Six-figure income or bust? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BarelyConcealedRage

New

Re: Six-figure income or bust?

Post by BarelyConcealedRage » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:10 pm

nixy wrote:
BarelyConcealedRage wrote:It is important to note here that the skills I am learning in "sales" are quite a bit less useful than law then people here seem to think. At my job, I am encouraged to be misleading, to play fast and loose with legal regulations and to go directly against them sometimes even.

All for a paltry sum of 35k. This country is a nightmare where it is impossible to live a decent life unless you are 1) Albert einstein, 2) extremely lucky or 3) born wealthy.

I don't think vacation time or buying a home will make me happy. What I do know is being in an overpriced, squalid home that damaged my health taught me the value of a decent house. Vacations won't make me happy - but spending every hour at a job I will almost certaibly hate will absolutely make me unhappy.

And my 20 year old beater comment was not about purchasing a brand new car for my parents - that is completely unthinkable and outside the possibility of normal human achievement. That is a relation to the fact that she has to live in that 20 year old beater.

Tell me, without money, how do you do anythng in life but lice in your squalid apartment and watch TV all day? How do go and eat out? How do you retire? How do you travel? How do you do anything in life that makes it worth living? How are you any fundamentally different from the countless peasent ancestors whose lives are determined by their rich local Lord? There is nothing that differentiates you other than you are now less likely to die. Even the 40 hour work week is bypassed if you dont make enough money.

I feel 99% if the people who tell me otherwise had substantial assistance from their parents and do not know what i am talking about because such horror stories are alien to them.
Sure, money is important, the US overvalues income and material goods, and not having enough money is terrible. No one is debating those things. They’re debating your focus on an arbitrary number. It’s more than possible to live comfortably and do the things you describe for less than $100k. There are lots of cheap restaurants. There are inexpensive vacations. You may not eat out every day/week or vacation every month, but you can do those things. Also starting at $35k out of college does not mean you’ll die making $35k. You need to think a little longer term.

Also I’m sorry about your parents’ situation. But you’re also talking in absolutes as if their situation means it’s true that no one can live happily on less than $100k. If your personal situation is such that you have unusual financial burdens, that’s not an indictment on the rest of US society. (That’s also not me assuming everyone else has parental support, just that not all people are trying to support two full grown adults right out of school. And really you shouldn’t have to.)

All of my coworkers who are older than me don't make much. For everyone except the owner of the business himself, they cap out at ~55k at an absolute maximum.

It doesn't matter what I "shouldn't" have to do. Without my help the United States will condemn my parents to death. My mother will die/commit suicide likely before her 70's, while my dad will ne forced to work until he keels over due to a heart attack.

Maybe people not in this situation should recognize they are born filthy rich, and stop giving advice as though it is at all reproducable for most of society. The forum obviously skews to the children wealthy (which includes people maling ~100k a year) as much as they might like to whine about how "hard" they have it.

I myself will probably have to give up the idea retirement at the age of 22. Never met someone who could do it you either didn't make lots of money or who didn't have their parents pay for everything early on. And these same people will judge me/shame me for not having good products and say its all because I just didn't work hard enough even I load on up on caffeine/adderall to work every eaking hour just to stay afloat. Even people now say I should "work on my mental health" making the assumption that:

1) I can afford mental healthcare in the first place (I have troed the free stuff - multiple month wait times and sub par service isn't going to do much)

2) I have someone I can rely on to help me while I work on it (Lol!)

Meanwhile my peers act like I am a weirdo because I never got to travel outside the country, or have a decent car, or wear name brand clothes etc etc but I still have to give these people the time of day since they will be my co workers/ employers should I ever make money.

I wish forums like this could give advice without the extremely ridiculous implicit assumptiont that you have acces to generational wealth. I always found it wierd that people here never took undergrad debt into consideration until i realized most people who post here probably had their parents pay for it.

I would honestly, seriously, and unironically sell parts of my body off for the inhertances and family support most posters in here seem to get. My parents clearly shouldn't have had children and now I have to pay the price for thst despicable mistake. I likely should never have children because of it.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:04 pm

Dude. I’m not saying you stay in your job for the rest of your life; I’m saying that eventually you get out of this job and move up, even if you don’t see immediate options right now.

