Academic LOR Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
enz2103

New

Academic LOR Question

Postby enz2103 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:39 am

Does it matter whether my academic letter of recommendation comes from an undergraduate or postgraduate professor?

Background:

I have a BA from Columbia and an MA from Duke. I will have four years of work experience (three at my current company) when I apply to law school. My supervisor has already agreed to write me a strong letter when the time comes, so that just leaves the academic letter(s).

I contacted two undergraduate professors from about five years ago (Business Chinese and Hispanic Cultures instructors), but I expect those letters to be impersonal. By contrast, I had a linguistics professor at Duke who was easily the best I ever studied under. I took two courses with her (one undergraduate level course and one PhD level course), and we still communicate from time to time to discuss linguistics in education. I cannot think of a better person to ask for a letter of recommendation, but I do not know if letters from postgraduate professors are acceptable.

I considered submitting three letters, but I would rather submit those that I am certain will be personal and sincere.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Re: Academic LOR Question

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:58 am

Grad professors are likely going to be better, especially if they can speak to the quality of your research. In your case, I'd definitely use your linguistics professor.

enz2103

New

Re: Academic LOR Question

Postby enz2103 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:38 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Grad professors are likely going to be better, especially if they can speak to the quality of your research. In your case, I'd definitely use your linguistics professor.

Thank you. I will get my LOR from her then.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