Asking for advice Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CleverUsername1

New

Asking for advice

Post by CleverUsername1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:09 pm

Hello TLS! I finally got around to creating an account after lurking for quite a while in hopes that the collective experience on here might be able to give me some advice. I hope this isn't too long winded and that I'm able to ask the right questions, so please bear with me (if you don't want to read everything, please see the TLDR at the bottom).

Here's my background: I graduated late in my twenties from Oklahoma State University (graduated Dec. 2017) with a degree that has opened doors for me, but the career it's led me on isn't as fulfilling as I had hoped it would be. While I was in school, I gave a lot of thought to going to law school after graduation as that's what I had wanted to do growing up. However, I ended up taking an internship with a F500 company and got offered a job after graduation which I accepted. Now I'm starting to think about going to law school again. I'm married as well, for what that's worth.

Stats: 3.93 GPA, haven't taken the LSAT yet (will register for September- unless it's advised that I take it in July) but I have taken 4 timed practice tests ranging between 168 and 174. Non-URM with over 10 years of WE. I turn 30 in November.

My first question is simple- would you advise against me going to law school at 30? While not ancient, I am concerned that graduating at 33/34 years old would put me at a disadvantage.

My next question is a little more complex. Where should I be looking to apply? I'm no genius and certainly don't have a ton of expectations, but I know my stats open doors for me that I am very grateful. I would love to be able to practice in Oklahoma where my wife and I are from, but we also really like idea of working in the Virginia/N. Carolina area as we do have some family there as well. I've been looking at two schools: the University of Oklahoma, which, even though it's not very highly ranked, does seem to have good employment numbers and Washington and Lee University (my cousin recently graduated from there and highly recommends it). Both schools also seem to offer generous scholarship money which is extremely important to me as I am afraid to take on a massive amount of debt- it just doesn't seem fair as that would put a great deal of stress on my wife who has worked very hard to keep us afloat while I put myself through school. I'm pretty sure that I would want to avoid BL (maybe this is naive of me?) as I think I would prefer working at small-mid firms instead so that I can have a home life. If this is being naive, please tell me. Also, if I should be looking into other schools, I'm very open to opinions.

My last question (I think) might be a stupid one, so I apologize if that's the case. Is it stupid to go to law school without knowing what type of law I want to practice? I honestly have no idea. I was advised to go into tax law as apparently Oklahoma has a need, but honestly, that just sounds incredibly boring to me (I hope that doesn't offend anyone!). I was hoping that maybe I would figure it out while I'm there, but if that's the wrong strategy then obviously some more consideration is needed.

If you've made it to this point- thanks for sticking with me! Any advise would be appreciated and don't be afraid to be brutally honest- my wife doesn't hold any punches so I'm pretty used to it! I hope this all makes sense but if any clarification is needed, please ask!

TLDR: Stats- 3.93 GPA and consistently score between 168-174 on PTs. Turn 30 this year. Don't care for BL and want to practice in specific areas. Am I too old to start down this path? Which schools should I be looking at (have been looking at OU and W&L as both are located where I would like to be and offer generous financial aid, but am open to suggestions)? Am I naive for not knowing what kind of law I want to practice before I commit to law school? For those who are/were married in law school, any advice? Thanks!

cavalier1138

Re: Asking for advice

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:18 pm

You don't have to know precisely what area of law you want to practice before going to school, but your post makes it sound like you don't have very strong feelings about actually being a lawyer.

So why do you want to be a lawyer? What do you envision (broadly) doing after you get your JD?

CleverUsername1

New

Re: Asking for advice

Post by CleverUsername1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:29 pm

Thanks for the response. I had always envisioned being a trial attorney as I had done mock trial in high school and really enjoyed that, however I think I could enjoy a number of different things.

As for do I want to go to law school? I absolutely do. It's been something I had wanted since high school. However, I find myself in an odd spot where I want to make sure that if I go, I do it intelligently (if that makes sense). I wouldn't feel comfortable blindly going and putting me, and my wife, in a bunch of debt which is why I'm looking for advice. I hope I answered your question.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”