LSDAS GPA Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dakatz

Gold

LSDAS GPA

Post by dakatz » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:10 pm

I'm not sure how the LSDAS GPA calculation works. The scale has a range for an A+ weighted to a 4.3. What if the highest grade awarded by your school is an A? Does this mean you are screwed out of getting the extra .3 added into each class that would technically be an A+ at a school that awarded such a mark? By the way, I am using this simulation of the LSDAS calculator, which I"m assuming uses the same numbers and scale.

http://www.lawpad.com/gpa_calculator/

New

Re: LSDAS GPA

Post by 20090922 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:17 pm

I really wouldn't worry, in addition to your actual GPA most law schools compare your GPA against the average GPA of students at your college--because a 3.8 when the average GPA is a 3.6 is more impressive than a 4.0 when the average is a 3.9

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:29 pm

lukertin wrote:I really wouldn't worry, in addition to your actual GPA most law schools compare your GPA against the average GPA of students at your college--because a 3.8 when the average GPA is a 3.6 is more impressive than a 4.0 when the average is a 3.9
Yeah that is true. Only problem is, I had a terrible freshman year due to financial issues, and although I had 3.85, 3.9, and 3.8 in the following three years, my GPA is far below the number that would reflect my actual performance and capability. So I don't want to lose out on precious extra points like that.

saneac2

New

Post by saneac2 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:31 pm

My GPA according to my degree granting institution was 3.82, my GPA according to LSAC was 3.1. Talk about a kick in the mouth. They figured in over 21 hours of failing grades for classes that had been retaken. ONE BAD SEMESTER cost me over 7 points off my GPA. I don't even want to get started with LSAC.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:48 pm

saneac2 wrote:My GPA according to my degree granting institution was 3.82, my GPA according to LSAC was 3.1. Talk about a kick in the mouth. They figured in over 21 hours of failing grades for classes that had been retaken. ONE BAD SEMESTER cost me over 7 points off my GPA. I don't even want to get started with LSAC.
Man, does that suck. I didn't even realize that some schools allowed past grades to disappear when you retake a class and do better. I know my school doesn't do that. I would love to say I have a 3.85 from BU, which is what I would have if it wasn't for freshman year. However, the more and more I research and speak with admissions people, the more I hear the value of an upward trend. This holds especially true if you have an honest and viable explanation, and also show how you grew to overcome the circumstances that brought you down. The more I think about it, the less worried I am that schools will blindly judge me as a 3.45 student, when this in all likelihood won't be the case.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cantwaitforuva

Silver

Post by cantwaitforuva » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:17 am

I had an upward trend, too, and it did not affect my admissions. If you're worried about it I would write and addendum.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:26 am

cantwaitforuva wrote:I had an upward trend, too, and it did not affect my admissions. If you're worried about it I would write and addendum.
Theres a difference though. I spoke to someone who used to work for an admissions staff awhile back. He said that someone who has a 3.2 then kept up a 3.7 over three years is an upward trend. But someone who has a 2.3, then keeps a 3.85 over 3 years, thats not just an upward trend, that clearly shows that the first year was an anomaly and they are more likely to excuse the 2.3 with good explanation than they would the 3.2. It seems almost counter-intuitive but I'm confident that he was telling the truth. Obviously it doesn't always help, as was your case. Thats why I'm going to make sure to strengthen all my other points, and yes, I will certainly include an addendum as you mentioned. Anyone know how long an addendum should be? I'm sure it should be concise but is 2 paragraphs too long? I would like to explain fully and honestly what happened and how I have overcome the the burdens of financial problems and depression that were present freshman year.

saneac2

New

Post by saneac2 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:10 am

I held a 4.0 GPA over the past 2.5 years and still wound up with a 3.1 LSAC GPA. I wrote an addendum, it didn't matter. Places that my GPA placed out of reach I was denied to. They don't give a damn whether or not your capable or whats "representative" of your potential. From my experience, its a numbers game. They care about what they can report.

New

Post by 20090922 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:13 am

You just need to explain it, no need to really go into details, or trying to make more excuses for yourself than necessary.

