LSDAS GPA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ToriTalavera

Re: LSDAS GPA

Postby ToriTalavera » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:47 pm

I know this isn't 100% in line with this thread, but I've been unable to figure out how LSAC weights C/NC classes. They say they "count" C/NC classes as long as the institution shows the units as "attempted." I took a ballet class at my university every semester for two years, and took it C/NC thinking it wouldn't affect my GPA, but now it looks like it will. The issue I'm having is that my institution lists the semester units/hours as "attempted," but doesn't list a value for the class, even though I received "Credit" (C). Its value is listed as "0.0." I can't imagine I should be calculating my grade as 0 if I passed the class (even if I didn't receive a grade). HELP!

Bohemka

Postby Bohemka » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:41 pm

ToriTalavera wrote:I know this isn't 100% in line with this thread, but I've been unable to figure out how LSAC weights C/NC classes. They say they "count" C/NC classes as long as the institution shows the units as "attempted." I took a ballet class at my university every semester for two years, and took it C/NC thinking it wouldn't affect my GPA, but now it looks like it will. The issue I'm having is that my institution lists the semester units/hours as "attempted," but doesn't list a value for the class, even though I received "Credit" (C). Its value is listed as "0.0." I can't imagine I should be calculating my grade as 0 if I passed the class (even if I didn't receive a grade). HELP!

I think you're fine as long as you passed the course. Try this: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=80326&start=25
Though it's a slightly different situation, I had a non-punitive "W" on my transcript that listed attempted credits as 4 and credited as 0 and it had no effect on either my undergrad or LSDAS gpa.

ToriTalavera

Postby ToriTalavera » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:04 pm

Bohemka wrote:I think you're fine as long as you passed the course. Try this: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=80326&start=25
Though it's a slightly different situation, I had a non-punitive "W" on my transcript that listed attempted credits as 4 and credited as 0 and it had no effect on either my undergrad or LSDAS gpa.

It's interesting. Since I posted that question I actually have been doing some super sleuthing and figured out that it looks like there's some potential for a couple of my semesters to have been entered either wrong or with some eye on some other mysterious rule that has nothing to do with my C/NC classes. During one semester they actually have me attempting more hours than I took. Then during another semester there's a ".1" added on to my attempted hours for some reason. I think at this point I may need to contact LSDAS for clarification on why I can make all of my other semester numbers match up, but not these two.

ToriTalavera

Postby ToriTalavera » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:07 pm

Well I can definitely say that it's well worth a quick call to LSDAS. It took all of 5 minutes to correct a couple mistakes and add academic honors where they'd left them out. Boosted my GPA a couple 10ths of a point.

What I did find out was that they way LSDAS looks at C/NC depends on how that particular university has told them to read "punitive" and/or "non-punitive" Ws, Cs, NCs, etc. Your university must tell LSDAS not to read that W as punitive. Mine, however has them read NCs as Fs. Yep, I said F. So, now I need to take it up with the university, who, during my entire time there continued to communicate that C/NC grades "don't effect your GPA" (including the professor who encouraged me to go that route with this particular class when I had other options at my disposal).

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:08 pm

Are you sure the schools actually care about average grades of your school? I have a feeling they care more about the number they have to report. My school's average GPA is like a 3.2-3.3 (and my degree average is somewhat lower) and I have around that, but compared to a bunch of liberal arts schools, my GPA looks like garbage.

pikalove

Postby pikalove » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:14 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:Are you sure the schools actually care about average grades of your school? I have a feeling they care more about the number they have to report. My school's average GPA is like a 3.2-3.3 (and my degree average is somewhat lower) and I have around that, but compared to a bunch of liberal arts schools, my GPA looks like garbage.

Yeah, I am concerned about that also.

I have a 3.3 and I am in the top 20% of my faculty..... do they take that into consideration? (Please God?)

ToriTalavera

Postby ToriTalavera » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:47 am

They take your course of study, your major and the school you went to into consideration when looking at your GPA. To what extent, I have no idea... but that's what they all say.
I went to one of said liberal arts schools so I have this idea that I need some uber high GPA to prove I actually did more than just show up to class :wink:

quasi-stellar

Postby quasi-stellar » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:01 pm

Deleted
Last edited by quasi-stellar on Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

mc89

Postby mc89 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:55 pm

I'm still trying to figure out if they calculate a NC that I received for a remedial course, when my school doesn't calculate it into my GPA.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:14 pm

20090922 wrote:I really wouldn't worry, in addition to your actual GPA most law schools compare your GPA against the average GPA of students at your college--because a 3.8 when the average GPA is a 3.6 is more impressive than a 4.0 when the average is a 3.9

Sorry guys this is not true, your school's average GPA counts only as a soft, as in if say you have a 3.5 and someone else has a 3.5 then if your school's average was a 3.0 you probably will come out ahead. However if the other person has a 3.7, it doesn't matter what their school average was as these are getting reported to USNWR as straight up numbers.

The only situations where say a 3.8 is considered better than a 3.9 by actual adcoms would be in situations of say HYP type ugrad versus a >100 ranked school.

