Waitlisted at Cardozo with good numbers

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ss7249

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:14 pm

Waitlisted at Cardozo with good numbers

Postby ss7249 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:55 pm

Hi all -

I'm really confused here. I had a 3.51 GPA, 160 LSAT and graduated from NYU in three years. I was just waitlisted at Cardozo and was offered the option to be considered for May 2019 entry and kept on Fall 2019's waitlist. If I go for this option, does this ruin my chances of getting in for Fall 2019? Should I just take the chance?

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5979
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Waitlisted at Cardozo with good numbers

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:41 pm

You're below median for Cardozo with that LSAT, and your GPA is just barely at median.

Want a better shot (or the chance to go to a better school)? Retake the LSAT. If you do get in off the waitlist with your current numbers, you'll be paying too much.

ss7249

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:14 pm

Re: Waitlisted at Cardozo with good numbers

Postby ss7249 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:53 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:You're below median for Cardozo with that LSAT, and your GPA is just barely at median.

Want a better shot (or the chance to go to a better school)? Retake the LSAT. If you do get in off the waitlist with your current numbers, you'll be paying too much.



Hi there -

Thanks for the input. But I'm looking at the admitted students numbers here http://cardozo.lawschoolnumbers.com/ and it says that that 25th percentile is 156, and the 75th percentile is 161 while the 50th is 159. Could you explain to me what you mean when you say that my LSAT is below median? Isnt it technically between 50% and 75%? Also the GPA says: 25%: 3.15 50%: 3.42 75%: 3.62

If I apply for May entry, do I lose out on a chance to get scholarship? I know someone with my same stats last year pretty much get a full ride.

Npret

Gold
Posts: 1949
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Re: Waitlisted at Cardozo with good numbers

Postby Npret » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:05 pm

Use these numbers
https://www.lstreports.com/schools/cardozo/admissions/

50% is LSAT 161 and GPA 3.52

I don’t think you should do a spring start. You will be out of sync with all other schools.
I don’t think you should spend over $300,000 to go to a school at Cardozo. No school is worth that, but Cardozo certainly isn’t.

Actually check the actual numbers published from the school is the best place to look as it’s divided by semester.
https://cardozo.yu.edu/admissions/jd-ad ... profile-jd

Edit to add: it looks like last year they took a 10% smaller class and raised the LSAT median.
Last edited by Npret on Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
LSATWiz.com

Partner
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:37 pm

Re: Waitlisted at Cardozo with good numbers

Postby LSATWiz.com » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:10 pm

A 5 point increase would be worth $100,000 for you.

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5979
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Waitlisted at Cardozo with good numbers

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:19 pm

ss7249 wrote: I know someone with my same stats last year pretty much get a full ride.


Others have already covered the numbers bit. But was this person a URM? Or when you say "same stats," do you mean that they had a few more points on the LSAT?

ss7249

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:14 pm

Re: Waitlisted at Cardozo with good numbers

Postby ss7249 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:47 pm

Same stats meaning same GPA and a 161 on the LSAT & not a URM. I'm kind of surprised. My softs were pretty good too - worked in 2 record labels as an analyst for business and legal and at a big film/tv company for 2 years in licensing and ip/litigation. I called Cardozo and they said that I could request to be considered for May 2019 and still stay on the waitlist for fall. Thoughts?

User avatar
LSATWiz.com

Partner
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:37 pm

Re: Waitlisted at Cardozo with good numbers

Postby LSATWiz.com » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:11 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
ss7249 wrote: I know someone with my same stats last year pretty much get a full ride.


Others have already covered the numbers bit. But was this person a URM? Or when you say "same stats," do you mean that they had a few more points on the LSAT?

I would add that while we think it's all numbers, I have read some personal statements that were so profoundly badly written (eg: subject matter, personality type described, grammar) that I can't imagine the app being admitted to any respectable institution. It is possible OP's app was shaky or that Cardozo is a little more competitive this year or the reviewer just wasn't that fond of OP's app (there's some subjectivity involved, which is why you should never bank on any one school).

