Is Mightier
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:18 pm

Re: ACT to LSAT correlation?

Postby The Pen Is Mightier » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:57 pm

edcrane wrote:
LSAT = .0333*(SAT combined) + 121.07


Wow. That got me my LSAT exactly. Like it was .018 off. That would've saved me a lot of trouble. Stupid LSAC and their making us actually take the test.

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: ACT to LSAT correlation?

Postby Pricer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:59 pm

I didn't know people actually prepped for the SAT and ACT.

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: ACT to LSAT correlation?

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:00 pm

The Pen Is Mightier wrote:
edcrane wrote:
LSAT = .0333*(SAT combined) + 121.07


Wow. That got me my LSAT exactly. Like it was .018 off. That would've saved me a lot of trouble. Stupid LSAC and their making us actually take the test.



crap didn't think that i would basically be posting my sat online. I didn't mean it that way. Although i didn't even do the math right somehow with my calculator the first time lol

so I can truthfully say that is not my SAT score
Last edited by s0ph1e2007 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
The Pen Is Mightier
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:18 pm

Re: ACT to LSAT correlation?

Postby The Pen Is Mightier » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:04 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
The Pen Is Mightier wrote:
edcrane wrote:
LSAT = .0333*(SAT combined) + 121.07


Wow. That got me my LSAT exactly. Like it was .018 off. That would've saved me a lot of trouble. Stupid LSAC and their making us actually take the test.



haha this gave me a 196 on the lsat
yes i aced it! no need to check that feb test email, i destroyed that test


Nice 2250, but i think you gotta not count that newfangled writing section.

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: ACT to LSAT correlation?

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:11 pm

The Pen Is Mightier wrote:

Nice 2250, but i think you gotta not count that newfangled writing section.


see above :)

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: ACT to LSAT correlation?

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:47 am

This makes me feel really good about my chances since I got a 33 on the ACT with moderate preparation (probably intense by high school standards). If I could get a 165 on the LSAT right now I would give my left nut.

User avatar
mcubberly
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: ACT to LSAT correlation?

Postby mcubberly » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:52 am

The Pen Is Mightier wrote:
edcrane wrote:
LSAT = .0333*(SAT combined) + 121.07


Wow. That got me my LSAT exactly. Like it was .018 off. That would've saved me a lot of trouble. Stupid LSAC and their making us actually take the test.


+1 lol. Weird.

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: ACT to LSAT correlation?

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:55 am

Never took the ACT... got 1380 on the SAT, 164 and 175 on the LSAT. The SAT seems so long ago... about 10 years, now, while my 175 on the LSAT was a couple months ago.

I almost aced the verbal section of the SAT but I wasn't very prepared for the math. I didn't really bother with it.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: ACT to LSAT correlation?

Postby ahduth » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:16 am

35, no prep; 173, maybe 3 prep tests total (took them in pieces, on the train, etc).

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: ACT to LSAT correlation?

Postby Kabuo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:35 am

ACT = 32, no prep
LSAT = 165 with very light prep, 172 with ~30 PTs prep. 176 with more prep.
Last edited by Kabuo on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: ACT to LSAT correlation?

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:03 am

ACT = 27 (zero prep, had already committed to and been admitted to a school on a sports scholarship before I took it, BOMBED science)

LSAT = 169 (quite a bit of prep over a 4 month span, two points below my average, will be retaking)

Ludacrispat26
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:33 am

Re: ACT to LSAT correlation?

Postby Ludacrispat26 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:07 pm

SAT: 1360 (2100/2400)
ACT: 31
LSAT: 170

There are just simply different types of intelligence. My relatively poor performance on standardized tests as a high school junior was a combination of laziness to learn the material and a lack of intellectual preparedness by my awful high school education. The LSAT tests logic, and I am simply very logical; the ability to memorize vocabulary and/or remember mathematical concepts are not logical in nature (i.e. they must be learned, not intuited). The LSAT and ACT/SAT are simply different tests of intelligence, and my personal belief is that the LSAT is much more valuable in determining "true" intelligence, although I admit I may be biased in that belief.
Last edited by Ludacrispat26 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: ACT to LSAT correlation?

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:12 pm

Ludacrispat26 wrote:SAT: 1360 (2100/2400)
ACT: 31
LSAT: 170

There are just simply different types of intelligence. My relatively poor performance on standardized tests as a high school junior was a combination of laziness to learn the material and a lack of intellectual preparedness by my awful high school education. The LSAT tests logic, and I am simply very logical; the ability to memorize vocabulary and/or remember mathematical concepts are not logical in nature (i.e. they must be learned, not intuited). The LSAT and ACT/SAT are simply different beliefs, and my personal belief is that the LSAT is much more valuable in determining "true" intelligence, although I admit I may be biased in that belief.



Your ACT and LSAT score are actually almost perfectly parallel in terms of percentile. So, unless you also think you did poorly on the LSAT, you can't reasonably think you did poorly on the ACT.

User avatar
Na_Swatch
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: ACT to LSAT correlation?

Postby Na_Swatch » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:15 pm

mcubberly wrote:
The Pen Is Mightier wrote:
edcrane wrote:
LSAT = .0333*(SAT combined) + 121.07


Wow. That got me my LSAT exactly. Like it was .018 off. That would've saved me a lot of trouble. Stupid LSAC and their making us actually take the test.


