Addendum Length Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HopefulSplitter0000

Bronze

Addendum Length

Post by HopefulSplitter0000 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:35 am

I failed a course spring semester of junior year due to family issues and did not earn 12 credits--the minimum required by my school.

Consequently, I was placed on academic probation. I returned to good standing the following semester.

I'm writing an addendum to explain my failure and academic probation. I kept it as short as I could, but it's still 170 words. Is that too long?

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: Addendum Length

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:06 am

Yeah that seems crazy long.

"In the spring of [Year], I was unable to fully focus on my coursework because [Succinct Reason, e.g. my grandma in Ohio suddenly died and I needed to spend two weeks out-of-state to help arrange the funeral] and ultimately failed one of my classes as a result. In turn, I was automatically placed on academic probation per [Faber University] policy. I returned to good standing the next quarter and have stayed clear of any academic or disciplinary sanctions since."

^ That's about 80 words. You're probably putting way too much effort into explaining what happened - all the adcomms really care about is that 1) you candidly disclose your record and 2) you didn't get probation for cheating on a test or harassing a classmate or something. Don't dwell on the details (or, if you really want to dwell on the details, do it in your personal statement).

HopefulSplitter0000

Bronze

Re: Addendum Length

Post by HopefulSplitter0000 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:01 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:Yeah that seems crazy long.

"In the spring of [Year], I was unable to fully focus on my coursework because [Succinct Reason, e.g. my grandma in Ohio suddenly died and I needed to spend two weeks out-of-state to help arrange the funeral] and ultimately failed one of my classes as a result. In turn, I was automatically placed on academic probation per [Faber University] policy. I returned to good standing the next quarter and have stayed clear of any academic or disciplinary sanctions since."

^ That's about 80 words. You're probably putting way too much effort into explaining what happened - all the adcomms really care about is that 1) you candidly disclose your record and 2) you didn't get probation for cheating on a test or harassing a classmate or something. Don't dwell on the details (or, if you really want to dwell on the details, do it in your personal statement).
Got it. I'll use something similar to your example and keep it under 100 words.

Thank you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”