It's also likely Cardozo has more waitlist-accepts than other schools based on its location, and the gap between Cardozo and Fordham, and Fordham and NYU/Columbia. I know there are a lot of Orthodox Jews, for example, who get married young, have kids and are geographically limited to NYC. Many may have high LSAT's, and spend some time debating whether to accept Cardozo's full ride and/or Fordham's lower scholarship and/or sticker at Columbia/NYU. I think it's likely more spots open up at Cardozo in the next 3-4 months than at similarly ranked schools, but I don't have any supporting data to back up this assertion.

ss7249

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:14 pm

Re: Waitlisted at Cardozo with good numbers

Postby ss7249 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:23 pm

UBETutoring wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
ss7249 wrote: I know someone with my same stats last year pretty much get a full ride.


Others have already covered the numbers bit. But was this person a URM? Or when you say "same stats," do you mean that they had a few more points on the LSAT?

I would add that while we think it's all numbers, I have read some personal statements that were so profoundly badly written (eg: subject matter, personality type described, grammar) that I can't imagine the app being admitted to any respectable institution. It is possible OP's app was shaky or that Cardozo is a little more competitive this year or the reviewer just wasn't that fond of OP's app (there's some subjectivity involved, which is why you should never bank on any one school).

It's also likely Cardozo has more waitlist-accepts than other schools based on its location, and the gap between Cardozo and Fordham, and Fordham and NYU/Columbia. I know there are a lot of Orthodox Jews, for example, who get married young, have kids and are geographically limited to NYC. Many may have high LSAT's, and spend some time debating whether to accept Cardozo's full ride and/or Fordham's lower scholarship and/or sticker at Columbia/NYU. I think it's likely more spots open up at Cardozo in the next 3-4 months than at similarly ranked schools, but I don't have any supporting data to back up this assertion.


Hi there -

Thanks for all the input! That's really helpful. I wouldn't say that my personal statement was "profoundly badly written" as I've had it edited by several people, and I think I'd consider myself a decent writer. I also thought that I had pretty strong softs: 5 internships in college at 2 record labels, film companies, and TV companies. As well as 2 years of experience at a big record label as an Analyst in the legal department, and 2 years at a huge film company in licensing and intellectual property and litigation. I called Cardozo and they told me that if I request consideration for the May 2019 entry, it won't hurt my chances of fall entry, and I'd still remain on the Fall waitlist. I also wouldn't be out of sync, because the first year is broken up into three semesters. I'd essentially just be taking a few classes earlier than everyone else. So far, I feel like it's worth it. Thoughts?

User avatar
LSATWiz.com

Partner
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:37 pm

Re: Waitlisted at Cardozo with good numbers

Postby LSATWiz.com » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:08 pm

ss7249 wrote:
UBETutoring wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
ss7249 wrote: I know someone with my same stats last year pretty much get a full ride.


Others have already covered the numbers bit. But was this person a URM? Or when you say "same stats," do you mean that they had a few more points on the LSAT?

I would add that while we think it's all numbers, I have read some personal statements that were so profoundly badly written (eg: subject matter, personality type described, grammar) that I can't imagine the app being admitted to any respectable institution. It is possible OP's app was shaky or that Cardozo is a little more competitive this year or the reviewer just wasn't that fond of OP's app (there's some subjectivity involved, which is why you should never bank on any one school).

It's also likely Cardozo has more waitlist-accepts than other schools based on its location, and the gap between Cardozo and Fordham, and Fordham and NYU/Columbia. I know there are a lot of Orthodox Jews, for example, who get married young, have kids and are geographically limited to NYC. Many may have high LSAT's, and spend some time debating whether to accept Cardozo's full ride and/or Fordham's lower scholarship and/or sticker at Columbia/NYU. I think it's likely more spots open up at Cardozo in the next 3-4 months than at similarly ranked schools, but I don't have any supporting data to back up this assertion.

Hi there -

Thanks for all the input! That's really helpful. I wouldn't say that my personal statement was "profoundly badly written" as I've had it edited by several people, and I think I'd consider myself a decent writer. I also thought that I had pretty strong softs: 5 internships in college at 2 record labels, film companies, and TV companies. As well as 2 years of experience at a big record label as an Analyst in the legal department, and 2 years at a huge film company in licensing and intellectual property and litigation. I called Cardozo and they told me that if I request consideration for the May 2019 entry, it won't hurt my chances of fall entry, and I'd still remain on the Fall waitlist. I also wouldn't be out of sync, because the first year is broken up into three semesters. I'd essentially just be taking a few classes earlier than everyone else. So far, I feel like it's worth it. Thoughts?

Yeah, I think you may be at a slight disadvantage being curved against 1L's who already have a semester of exams under their belt. Like most people, my GPA stayed pretty consistent between the 1st and 2nd semester with the caveat that I had fewer median grades as I got better at writing "just above median" exams when I didn't understand the course, but like most I know, my exams were much better written than in the fall semester. You'd be at an advantage if the class is composed mostly of 3L's, but at a disadvantage, if they're all 1L's.

ss7249

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:14 pm

Re: Waitlisted at Cardozo with good numbers

Postby ss7249 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:18 pm

UBETutoring wrote:
ss7249 wrote:
UBETutoring wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
ss7249 wrote: I know someone with my same stats last year pretty much get a full ride.


Others have already covered the numbers bit. But was this person a URM? Or when you say "same stats," do you mean that they had a few more points on the LSAT?

I would add that while we think it's all numbers, I have read some personal statements that were so profoundly badly written (eg: subject matter, personality type described, grammar) that I can't imagine the app being admitted to any respectable institution. It is possible OP's app was shaky or that Cardozo is a little more competitive this year or the reviewer just wasn't that fond of OP's app (there's some subjectivity involved, which is why you should never bank on any one school).

It's also likely Cardozo has more waitlist-accepts than other schools based on its location, and the gap between Cardozo and Fordham, and Fordham and NYU/Columbia. I know there are a lot of Orthodox Jews, for example, who get married young, have kids and are geographically limited to NYC. Many may have high LSAT's, and spend some time debating whether to accept Cardozo's full ride and/or Fordham's lower scholarship and/or sticker at Columbia/NYU. I think it's likely more spots open up at Cardozo in the next 3-4 months than at similarly ranked schools, but I don't have any supporting data to back up this assertion.

Hi there -

Thanks for all the input! That's really helpful. I wouldn't say that my personal statement was "profoundly badly written" as I've had it edited by several people, and I think I'd consider myself a decent writer. I also thought that I had pretty strong softs: 5 internships in college at 2 record labels, film companies, and TV companies. As well as 2 years of experience at a big record label as an Analyst in the legal department, and 2 years at a huge film company in licensing and intellectual property and litigation. I called Cardozo and they told me that if I request consideration for the May 2019 entry, it won't hurt my chances of fall entry, and I'd still remain on the Fall waitlist. I also wouldn't be out of sync, because the first year is broken up into three semesters. I'd essentially just be taking a few classes earlier than everyone else. So far, I feel like it's worth it. Thoughts?

Yeah, I think you may be at a slight disadvantage being curved against 1L's who already have a semester of exams under their belt. Like most people, my GPA stayed pretty consistent between the 1st and 2nd semester with the caveat that I had fewer median grades as I got better at writing "just above median" exams when I didn't understand the course, but like most I know, my exams were much better written than in the fall semester. You'd be at an advantage if the class is composed mostly of 3L's, but at a disadvantage, if they're all 1L's.