It also helps if you have any professors writing your recommendations who have known you for all 4 years as they can provide insight into how you've put forth the effort, and how the first year was an anomaly.

Other than that, I wouldn't worry so much. Obviously, it isn't ideal, but what's done is done and you can't go back into the future to explain it. You have a good reason for the poor grades, it was freshman year (which is even more of an acceptable reason), and you have done very well your next 3 years, which is more than enough to overlook one unfortunate year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:59 am

Yeah, just relax. It will all work out.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:20 am

Thanks. I really do work myself up and worry a bit too much. I sort of run on my nerves at times, especially when a situation seems nearly out of my control, like this one is.

Client8

New

Post by Client8 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:19 pm

How accurate is this calculator? Can anyone with their actual LSDAS GPA confirm? I just sent in my transcripts a few wks ago (not yet received, ugh) and am wondering how precise this thing is.

I am also in a similar upward trend boat: First 3 semesters were 2.7, 2.7 and 2.9, respectively. All with bare minimum full-time credit requirements. And the remaining semesters range from 3.7 to 4.0, all more difficult classes and more credits. Would an addendum help me in this situation?

wahoo831

New

Post by wahoo831 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:42 pm

I checked out the calculator. (Yeah, I'm pretty bored right now...)

I pulled up my transcript and added everything up (and double-checked) and plugged it into the calculator. It was .01 off of my actual LSAC GPA. So I would say it's pretty accurate.

Then again, it's a calculation you can do yourself, really. 4.3 for A+, 4.0 for A, 3.7 for A-, 3.3 for B+, etc. That's all the calculator did. (Interestingly, I just calculated it myself and got the same as the calculator. So it seems LSAC gave me an extra .01 bonus.)

The hard thing for people to figure out is when your school gives grades of AB instead of A- and B+, or other oddities. And the calculator doesn't help with that....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wahoo831

New

Post by wahoo831 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:43 pm

Client8 wrote:I am also in a similar upward trend boat: First 3 semesters were 2.7, 2.7 and 2.9, respectively. All with bare minimum full-time credit requirements. And the remaining semesters range from 3.7 to 4.0, all more difficult classes and more credits. Would an addendum help me in this situation?
I think an addendum would definitely help. And it can't hurt, unless you come off sounding whiny. But I would definitely recommend a well-written addendum.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:35 pm

So the one question I still have is, what happens if your school doesn't give out A+'s? My school uses A as the maximum, which is equivalent to 4.0. Many times, I fell in the 97 or 98 range, which would be the equivalent to an A+ anywhere else. Does that mean I'm essentially screwed out of the 4.3 when the LSDAS recalculates my numbers? I actually had to do a one year leave of absence from BU for financial reasons and the school I attended for my sophmore year gave A+'s, which I managed a few of. I guess only those will get plugged into that column.

wardboro

Bronze

Post by wardboro » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:37 pm

Yes, if your school gives out A+'s you're in good shape. If they don't you're out of luck. Don't worry, though, a lot of schools don't give out A+'s, so you're in good company.

rui

New

Post by rui » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:43 pm

///
Last edited by rui on Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Genki

Bronze

Post by Genki » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:51 pm

dakatz wrote:I'm not sure how the LSDAS GPA calculation works. The scale has a range for an A+ weighted to a 4.3. What if the highest grade awarded by your school is an A? Does this mean you are screwed out of getting the extra .3 added into each class that would technically be an A+ at a school that awarded such a mark? By the way, I am using this simulation of the LSDAS calculator, which I"m assuming uses the same numbers and scale.

http://www.lawpad.com/gpa_calculator/
Yep, we pretty much get screwed out of an extra .3 for the classes that we would have received A+'s at. I'm loosing a little over .05 on my final GPA because of bad advice that a councelor gave me at my school. I was taking 2 difficult classes and was struggling to keep my grade in both classes up. My councelor suggested I focus on one and then retake the other the next semester since my university replaces the lower grade when you retake a class. I stopped worrying about one of the classes and focused on the other. I got a A and a D, then I retook the class I received a D in and got an A- the next semester. then a couple semesters later I learn about how LSDAS works and find out that my D will be counted in my final GPA for my law school applications. I was mad at first, but now I figure that there is nothing I can do to change the system and the best thing for me to do is work with what I got. I figure if I score an extra point higher on the LSAT, it will make up for the drop in my GPA.