+1 lol. Weird.


wow strange that formula worked for me too... gave me a 173.6 LSAT and i got a 173

User avatar
jackattack17
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:38 pm

Re: ACT to LSAT correlation?

Postby jackattack17 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:17 pm

sat: 1470 little bit of prep
lsat: 161 fair amount of prep
didn't take act, most southern schools didn't require it

so, not a good predictor for me.

on a slightly different note, some schools have asked for sat scores (american and a couple others). will my relatively high sat help/hurt my chances at getting in? i think it could go either way and i was wondering about this. it's probably inconsequential though.

User avatar
jackattack17
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:38 pm

Re: ACT to LSAT correlation?

Postby jackattack17 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:18 pm

by these predictors i should've score in the 170-172 range. oh well

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: ACT to LSAT correlation?

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:22 pm

ACT (didn't study, idiot): 26
LSAT cold: 151
LSAT: 159

Ludacrispat26
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:33 am

Re: ACT to LSAT correlation?

Postby Ludacrispat26 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:24 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Ludacrispat26 wrote:SAT: 1360 (2100/2400)
ACT: 31
LSAT: 170

There are just simply different types of intelligence. My relatively poor performance on standardized tests as a high school junior was a combination of laziness to learn the material and a lack of intellectual preparedness by my awful high school education. The LSAT tests logic, and I am simply very logical; the ability to memorize vocabulary and/or remember mathematical concepts are not logical in nature (i.e. they must be learned, not intuited). The LSAT and ACT/SAT are simply different beliefs, and my personal belief is that the LSAT is much more valuable in determining "true" intelligence, although I admit I may be biased in that belief.



Your ACT and LSAT score are actually almost perfectly parallel in terms of percentile. So, unless you also think you did poorly on the LSAT, you can't reasonably think you did poorly on the ACT.


Self-selecting sample. Almost everyone takes the SAT, whereas not everyone takes the LSAT. Compared to my college peers, my LSAT score was pretty high. Compared to my high school peers, my SAT score was "ok."

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: ACT to LSAT correlation?

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:30 pm

Ludacrispat26 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Ludacrispat26 wrote:SAT: 1360 (2100/2400)
ACT: 31
LSAT: 170

There are just simply different types of intelligence. My relatively poor performance on standardized tests as a high school junior was a combination of laziness to learn the material and a lack of intellectual preparedness by my awful high school education. The LSAT tests logic, and I am simply very logical; the ability to memorize vocabulary and/or remember mathematical concepts are not logical in nature (i.e. they must be learned, not intuited). The LSAT and ACT/SAT are simply different beliefs, and my personal belief is that the LSAT is much more valuable in determining "true" intelligence, although I admit I may be biased in that belief.



Your ACT and LSAT score are actually almost perfectly parallel in terms of percentile. So, unless you also think you did poorly on the LSAT, you can't reasonably think you did poorly on the ACT.


Self-selecting sample. Almost everyone takes the SAT, whereas not everyone takes the LSAT. Compared to my college peers, my LSAT score was pretty high. Compared to my high school peers, my SAT score was "ok."


Ew, there is some truth to this, but i'm not sure if everyone out of college took the LSAT that the percentiles would really change. As you can see, percentiles have actually gotten higher since the overall amount of people taking it has gotten larger. There are plenty of idiots already taking the test and A LOT of really smart people not taking it. I'd imagine it would stay roughly the same, even make your score look worse. I just think you are having a bit of a skewed perspective. Just my 2 cents. But, of course, it's not like this matters or it could be proved one way or another.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: ACT to LSAT correlation?

Postby DeeCee » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:32 pm

edcrane wrote:
LSAT = .0333*(SAT combined) + 121.07


Unfortunately this is true.

SAT 1160 (old scoring where 1600 is perfect)
LSAT 157
LSAT based on formula: 159.

Can GRE scores be correlated as well?

User avatar
lsat_fear
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:58 pm

Re: ACT to LSAT correlation?

Postby lsat_fear » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:35 pm

ACT 24 (as a freshman)
SAT 1410 (as a junior)
LSAT 177 (third try)

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13910
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: ACT to LSAT correlation?

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:03 pm

ACT: either 32 or 34 (hey, it was 13 years ago). No prep. I found it considerably easier than the SAT.
LSAT: 171. 7 weeks of somewhat half-assed prep.
SAT: 1400 (old scoring, out of 1600). No prep beyond taking the PSAT the year before.

JakeL
Posts: 453
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: ACT to LSAT correlation?

Postby JakeL » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:55 pm

ACT-27 no studying
SAT-1260/1600, studied the math for an hour or so.
LSAT-166 took prep class

ATR
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: ACT to LSAT correlation?

Postby ATR » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:29 pm

SAT: 2060/2400 or 1420/1600
ACT: 29, 29
LSAT: 164, 169
Last edited by ATR on Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tttlllsss
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: ACT to LSAT correlation?

Postby tttlllsss » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:53 pm

About 1/2 of the posts here have LSAT scores in the 95th percentile or above.

This is great data in proving a correlation.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests