LSAC's Withdrawal Policy Contradiction? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jc177

New

LSAC's Withdrawal Policy Contradiction?

Post by jc177 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:23 pm

Hi all,

Is LSAC contradicting itself on its withdrawal policy? [source: https://www.lsac.org/applying-law-schoo ... conversion]

One of the items isted below 'Grades Excluded from Conversion' is: "Withdrawal grades that signify failure (such as WF=Withdraw/Fail, WU=Withdrew Unsatisfactory, WNP=Withdrew Not Passing) if the issuing school considers the grade nonpunitive. The total number of credits assigned to these grades will appear on the applicant’s academic summary, but will not be included in the GPA calculation."

However, below 'Failing Grades', we see: "Any grade notation that signifies failure (such as No Credit, No Credit/Fail, Not Passing, Incomplete, Incomplete/Fail, Withdraw/Fail, Unsatisfactory, Fail, etc.) is converted to zero on the 4.0 scale and is included in the calculation of the GPA, even if the issuing school considers the grade to be nonpunitive."

This has to be a flat-out contradiction, no?

Thank you so much for your input!

cavalier1138

Re: LSAC's Withdrawal Policy Contradiction?

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:37 pm

The only overlapping designation is the "Withdraw/Fail," and it's likely because some schools report that one weirdly. Or one of the policies is newer and they forgot to remove the "Withdraw/Fail" entry from the older category.

I'm not sure how this is helpful. It's not like you can go to LSAC and say, "Hah! You contradicted yourself in the FAQ about grade conversion, so now you owe me a 4.0!" Just don't put yourself in a position to have failing grades or punitive withdrawal situations. It's not that hard.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:38 pm

jc177 wrote:Hi all,

Is LSAC contradicting itself on its withdrawal policy? [source: https://www.lsac.org/applying-law-schoo ... conversion]

One of the items isted below 'Grades Excluded from Conversion' is: "Withdrawal grades that signify failure (such as WF=Withdraw/Fail, WU=Withdrew Unsatisfactory, WNP=Withdrew Not Passing) if the issuing school considers the grade nonpunitive. The total number of credits assigned to these grades will appear on the applicant’s academic summary, but will not be included in the GPA calculation."

However, below 'Failing Grades', we see: "Any grade notation that signifies failure (such as No Credit, No Credit/Fail, Not Passing, Incomplete, Incomplete/Fail, Withdraw/Fail, Unsatisfactory, Fail, etc.) is converted to zero on the 4.0 scale and is included in the calculation of the GPA, even if the issuing school considers the grade to be nonpunitive."

If a grade is excluded from consideration under the first section, then it is not considered and therefore the "Failing Grades" section does not apply. If a grade is not excluded, it will be considered in line with the "failing grades" policy.

So, no, it is not contradictory.

jc177

New

Post by jc177 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:45 pm

albanach wrote:

If a grade is excluded from consideration under the first section, then it is not considered and therefore the "Failing Grades" section does not apply. If a grade is not excluded, it will be considered in line with the "failing grades" policy.

But my worry is that the two sections seem to offer contradictory criteria for whether a grade is included. Maybe I'm missing your point?

EDIT: The two sections offer contradictory criteria in the sense that a grade should be considered under one of the sections just if it is excluded from consideration under the other. However, the criteria seem to allow a grade to be considered under both.
Last edited by jc177 on Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jc177

New

Post by jc177 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:47 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:The only overlapping designation is the "Withdraw/Fail," and it's likely because some schools report that one weirdly. Or one of the policies is newer and they forgot to remove the "Withdraw/Fail" entry from the older category.

I'm not sure how this is helpful. It's not like you can go to LSAC and say, "Hah! You contradicted yourself in the FAQ about grade conversion, so now you owe me a 4.0!" Just don't put yourself in a position to have failing grades or punitive withdrawal situations. It's not that hard.
Sorry, I think my anxiety is getting the best of me.

I have a W (NOT WF) on my transcript, and I'm pretty sure the school I attended doesn't consider it punitive - as the W is not factored into my GPA. However, I'm not too sure whether it counts as "credits attempted", and this matters for determining (as per the link) whether it counts as a failing grade.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jc177

New

Post by jc177 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:06 pm

Sorry all! On a second reading, I think my situation should be fine!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:48 am

albanach wrote:

To be clear for future readers of this thread, LSAC specifically states, in the "Failing Grades" section:
LSAC wrote:The only exception to this policy is for No Credit, Withdraw/Fail, repeated courses, and incomplete grades specifically explained in Grades Excluded from Conversion.
So in case of any instances of apparent inconsistency, the "Grades Excluded from Conversion" section controls. The "Failing Grades" section only applies to grades that don't fall under the "Grades Excluded from Conversion" section.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”