How to decide on law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kennedyiu

New

How to decide on law school

Postby kennedyiu » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:39 pm

I’m wondering if I should go to a law school that is going to cost less but I don’t want to live in the state that it is in, or a law school that is more expensive but it is in the region I want to live in after law school? Thanks in advance!

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Re: How to decide on law school

Postby decimalsanddollars » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:33 pm

This is a super general question, and the answer for you depends on a lot of things, including:
1) the rank/employment outcomes of each school, and the difference between the two;
2) how much each school costs for you, and the total cost difference;
3) what kind of work you want to do, and where; and
4) whether either school would enable you to do that work, in that place, assuming average performance during law school.

You didn't give this information when asking the question, so I looked at your other posts. It looks like you have significant room to improve on your LSAT, and I highly recommend you try to do so. Law school is extremely expensive without a scholarship, and your numbers will probably not get you a substantial scholarship at a school worth attending (or a full ride anywhere). That said, if you must attend a school outside of the top 15-20 in the country, you should try to attend law school in the city where you want to work and pay as little as possible to do so. Placement below the top schools is very regional, so it is harder to get a job in, for example, Miami coming from Ohio State than FIU, even though Ohio State is ranked better.

kennedyiu

New

Postby kennedyiu » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:48 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. Definitely have given me some things to think about!

decimalsanddollars wrote:This is a super general question, and the answer for you depends on a lot of things, including:
1) the rank/employment outcomes of each school, and the difference between the two;
2) how much each school costs for you, and the total cost difference;
3) what kind of work you want to do, and where; and
4) whether either school would enable you to do that work, in that place, assuming average performance during law school.

You didn't give this information when asking the question, so I looked at your other posts. It looks like you have significant room to improve on your LSAT, and I highly recommend you try to do so. Law school is extremely expensive without a scholarship, and your numbers will probably not get you a substantial scholarship at a school worth attending (or a full ride anywhere). That said, if you must attend a school outside of the top 15-20 in the country, you should try to attend law school in the city where you want to work and pay as little as possible to do so. Placement below the top schools is very regional, so it is harder to get a job in, for example, Miami coming from Ohio State than FIU, even though Ohio State is ranked better.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:21 am

kennedyiu wrote:Thank you so much for your reply. Definitely have given me some things to think about!

Did it make you think about giving more specifics so people can provide more concrete advice for your situation?

FND

Bronze

Postby FND » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:23 pm

generally speaking, though it does depend on your career goals, the following order is good:

1) HYS. If you're accepted to any of these, go there (or to a T14 with money)

If you're shooting for biglaw or federal:
2) the rest of the T14
3) regional powerhouse with scholarship (you might not get what you want, but you've got a shot, and if you miss the debt won't be too bad)

If you're looking for a state job, you're ok with smaller firms, want something local, public interest, etc.:
2) regional powerhouse with scholarship
3) the rest of the T14

ONLY if you definitely want to stay local:
4) local schools with scholarship

ONLY If you have a guaranteed job lined up, or have some other job and want to add legal services:
5) maybe local school without scholarship
6) T3/T4 schools with scholarship
[+] Spoiler
note: there's a world of difference between unranked University of North Dakota and unranked Touro College, in that UND is the only law school within 300 miles and will fill any jobs available locally whereas Touro is a scarlet letter that will immediately send your resume into the shredder. Even if you want to live and work in NY, you're better off going to UND than to Touro.
Somewhere like North Dakota is a local school. In NYC, Columbia/NYU are T14, Fordham is a regional powerhouse, Brooklyn and Cardozo are what I'd consider local schools, NYLS and Touro are T3/T4 garbage. There are similar tiers in Texas, D.C., L.A., even Seattle and Minneapolis; if you don't know your market, ask

[+] Spoiler
Cost varies significantly from place to place. When I say 'with scholarship', I really mean with a significant price difference. Sticking to the above, the total cost of attendance at UND is literally half the price of University of Minnesota, so even at full sticker it's like having a scholarship. And if you're looking for a job in Fargo or Bismarck, you have just as good a shot

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?