Should I apply this cycle? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LegalSquare

New

Should I apply this cycle?

Post by LegalSquare » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:49 pm

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if you think I have a shot at Harvard or Yale. I am hesitant to waste my application material if I were to be a reapplicant.

Stats:
3.7-3.8
Non first gen student
First gen American
Fulbright and a couple of cool internships
Masters from ivy
26 yo

I was thinking of retaking the lsat in April just to have another score / prepare for the high possibility of being a reapplicant. As of now, I’m sprinkling T14, but wondering if a shot in the dark now to Harvard and Yale is a total waste or not. I am eager to apply simply because I feel so old so it’d be better not to wait, BUT I will do it if need be.

Thanks for any insight and I know my score isn’t that hot (my anxiety made me blank on most of the logic games so I am hoping I can overcome that and get a 170ish my next take. Fingers crossed.

Anon-non-anon

Bronze

Re: Should I apply this cycle?

Post by Anon-non-anon » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:21 pm

You do not have a shot at H/Y. You don't mention whether you are an URM (just first gen american, which is different) but if you are not, I'm not sure you have much of a chance at any T14. Others can speak if URM would give enough of a boost, but also might be pretty rough out there.

If retaking could vastly improve your score (sounds like it could), I would just try to do that.

LegalSquare

New

Post by LegalSquare » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:46 pm

Yes - am Latino urm for any future replies. And thank you for your insight.

Anon-non-anon

Bronze

Post by Anon-non-anon » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:58 pm

No problem, don't mean to be harsh but the big upside is it sounds like you're in a good spot to get a much better score.

Maybe this is built into what you said but if not, you should know that not all latinos get an URM boost. If memory serves from this site, being from Mexico will be a boost, but like Argentina will not. Just FYI.

Either way, I would retake if you have the potential to get a much higher score and even w/ URM boost, H/Y are not on the table currently.

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:33 pm

https://mylsn.info/pxlmxv/

This myLSN report shows a chance, but not a good chance, at a handful of T14 schools. Your odds increase marginally over the next few points. You don't start to be competitive for most schools until 169+, but I recommend applying broadly regardless of how much your score improves because your softs/diversity statement could put you in the good pile at a school looking for candidates like you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LegalSquare

New

Post by LegalSquare » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:19 pm

Thanks,I appreciate it. Do you think it'd be a waste of time to apply? Or should I just delay? I would delay honestly but age...

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:57 pm

To Harvard and Yale, yes, I think it'd be a waste, but if you're intent on going *somewhere* this year and truly don't think you could pick some points up with a retake and apply next cycle, I think you should apply to the whole t15-20 (other than maybe the t3-4) and see what you draw. It's a numbers game, but increasing your sample size does increase your chances of getting in somewhere. Also, if you realllllllly want to go to law school this cycle, acceptance data looks good for schools below ~20.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”