Admission Chances

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawguy999

New

Admission Chances

Postby lawguy999 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:01 pm

So, I've been looking through the different calculators for admissions, and I'm slightly confused. If one is at the 50% percentile for GPA and LSAT, does that mean, in practice, that the individual has about a 50% chance? Or, is it more like 80% or something? And, if one has a GPA at the 25th percentile, for example, what is needed to counteract that -- a 75th percentile LSAT? Sorry if dumb question, just trying to understand.

lawguy999

New

Re: Admission Chances

Postby lawguy999 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:18 pm

Add-on Question:

When I am on MyLSN and I click to see the individuals who where accepted/waitlisted/denied, it shows the scholarships, too. How come for people with nearly identical stats, some get 80, 90, or 100k, but others get 0? It is bewildering, and so confusing. Thanks again.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:14 pm

MyLSN is the only "calculator" that you should be looking at. Your question of whether 50th percentile numbers give a 50% chance of admission seems based on LSAC's horribly flawed attempt at an admissions calculator. Don't use that one.

Yes, if you have a GPA at or below the school's 25th, you should be shooting for an LSAT at or over the 75th.

To your scholarship question: Scholarships are a black box. Numbers over both 75ths are usually sufficient to get a great scholarship, but people with lower numbers can get wildly different offers based on other factors.

Wubbles

Bronze

Postby Wubbles » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:26 pm

Also, a number of people never update their scholarship offers since they often come later and might be more identifying, which is why full ride numbers often will have an amount of people with $0 in scholarships (they also might have withdrawn due to offers elsewhere prior to scholarships being awarded). Same thing with waitlists on myLSN, they are good for trends but at least some of those people probably got in or would have prior to withdrawing. Many LSN users just pop in once and update their profiles without updating too much after that.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