That's what I would recomend for you, just study hard for the LSAT and if you do well enough on that, it will make up for any small difference that not having A+'s at your school would have made.

wardboro

Bronze

Post by wardboro » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:55 pm

So be happy with your GPA, recognize there isn't anything you can do about it, and focus on that LSAT!
TITCR
Also, your school's reported mean GPA will be lower as a result of no +s, and this will reflect itself on your applications.
While this is correct, I still think that a lot of schools would rather be able to report a higher GPA even if I'm equally well qualified.

It's not so much for the kids between 3.95 and 4.3, I think it's for the kids who are 3.5x who could use an extra tenth boost that a few A+s would give them.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:02 pm

Yeah, like I said earlier, I have around a 3.45 cumulative, which is in no way a representative figure (2.3 freshman year due to financial reasons) so it is a shame that I will lose out on a good .05 or more. Oh well. Like everyone said, balance it out with a great LSAT

ApplicantInWI

New

Post by ApplicantInWI » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:11 am

OK. This is all very confusing. I used the LSDAS calculator and it found my LSDAS GPA to be 3.06. I graduated from my degree granting college with a 3.68. Yes, it is a kick in the teeth to have that drop. Actually, that 3.06 is higher than what I was guessing it would be.

Is this calculator accurate?
How does the real LSDAS calculate this?
I was under the idea that they calculate the GPA by semester total or year total. If they calculate by semester, what to they consider the boundaries of a semester. Two schools I attended year round in accelerated programs. How do they account for that?

Help!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:46 pm

Ok so my school doesn't use an A or B kind of scale, you get a 4.0, 3.5, 3.0 etc. no .75s. Does this mean that my LSDAS gpa will be what my current school's gpa is?

I also have an upward trend in gpa because I had 9 surgeries between freshman and junior year (i'm a 4th year, going for 5 b/c of surgery and major changes) and am considering writing an addendum but I don't want to play the pity card. Any suggestions would help.

law dog 2013

New

Post by law dog 2013 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:12 pm

Odd--does the LSAC GPA=cumulative GPA on the LSAC Academic Summary? If so, mine is the same as my school has reported all along, even though I transferred three times.

What about the Degree (Summary) GPA? Mine is higher than the cumulative. Too bad this probably isn't the LSAC GPA...

Am I correct in assuming the AS cumulative GPA is the LSAC GPA? I'm dying to find this out now...

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:19 pm

law dog 2013

New

Post by law dog 2013 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:39 am

YCrevolution wrote:
law dog 2013 wrote:Odd--does the LSAC GPA=cumulative GPA on the LSAC Academic Summary? If so, mine is the same as my school has reported all along, even though I transferred three times.

What about the Degree (Summary) GPA? Mine is higher than the cumulative. Too bad this probably isn't the LSAC GPA...

Am I correct in assuming the AS cumulative GPA is the LSAC GPA? I'm dying to find this out now...
Yes, LSAC Academic Summary GPA is your cumulative GPA.

Also, for those interested in computing their LSAC GPA, try: Law School Predictor: LSDAS GPA Calculator.

Ahh yeaaah, my relatively weak 3.47 remains no worse. With a super strong upward trend, a phenomenal LOR, an outstanding (I think) PS, and a strong LSAT score (crosses fingers), I'm still in it for some very good schools.

Of course, I live and want to practice in Louisiana, so Tulane's probably tops for me. (Total shot in the dark, I know, but does anyone have a clue if it's possible to go to an out of state law school and come back to Louisiana, pass the bar, and practice efficiently, given the prevalence of civil law in the state? I'm sure this has happened, but how good an idea is this, really?)

Hell yah!

Sorry for the LSAC GPA stricken...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”