Wait sorry, i'm confused. Why would I be curved against 1Ls who already have a semester under their belt? I would be starting before them?

Sorry. Thanks for all the clarification!

Npret

Gold
Posts: 1949
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Re: Waitlisted at Cardozo with good numbers

Postby Npret » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:24 pm

What i meant by out of sync is that you will be out of sync for everything outside of Cardozo - transferring, OCI, summer jobs, etc.
Law school admissions is almost entirely numbers driven and your sorts are ok but not incredible enough to overcome your numbers. (Your numbers aren’t “good” and you should retake the LSAT. You can improve your life a great deal with a few more points.)

I wouldn’t do it.

You shouldn’t pay $300,000 either.

What job do you want after you graduate?

Npret

Gold
Posts: 1949
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Re: Waitlisted at Cardozo with good numbers

Postby Npret » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:20 am

Maybe I don’t understand the May start. When will you do OCI? Will you be going through the summers every year? When will you have grades if you do well and want to transfer?

Npret

Gold
Posts: 1949
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Re: Waitlisted at Cardozo with good numbers

Postby Npret » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:04 pm

Oh I see the May start is part time so I guess they don’t report those numbers? I don’t understand the May start at all or why anyone would pay over $300k for it.

User avatar
LSATWiz.com

Partner
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:37 pm

Re: Waitlisted at Cardozo with good numbers

Postby LSATWiz.com » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:40 pm

Npret wrote:Oh I see the May start is part time so I guess they don’t report those numbers? I don’t understand the May start at all or why anyone would pay over $300k for it.

Oh, I just looked it up. Scratch what I said about taking a class with 1L's. My thought was you'd start in the spring while everyone else has a semester under their belt. The reason this would be bad is that students get better at law school exams with experience and that everyone tries their hardest 1L year so spring semester 1L's are, in my opinion, the worst people to take classes with.

This program spaces your classes out while charging you the same tuition as if you took a full course load. I get why Cardozo would do it. It's a good business idea because (1) some students are desperate to avoid waiting an entire year (eg: students who can't/don't want to get job and need loan money to survive), and (2) it increases profits. The positive is the Cardozo curve, which I know from friends is kind of a joke (no offense intended) will be even easier in the summer as agreeing to pay an extra $50,000 for mediocre prospects requires one to prioritize immediate gratification over long term consequences. Psychologically, such individuals are somewhat less likely to gun too hard.

ss7249

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:14 pm

Re: Waitlisted at Cardozo with good numbers

Postby ss7249 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:55 pm

Npret wrote:Oh I see the May start is part time so I guess they don’t report those numbers? I don’t understand the May start at all or why anyone would pay over $300k for it.


Yeah so the first year is divided into 3 sems: Summer Entry, Fall, and Spring

Then you just transition into 2nd and 3rd year as fall/spring, fall/spring.

I called the office and they said that it doesn't interfere with OCI, transferring, etc. you can always transfer after the fall sem. I think they just break the fall sem into two sems. They also told me that it's good for people who have been out of school for a few years because it helps you transition back into school. I think it might be worth it to ask for consideration for May entry.

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5979
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Waitlisted at Cardozo with good numbers

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:38 pm

ss7249 wrote:I called the office and they said that it doesn't interfere with OCI, transferring, etc.


Oh, well if the admissions office says it doesn't interfere...

Ask actual students. Or try and get your hands on the numbers. Adcomms are paid to lie to your face about things like this.

Also, someone asked you earlier but didn't get a response: what do you want to do with your degree?

Npret

Gold
Posts: 1949
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Re: Waitlisted at Cardozo with good numbers

Postby Npret » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:01 pm

ss7249 wrote:
Npret wrote:Oh I see the May start is part time so I guess they don’t report those numbers? I don’t understand the May start at all or why anyone would pay over $300k for it.


Yeah so the first year is divided into 3 sems: Summer Entry, Fall, and Spring

Then you just transition into 2nd and 3rd year as fall/spring, fall/spring.

