Drunk Tank Incident

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
throwaway3567

New

Drunk Tank Incident

Postby throwaway3567 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:55 pm

Hello,

I know these come often. My freshman year in undergrad I was sent to the drunk tank. In the morning I was so embarrassed I only briefly spoke with them. They told me that it was a nonprofit not associated with any state or county so that there would essentially be no record of me being there. I spoke with a friend recently who told me it was the police who actually drove me there though. Does this mean there is a chance I was actually arrested or detained and I never even knew it? This took place five years ago as well.

Also, this took place on school campus but my disciplinary record simply states that I was responsible for an alcohol violation, which I obviously will disclose. I just can't help panic over what to do about the drunk tank.

Thank you!

EDIT: I also just called and they reiterated the same info as listed above. Had I been arrested I would know... right?

cavalier1138

Re: Drunk Tank Incident

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:41 pm

If it was an on-campus incident, then it sounds like the campus police would have handled it. If you aren't 100% sure what happened, then disclose that you believe you were cited by the campus police. Depending on how this is recorded, I'm not sure that you need to go into great detail about the nature of custody (i.e. "detained overnight").

And don't call it a "drunk tank."

throwaway3567

New

Postby throwaway3567 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:11 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:If it was an on-campus incident, then it sounds like the campus police would have handled it. If you aren't 100% sure what happened, then disclose that you believe you were cited by the campus police. Depending on how this is recorded, I'm not sure that you need to go into great detail about the nature of custody (i.e. "detained overnight").

And don't call it a "drunk tank."

Thank you! I'm pretty confident it was the campus police as I feel like my disciplinary record would've shown if it were police. I'm tempted to not even disclose that I was detained over night as I feel like I would've received a citation or some sort of court date/order had I been arrested. The drunk tank themselves say they dont have any record with the state. I'm not sure where else to look if there was a paper trail. What would you do?

Edit: Ugh. I just called the records department and they said that it does say that I was admitted into the detox center.

Barrred

Bronze

Postby Barrred » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:51 pm

Dont mention the "drunk tank." You were not "detained overnight." That would mean that you were put in jail overnight, which you were not. You also were not arrested---you would know if that were the case. The whole point of these non-profit drunk tanks is to avoid forcing the police to use formal detention/arrest procedures when all that is required is a place where the drunk person can sleep off the alcohol. What happened is that a campus police officer decided to help you out by bringing you somewhere that could help you. You wouldn't disclose that you were "detained" by police if they delivered you to an emergency room in the back of their police car after witnessing you falling down and busting your head. This type of situation is not what's called for by the question "were you ever arrested or detained." Just disclose whats actually on your school disciplinary record: that you were subject to an alcohol violation. Leave it at that, or give a brief explanation, unless the school asks for more details (they see this stuff all the time).

throwaway3567

New

Postby throwaway3567 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:53 pm

Barrred wrote:Dont mention the "drunk tank." You were not "detained overnight." That would mean that you were put in jail overnight, which you were not. You also were not arrested---you would know if that were the case. The whole point of these non-profit drunk tanks is to avoid forcing the police to use formal detention/arrest procedures when all that is required is a place where the drunk person can sleep off the alcohol. What happened is that a campus police officer decided to help you out by bringing you somewhere that could help you. You wouldn't disclose that you were "detained" by police if they delivered you to an emergency room in the back of their police car after witnessing you falling down and busting your head. This type of situation is not what's called for by the question "were you ever arrested or detained." Just disclose whats actually on your school disciplinary record: that you were subject to an alcohol violation. Leave it at that, or give a brief explanation, unless the school asks for more details (they see this stuff all the time).

I just called my county's police department records department and they said that although I have nothing on my criminal record, they say that they can see that I was checked into a detox tank that day. So would I still not have to disclose since it isn't technically a crime? I guess my school's public safety called the police to actually take me there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barrred

Bronze

Postby Barrred » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:17 pm

I think that you are overthinking this. It depends on the prompt. If the prompt says "Were you ever detained or arrested by police?" I wouldn't disclose this incident (because there is no indication that you were either detained or arrested, both of which are legal terms of art). If the prompt says something like "Have you ever had any encounters with police involving alcohol," then I would disclose this incident.

Lawman1865

New

Postby Lawman1865 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:04 pm

Barrred wrote:I think that you are overthinking this. It depends on the prompt. If the prompt says "Were you ever detained or arrested by police?" I wouldn't disclose this incident (because there is no indication that you were either detained or arrested, both of which are legal terms of art). If the prompt says something like "Have you ever had any encounters with police involving alcohol," then I would disclose this incident.

This

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