Also, it is entirely insane to say that you have to give up on retirement at age 22, and that the only people who retire made lots of money or had parents who paid for everything. That’s just completely wrong. Between 22 and, say, 65 is a really fucking long time. That’s 43 years. You don’t have any idea where you’ll be in 5 years, let alone 43.

Look, I get that you are in crappy personal circumstances. But if you don’t do something about changing your mindset you are never going to get out of the cage you’re in.

And fuck peers who expect you to travel outside the US, have a decent car, or where name brand clothes. That is a small group of small-minded people, or else it’s something you’re projecting onto them, because reasonable people don’t care about that stuff.

I think you should try the mental health stuff again before you dismiss it as subpar and unable to help you. If you decide it can’t, well, of course it won’t.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:26 pm

nixy wrote:And fuck peers who expect you to travel outside the US, have a decent car, or where name brand clothes. That is a small group of small-minded people, or else it’s something you’re projecting onto them, because reasonable people don’t care about that stuff.
Agree with the above. I have friends who come from wealth who travel internationally on a whim, and wear apparel/accessories worth thousands of dollars. I don't come from wealth and I don't do that, and I've never been shamed or made to feel bad about it. Anyone who'd judge someone for not having a Prada handbag or not spending the weekend in the UAE isn't worth having as a friend.
BarelyConcealedRage wrote:I would honestly, seriously, and unironically sell parts of my body off for the inhertances and family support most posters in here seem to get.
I think it's very much off the mark to say that most TLSers come from money. If we did, we wouldn't be so laser-focused on debt minimization. We wouldn't be stressing out over repaying student loans. We'd never have had loans to begin with.

I really don't know why you seem to have the impression that "everyone" has a fat trust fund and jets around the world (first-class, of course, when a private jet isn't available) eating caviar off of china made in the Qing dynasty. If your "friends" do that kind of thing and shame you for not being able to keep up, you need new friends.

BarelyConcealedRage

New

Post by BarelyConcealedRage » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:11 pm

I don't think that people are jetting off to China whenever they want, people of that kind of money would never deign to even speak to me outside of master/servant dynamic in a bbusiness enviornment.

I know plenty of people that can't afford whimsical vacations like that - but many of them do have parents that paid for their college. Many of them know that, should all else fail, they can move back in. Many of them have parents who may not have liquid cash, but had the extreme fortune to have bought a home in the 70's and increase their net worth by hundreds of thousands. Many of parents that they don't have to worry about, or have parents that help with their down payment (I know of literally no one who has bought an actual home and not a condo that did not have parental help) or other such expenses. I don't have any of thess things, nor will i ever, because as some might like to argue against fervantly, this makes them extremely filthy rich, just unbelievably so.

This is not common in America, but it is so common among higher earning profressions and higher education that is almost the norm. And people, such as myself, who has the misfortune of being born non-URM, do not get any assitance, handouts, charity or sympathy. I must spend every waking hour thinking: "How does this make money? What productive purpose does this serve? How could I more effeciently spend my time?"

If anything I am seen as a cretin. By and large, I'm pretty sure Big Law partners look down upon people of my background - not due to a sense of snobbery, but because they don't think I will be a cultural "fit" if I don't share such a background. Most partners and associates I have spoken with have quitly confirned this and I know more than this sub might like to think.

I want to be able to live a life where i am not consteained to a 40 mile square radius my whole life and can have a family. I want to be able to walk into without freezing over everything due to fear around money. I want to be able to purchase a god damn coffee without hating myself for an unnecessary expense when cheaper alternatives exist (adderall). I want to be able to have a family life where I can just sit down at a table and have dinner without the paint on the wall peeling off or the basement developing mold because we don't have the money to fix it.

None of this is possible without absolute oodles of cash. I'm talking hundreds of thousands. And for the average human being, without an in, its impossible to achieve thst without going one of an extremely set of careers: computer science, engineering, medicine, finance (at top schools), Big Law, and winning the lottery. Every single one of those had the door slammed in my face except Big Law.