StophJS

Postby StophJS » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:27 pm

I am in a very similar situation to some of these posters. I struggled through my first year of college and got about a 2.2 because of the stress of recently moving and depression that came along with it. Since then I have completed another year and a half and have averaged about a 3.85 during that time. I know it doesn't make any sense to stress out now about something I have no control over. All I can do at this point is hope that admissions officials agree that my first year was somewhat of an anomaly. I think either way it is ultimately the LSAT score which weighs much more heavily on admissions.

crallen

Postby crallen » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:29 pm

I am not sure if anyone else has run into this... but what if you go to a school that does not do + and -? For example, if I get a 90 here, it goes on my transcript as an A. If I get an 89, it goes on my transcript as a B, not a B+. Does that mean my score will be calculated just strictly by how many As, Bs, etc., I got?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:45 pm

crallen

Postby crallen » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:15 pm

Well in that case my GPA is pretty much the same. Thanks for the answer!

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:39 am

mc89 wrote:I'm still trying to figure out if they calculate a NC that I received for a remedial course, when my school doesn't calculate it into my GPA.

Yes, NC will be counted as an F regardless of what your school does.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:41 am

robin600 wrote:Ok so my school doesn't use an A or B kind of scale, you get a 4.0, 3.5, 3.0 etc. no .75s. Does this mean that my LSDAS gpa will be what my current school's gpa is?

I also have an upward trend in gpa because I had 9 surgeries between freshman and junior year (i'm a 4th year, going for 5 b/c of surgery and major changes) and am considering writing an addendum but I don't want to play the pity card. Any suggestions would help.

If your transcript lists 4.0, 3.5, 3.0, etc next to each class, then yes your LSDAS GPA will exactly match your school's GPA (assuming you don't have grades from other schools).

aleighp

Postby aleighp » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:27 pm

http://www.lawpad.com/gpa_calculator/ is accurate with what LSAC states, at least in my case. It was only 0.117 lower than my transcript's cumulative GPA. Maybe this was already responded to, but does anyone know why the LSAC GPA is lower than the transcript cumulative GPA?

Another question: do you know what "degree (summary) GPA" on the LSAC website means? It's higher than my cumulative GPA on my school's transcript (by 0.103) & the LSAC GPA (by .22).

Jacktone

Postby Jacktone » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:57 pm

aleighp wrote:http://www.lawpad.com/gpa_calculator/ is accurate with what LSAC states, at least in my case. It was only 0.117 lower than my transcript's cumulative GPA. Maybe this was already responded to, but does anyone know why the LSAC GPA is lower than the transcript cumulative GPA?

Another question: do you know what "degree (summary) GPA" on the LSAC website means? It's higher than my cumulative GPA on my school's transcript (by 0.103) & the LSAC GPA (by .22).

I believe that LSAC counts a + or a - as .33 instead of .3; a B- would count as a 2.67 and a B+ as a 3.33 while most schools would calculate a B- as a 2.7 and a B+ as a 3.3. Thus if your transcript has more -'s than +'s your LSAC GPA would probably be slightly lower than the GPA calculated by your school and vice versa if you have more +'s.

"Degree (Summary) GPA" is LSAC's calculation of your GPA for classes that you took at whatever school you received your degree from. "Cumulative GPA" is the calculation of your GPA in all of your undergraduate classes prior to receiving your Bachelor's. If you never took a college level course outside of your degree granting institution then these two numbers should be exactly the same. Note that the latter is what is reported to US News (and thus, some argue, the only number that schools actually care about).

ashockofpink

Postby ashockofpink » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:44 pm

For anyone else still trying to see how the LSDAS GPA thing works and wants to have an easy download to just plug in their numbers and have it pop out an answer (which you can then save and add on to as you get back more grades) I made a spreadsheet where you just enter the number of credits for any particular grade and it shows your LSDAS GPA automatically. Hopefully it'll help someone else because I'm sure I'm not the only one obsessing over GPA's and all that. My current grades are automatically plugged in to try to give you a sense of how to fill it out :)

http://uploading.com/files/8dbb7142/LSD ... heet.xlsx/ is the link.

If you have any questions or comments or are confused or whatever please don't hesitate to ask me

Enjoy :D

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:11 am

MagnumLifeStyle

Postby MagnumLifeStyle » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:35 am

saneac2 wrote: They don't give a damn whether or not your capable or whats "representative" of your potential. From my experience, its a numbers game. They care about what they can report.

After extensive research/inquiry of successful and unsuccessful applicatns, this seems to be the truth.

MagnumLifeStyle

Postby MagnumLifeStyle » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:38 am

ToriTalavera wrote:They take your course of study, your major and the school you went to into consideration when looking at your GPA. To what extent, I have no idea... but that's what they all say.
I went to one of said liberal arts schools so I have this idea that I need some uber high GPA to prove I actually did more than just show up to class :wink:

Do not believe this. Imagine that you're an admissions officer. You have 5,000 applications to review, and whether or not you will still hold your job by the end of the admissions cycle depends on how your school ranks by the end of cycle. Law school rankings depend almost exclusively on GPA/LSAT.

Would you care at all if someone has some dramatic stroy to make up for a bad freshman year? Or would you just admit someone who consistently had a high GPA?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”