I called the office and they said that it doesn't interfere with OCI, transferring, etc. you can always transfer after the fall sem. I think they just break the fall sem into two sems. They also told me that it's good for people who have been out of school for a few years because it helps you transition back into school. I think it might be worth it to ask for consideration for May entry.

See no schools that I can think of are accepting transfers after the fall semester - outside of maybe a unique pressing family situation. You are out of their normal transfer cycle.
The same thing with OCI -will you be even with the other first years having started in a part time program?

Going part time while you work full time is one thing- starting in May 2019 part time, going through the year at 10 credits - would you then have a summer 1L job in 2020?
Then would you go through OCI (summer 2020) with the full time people who start in the fall (September 2019)after you?

You will still have to explain the part time thing to interviewers even if they consider you in the same OCI group. Interviewers at firms do not normally consider o part time students as equal to full time. I’mjust not familiar enough to think this is a good plan when you are paying full price.

You need to talk to students and not just successful ones that will give you a standard line.

You still didn’t say what job you want unless I missed it.

User avatar
LSATWiz.com

Partner
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:37 pm

Re: Waitlisted at Cardozo with good numbers

Postby LSATWiz.com » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:37 pm

Npret wrote:
ss7249 wrote:
Npret wrote:Oh I see the May start is part time so I guess they don’t report those numbers? I don’t understand the May start at all or why anyone would pay over $300k for it.


Yeah so the first year is divided into 3 sems: Summer Entry, Fall, and Spring

Then you just transition into 2nd and 3rd year as fall/spring, fall/spring.

I called the office and they said that it doesn't interfere with OCI, transferring, etc. you can always transfer after the fall sem. I think they just break the fall sem into two sems. They also told me that it's good for people who have been out of school for a few years because it helps you transition back into school. I think it might be worth it to ask for consideration for May entry.

See no schools that I can think of are accepting transfers after the fall semester - outside of maybe a unique pressing family situation. You are out of their normal transfer cycle.
The same thing with OCI -will you be even with the other first years having started in a part time program?

Going part time while you work full time is one thing- starting in May 2019 part time, going through the year at 10 credits - would you then have a summer 1L job in 2020?
Then would you go through OCI (summer 2020) with the full time people who start in the fall (September 2019)after you?

You will still have to explain the part time thing to interviewers even if they consider you in the same OCI group. Interviewers at firms do not normally consider o part time students as equal to full time. I’mjust not familiar enough to think this is a good plan when you are paying full price.

You need to talk to students and not just successful ones that will give you a standard line.

You still didn’t say what job you want unless I missed it.

Evidentiary standards, whether they be data or anecdotal, cannot sufficiently measure wanting it more and being special.

Npret

Gold
Posts: 1949
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Re: Waitlisted at Cardozo with good numbers

Postby Npret » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:46 pm

UBETutoring wrote:
Npret wrote:
ss7249 wrote:
Npret wrote:Oh I see the May start is part time so I guess they don’t report those numbers? I don’t understand the May start at all or why anyone would pay over $300k for it.


Yeah so the first year is divided into 3 sems: Summer Entry, Fall, and Spring

Then you just transition into 2nd and 3rd year as fall/spring, fall/spring.

I called the office and they said that it doesn't interfere with OCI, transferring, etc. you can always transfer after the fall sem. I think they just break the fall sem into two sems. They also told me that it's good for people who have been out of school for a few years because it helps you transition back into school. I think it might be worth it to ask for consideration for May entry.

See no schools that I can think of are accepting transfers after the fall semester - outside of maybe a unique pressing family situation. You are out of their normal transfer cycle.
The same thing with OCI -will you be even with the other first years having started in a part time program?

Going part time while you work full time is one thing- starting in May 2019 part time, going through the year at 10 credits - would you then have a summer 1L job in 2020?
Then would you go through OCI (summer 2020) with the full time people who start in the fall (September 2019)after you?