I come across as extreme on anonymous internet boards because I am not like that in real life. Thats why I vent out my real thoughts and fears, because this would be a little much to handle in personal conversation but is easier when I am someone you don't know possibly thousands of miles away.

Johnnybgoode92

Silver

Post by Johnnybgoode92 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:19 pm

BarelyConcealedRage wrote: , who has the misfortune of being born non-URM, do not get any assitance, handouts, charity or sympathy.
:? Well then......

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:20 pm

BarelyConcealedRage wrote:I want to be able to live a life where i am not consteained to a 40 mile square radius my whole life and can have a family. I want to be able to walk into without freezing over everything due to fear around money. I want to be able to purchase a god damn coffee without hating myself for an unnecessary expense when cheaper alternatives exist (adderall). I want to be able to have a family life where I can just sit down at a table and have dinner without the paint on the wall peeling off or the basement developing mold because we don't have the money to fix it.

None of this is possible without absolute oodles of cash. I'm talking hundreds of thousands. And for the average human being, without an in, its impossible to achieve thst without going one of an extremely set of careers: computer science, engineering, medicine, finance (at top schools), Big Law, and winning the lottery. Every single one of those had the door slammed in my face except Big Law.
The first paragraph is absolutely fair. The second paragraph, particularly the bolded, is just not true. You do need money, but not “oodles of cash,” and those fields are not the only fields in which it’s possible. The more you insist on that, the more you’ll be unable to see how anything else.

BarelyConcealedRage

New

Post by BarelyConcealedRage » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:29 pm

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
BarelyConcealedRage wrote: , who has the misfortune of being born non-URM, do not get any assitance, handouts, charity or sympathy.
You read my entire post and see everything I go to, and deep within my writing, this is the only part you think dignifies a response?

Kind if proves my point doesn't it?

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:34 pm

BarelyConcealedRage wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
You read my entire post and see everything I go to, and deep within my writing, this is the only part you think dignifies a response?

Why do you assume you’re the only one in this position? I don’t get it. Most people are like one pay check away from losing their house. Not all of them have somewhere to go.

You need to stop feeling sorry for yourself. I really don’t understand where you are coming from other than jealousy, self hatred and self pity.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:40 pm

There are so many red flags here. I'm just going to quote a few of them:
BarelyConcealedRage wrote: people of that kind of money would never deign to even speak to me outside of master/servant dynamic in a bbusiness enviornment.
BarelyConcealedRage wrote:I don't have any of thess things, nor will i ever, because as some might like to argue against fervantly, this makes them extremely filthy rich, just unbelievably so.
BarelyConcealedRage wrote:And people, such as myself, who has the misfortune of being born non-URM, do not get any assitance, handouts, charity or sympathy.
BarelyConcealedRage wrote:If anything I am seen as a cretin. By and large, I'm pretty sure Big Law partners look down upon people of my background
BarelyConcealedRage wrote:I want to be able to purchase a god damn coffee without hating myself for an unnecessary expense when cheaper alternatives exist (adderall).
BarelyConcealedRage wrote:Thats why I vent out my real thoughts and fears, because this would be a little much to handle in personal conversation but is easier when I am someone you don't know possibly thousands of miles away.
Taken together, it sounds like you're working on a hell of a persecution complex. It also sounds like you're abusing adderall, and you're using online discussion as some sort of coping mechanism instead of going to a licensed social worker and trusting that they're more effective than you think during the first few sessions.

It's impossible for you to deal with these things online, because you're living in a fantasy world, and anyone who tries to point out how unrealistic your worldview is gets lumped into the category of "another rich kid." This clearly isn't working for you, so why not try something that does work? Get help. Real help.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Johnnybgoode92

Silver

Post by Johnnybgoode92 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:44 pm

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:

You had sympathy until you threatened to brake the law through organ sells and then started white victim narratives.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:57 pm

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:

Not if you’re talking to a URM who probably doesn’t agree with you that being born non-URM is a misfortune. All it proves is that, again, you’re not very connected to reality.

