Various questions regarding admissions into T14 schools Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jawill09

New

Various questions regarding admissions into T14 schools

Post by jawill09 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:32 pm

Hello,

I am currently a sophomore with junior credits (68 hrs) at Wayne State College (a small state school in northeastern Nebraska). I am double majoring in Political Science and Business Admin/Economics and minoring in Pre-Law. I am from Lincoln, NE, home of UNL, and after senior year I was enrolled and ready to go to UNL but for various reasons I decided to go to Wayne State College.

Fast forward to present day and I am seriously considering transferring back to UNL to finish my undergraduate education leading up to law school. I believe that UNL's location will be much more beneficial in terms of internship and work opportunities, as well as UNL being a more accredited school than Wayne. I currently have a 3.767 GPA, and I have one withdrawal on my transcript. I had 23 credit hours from AP classes in high school. I have a few questions about what I need to do moving forward applying to a few T14's senior year.

1) Does a W on a transcript have any impact whatsoever on your admissions into a T14?
2) Will T14 law schools have a problem with the fact that I transferred schools after my sophomore year?
3) Because I'm from Lincoln, my family has various connections with some well-known law firms in town. When should I start an internship? Also, what do T14 law schools prefer in terms of paid vs unpaid legal work/internships?
4) Other than maintaining a top GPA, working hard to score a 170+ on the LSAT junior year, and interning where and when I can, is there any other sort of activities/types of clubs that will not only boost my resume but will also help me in law school in the future?

Thanks in advance!

cavalier1138

Re: Various questions regarding admissions into T14 schools

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:37 pm

jawill09 wrote:I am currently a sophomore
I admit that I mostly skimmed after this, because you're starting this process way too early. But to answer your questions:

1. Not if it's a non-punitive withdrawal.
2. No.
3. You should not craft your life to try and check boxes on your resume. If you want to do an internship somewhere, do it. If you want to go hike the Appalachian Trail, do that. Top schools prefer work and activities that you actually cared about doing. The best thing you can do for your resume, law school chances, and life is to take time after law school to actually live as a working adult for a few years.
4. See 3.

Lxwind

New

Post by Lxwind » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:46 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
The best thing you can do for your resume, law school chances, and life is to take time after law school to actually live as a working adult for a few years.
I think you meant after college instead of law school?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:01 pm

Lxwind wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
The best thing you can do for your resume, law school chances, and life is to take time after law school to actually live as a working adult for a few years.
I think you meant after college instead of law school?
Probably that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”