You will still have to explain the part time thing to interviewers even if they consider you in the same OCI group. Interviewers at firms do not normally consider o part time students as equal to full time. I’mjust not familiar enough to think this is a good plan when you are paying full price.

You need to talk to students and not just successful ones that will give you a standard line.

You still didn’t say what job you want unless I missed it.

Evidentiary standards, whether they be data or anecdotal, cannot sufficiently measure wanting it more and being special.

I don’t know what you are trying to say. I’m just repeating myself saying this is a very bad idea. At some point, an 0L is going to spend $300k on a degree if they want to do so. For the record when I did biglaw interviewing and hiring the question of “wanting it more” never arose. Not once. It was school, grades, personality fit, etc. The person without the grades or school never made it in the door at least not as a summer or a first year. No matter how much they wanted the job or the money.
I know OP doesn’t say what they want to do, but it’s a lot of money to spend or borrow.

User avatar
LSATWiz.com

Partner
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:37 pm

Re: Waitlisted at Cardozo with good numbers

Postby LSATWiz.com » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:03 pm

Npret wrote:
UBETutoring wrote:
Npret wrote:
ss7249 wrote:
Npret wrote:Oh I see the May start is part time so I guess they don’t report those numbers? I don’t understand the May start at all or why anyone would pay over $300k for it.


Yeah so the first year is divided into 3 sems: Summer Entry, Fall, and Spring

Then you just transition into 2nd and 3rd year as fall/spring, fall/spring.

I called the office and they said that it doesn't interfere with OCI, transferring, etc. you can always transfer after the fall sem. I think they just break the fall sem into two sems. They also told me that it's good for people who have been out of school for a few years because it helps you transition back into school. I think it might be worth it to ask for consideration for May entry.

See no schools that I can think of are accepting transfers after the fall semester - outside of maybe a unique pressing family situation. You are out of their normal transfer cycle.
The same thing with OCI -will you be even with the other first years having started in a part time program?

Going part time while you work full time is one thing- starting in May 2019 part time, going through the year at 10 credits - would you then have a summer 1L job in 2020?
Then would you go through OCI (summer 2020) with the full time people who start in the fall (September 2019)after you?

You will still have to explain the part time thing to interviewers even if they consider you in the same OCI group. Interviewers at firms do not normally consider o part time students as equal to full time. I’mjust not familiar enough to think this is a good plan when you are paying full price.

You need to talk to students and not just successful ones that will give you a standard line.

You still didn’t say what job you want unless I missed it.

Evidentiary standards, whether they be data or anecdotal, cannot sufficiently measure wanting it more and being special.

I don’t know what you are trying to say. I’m just repeating myself saying this is a very bad idea. At some point, an 0L is going to spend $300k on a degree if they want to do so. For the record when I did biglaw interviewing and hiring the question of “wanting it more” never arose. Not once. It was school, grades, personality fit, etc. The person without the grades or school never made it in the door at least not as a summer or a first year. No matter how much they wanted the job or the money.
I know OP doesn’t say what they want to do, but it’s a lot of money to spend or borrow.

I imagine they intend to earn enough money to make paying it a non-issue. If OP segues that Cardozo degree into a multi-million dollar starting salary, then OP will rake in millions and if OP rakes in millions, it would be imprudent to stress out too much over $300k. As we all know, two if's make a yes so there's no reason to worry. Instructing OP to retake the LSAT can save them $300k in tuition funds, but it can cost them millions by forcing them to start their multimillion dollar job a year later.

Npret

Gold
Posts: 1949
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Re: Waitlisted at Cardozo with good numbers

Postby Npret » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:07 pm

:lol:

ss7249

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:14 pm

Re: Waitlisted at Cardozo with good numbers

Postby ss7249 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:38 am

Npret wrote::lol:


Thank you two for such great advice! I appreciate the back and forth. Regarding what I want to do with my law degree..I work in IP/Litigation at a big entertainment firm, and law is kind of the next step for my career. I can't move up in my position any more, and I'm looking to supplement my current career with a law degree. Thoughts?