BarelyConcealedRage

New

Post by BarelyConcealedRage » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:15 pm

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:

You had sympathy until you threatened to brake the law through organ sells and then started white victim narratives.
No I didn't man. Just be real here. I don't expect your sympathy. The organ comment was obvious hyperbole and it was the URM comment thst set you off.

Have you met a single succesful person of my background before? I don't claim to have it especially hard; I am also a single paycheck from homelessness. One of my parents already is. My fathet himself would have default on the mortgage if he missed a single paycheck (and likely bankruptcy all together since he has other debt).

But it is very much true that other people in my situation. I am not a victim of sexual abuse, I am not as of this moment actually on the street (though I have been before) and I was lucky enough to be born in the United States and not Somalia. But are any of the people you are saying also suffer from this what would describe as succesful or happy? I knew plenty of people in my community who had it worse; I am literally the only one to graduate college, many of them have fallen to drig abuse/drug dealing, and really not on track to have any od the things people here claim to have. I don't think anyone means bad, nor do I think they are all millionaires, but I do know most of the advice that is given always, always has assumptions given into it. People tend to give advice for themseleves and generalize it to apply to others rather than actually approach a persons situation differently.

I have not slandered anyone here; I don't think anyone means ill and honestly wish the best for me. But from both personal experience and what I have seen here, people of my backgroubd generally aren't included in the conversation nor are they intended to.

BarelyConcealedRage

New

Post by BarelyConcealedRage » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:19 pm

nixy wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:

Not if you’re talking to a URM who probably doesn’t agree with you that being born non-URM is a misfortune. All it proves is that, again, you’re not very connected to reality.
Well I would largely agree with them. The best way to put it is, I would choose being a rich URM over myself any day of the week, 10x over. And it is a statement of fact that non-URMs of my backgroubd aren't cut any slack on the educational or professional world. I don't get angry at URM bonuses, I knews lots of URM folk near me in similar circumstances and I would have loved that they get some extra help.

I have noticed though URM boosts at top schools and big firms tend not come from thst area, though, because a lot of them (long with the non-URM) didn't even graduate high school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Johnnybgoode92

Silver

Post by Johnnybgoode92 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:28 pm

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:

No I didn't man. Just be real here. I don't expect your sympathy. The organ comment was obvious hyperbole and it was the URM comment thst set you off.

Have you met a single succesful person of my background before? I don't claim to have it especially hard; I am also a single paycheck from homelessness. One of my parents already is. My fathet himself would have default on the mortgage if he missed a single paycheck (and likely bankruptcy all together since he has other debt).

But it is very much true that other people in my situation. I am not a victim of sexual abuse, I am not as of this moment actually on the street (though I have been before) and I was lucky enough to be born in the United States and not Somalia. But are any of the people you are saying also suffer from this what would describe as succesful or happy? I knew plenty of people in my community who had it worse; I am literally the only one to graduate college, many of them have fallen to drig abuse/drug dealing, and really not on track to have any od the things people here claim to have. I don't think anyone means bad, nor do I think they are all millionaires, but I do know most of the advice that is given always, always has assumptions given into it. People tend to give advice for themseleves and generalize it to apply to others rather than actually approach a persons situation differently.

I have not slandered anyone here; I don't think anyone means ill and honestly wish the best for me. But from both personal experience and what I have seen here, people of my backgroubd generally aren't included in the conversation nor are they intended to.
1. You threatened to eat a bullet. How can we tell whats hyprbole at this point? These are frightening things to read and go way beyond exaggeration.

2. I have met successful ppl of many backgrounds. Not all my profs had a silver spoon or even a plastic one at birth.

3. Msot americans work really hard to make 40-60k a year and most feel blessed w what they have. It's like you expect the government (e.g. The taxpayers) to front your aspired lifestyle.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:38 pm

I mean, I think you’re right that there are huge class issues (frequently unexamined) in professional America. I’ll admit I don’t come from the same background as you. And know some people from similar backgrounds as you who have succeeded professionally and they feel similarly excluded/not expected actually to be in their fields. Those are important issues that more people should be thinking about.

But that’s also not remotely the same as saying that life is worthless unless you make $100k a year and the only way to make $100k a year is through a very small set of professions (and the only one of those open to you is law so law is your only chance to do anything).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”