Thinking of applying to law school. Am I being unrealistic with my background? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LABeach247

New

Thinking of applying to law school. Am I being unrealistic with my background?

Post by LABeach247 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:06 pm

Hey, everyone,

Glad I found this forum! I'm in the early stages of thinking about applying to law school. I'm non-traditional, and I just need a gut check and advice. I graduated undergrad in 2004 with a 3.9 overall, 4.0 in my major. I received an MFA, and I've been working ever since.

I'd just really like to get some real-life experiences in this field first because my interest just stems from what I've read/heard/researched on my own. What's a good way to really grasp what I'm getting into before embarking on this journey? Is it shadowing an attorney? Is it volunteering somewhere to get a feel for how it is? In addition to this, I'm worried about my age ( :oops: ) and how long ago UG was. I'm more than willing to put in the time to study hard for my LSATs, go through the process, and leave my current profession if it's the right path.

Thanks!

cavalier1138

Re: Thinking of applying to law school. Am I being unrealistic with my background?

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:02 am

Meeting with and/or shadowing attorneys is probably the best way to get a feel for the profession.

You are definitely not too old or badly situated. Your GPA is gold, so if you decide to go this route, a good LSAT score will give you your pick of schools. And you'll be at an advantage in most job interviews because of your unique experience. So don't let any fears over your background/age deter you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”