AJordan

Bronze
Posts: 469
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:48 am

Re: Waitlisted at Cardozo with good numbers

Postby AJordan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:02 pm

ss7249 wrote:
Npret wrote::lol:


Thank you two for such great advice! I appreciate the back and forth. Regarding what I want to do with my law degree..I work in IP/Litigation at a big entertainment firm, and law is kind of the next step for my career. I can't move up in my position any more, and I'm looking to supplement my current career with a law degree. Thoughts?


Have them pay for your law degree?

User avatar
LSATWiz.com

Partner
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:37 pm

Re: Waitlisted at Cardozo with good numbers

Postby LSATWiz.com » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:41 pm

They're not going to pay for LS. Firms rarely paid for law school even in the '90's when costs were much cheaper. This was much more common with MBA's back in the day.

OP, I have tutored the LSAT to a significant number of paralegals - I'd venture to say 25% of my students are paralegals/legal assistants, and they want to go to law school because they're (1) tired of their job and (2) want to take the next step in life. The reality is that while being a lawyer is less monotonous than being a paralegal in that it requires more thinking and has more varied challenges if you dislike being a paralegal, it's very likely you won't love legal practice. Most people don't. They tolerate it in part because it sucks less than other jobs and because of money.

Although being a lawyer would seem to come with more esteem and salary, let's picture a reality in which you leave your current job, attend a middling law school and are unable to not only secure gainful employment as an attorney but are also overqualified to be a paralegal. In this situation, there is a very good chance you will have less income than you do now, be 3 years older and owe $300,000. At Cardozo, this reality is a real possibility. I'm not saying that will happen to you. For your sake, I hope it doesn't. But statistically speaking, it's more likely than securing a large firm job that pays $200,000 a year. You also have to realize that $200,000 is not really as much as you think it is in your 20's. Taxes will cut off about 40-45% of that, and you're left with $110,000, which on a 10-year loan repayment plan of $300k tuition + COL (figure $400k at graduation with interest) will probably leave you with about $70,000 post-tax or about $6,000 a month. You can live well with this amount of money, but it's not the high life.

And this is if you get the least likely outcome that will require nothing to go wrong. You're going to need to blow 1L year out of the park, do well on every exam, hope you don't get sick during exam time or have a personal issue arise that jeopardizes your focus, need to meet with OCI interviewers you connect with who don't hold being in a 3.5 year program against you, need to stomach 5+ years of big law and have them stomach you to repay your loans. None of these are 100% results. Some are 10%, and you need all of them to break in your favor just to come out of this with a net positive outcome. And let's pretend you overcome the odds to get that larger salary - the loans are something you still have to pay back so every other friday when you get that $4,230 deposited in your bank account, about $1,800 is going to pay those student loans. That's about 3 months of car payments down the drain every other Friday, the great vacation you'll need working 80-hour weeks down the drain each month, an engagement ring every 2 months (if your love interest won't say yes unless the ring is worth more than $7,200, they're not the one), a year of your child's state college tuition every 5 months, etc. all because the LSAT is annoying.

There is always a grass is greener perspective, but you have a job right now that annoys you for many of the same reasons legal practice will annoy you. You probably earn a decent wage and LS isn't going anywhere. You can take it upon yourself to not only make the chances of hitting your dreams more likely but to also make those dreams play out better even if they do come true by staying on for one more year and getting a better LSAT score. I've seen others with your goal and perspective in pretty much your exact position - an okay LSAT score and about 5 points away from a much better position. 5 years later, all of them would probably give a kidney to go back in time and stomach their job for another year, but it's possible you can be the exception. Some people just don't want to succeed enough or dream hard enough.



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests