Is south texas college of law houston a good law school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
101lawschool

New

Is south texas college of law houston a good law school?

Post by 101lawschool » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:55 pm

Trying to decide if south texas college of law houston worth attending. Is it a good law school? Is it respected? (not to be confused with southern texas- thurgood marshall school of law)

Wubbles

Bronze

Re: Is south texas college of law houston a good law school?

Post by Wubbles » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:42 pm

Holy cow. They have actually had declining employment numbers since 2012 and the market has only improved since then! Not to mention they fail out over 7% of 1Ls each year... yeah OP, do not go to this scam of a school that is getting worse by the year

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:42 am

The school has produced many fine lawyers over the years, and I have friends and colleagues who are alumni pursuing very successful legal careers. I would never denigrate the students, the teaching quality, or the school's commitment to the legal community in Houston.

However, I would advise a prospective student to approach with extreme caution. Once upon a time, STCL was an inexpensive option that focused on night students. That is no longer the case. It has become an expensive option that primarily serves those who were unable to gain admission to the University of Houston (or better yet) the University of Texas. While the very top students continue to do well, the drop out rate remains high, the bar passage rate is mediocre, and the employment options are poor for the majority of the graduates.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:17 am

nealric wrote:The school has produced many fine lawyers over the years, and I have friends and colleagues who are alumni pursuing very successful legal careers. I would never denigrate the students, the teaching quality, or the school's commitment to the legal community in Houston.
I'd hazard a guess that there isn't a single non-ranked school that doesn't have graduates who have been successful in spite of their school.

That's why Law School Transparency is so valuable - people don't have to make decisions based on aberrations. Just as we regularly advise posters never to assume they will be above median, applicants can know there's likely a one in three chance they won't pass the bar after three years of legal education. Or that they have a forty percent chance of not being employed as a lawyer. Or that they have a one in five chance of not being employed at all.

When a school has enrolled over 1,700 students in the last five years, a handful of success stories are to be expected. But you are correct to point out that, for the majority of students, the outcome looks poor.

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:31 am

albanach wrote:
nealric wrote:The school has produced many fine lawyers over the years, and I have friends and colleagues who are alumni pursuing very successful legal careers. I would never denigrate the students, the teaching quality, or the school's commitment to the legal community in Houston.
I'd hazard a guess that there isn't a single non-ranked school that doesn't have graduates who have been successful in spite of their school.
That's true, but I think STCL actually does have an unusual number of prominent practitioners for a school of its rank. However, I don't think the conditions that caused that to be the case still apply to someone matriculating today.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”