delaying graduation to raise gpa. am i out? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nicole1994

New

Re: delaying graduation to raise gpa. am i out?

Post by nicole1994 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:28 am

albanach wrote:
nicole1994 wrote:About to study for my last final exam , but :

1) I haven't received degree yet. I only need 1 or 2 more clases to graduate and was gonna hold off take those..like I havent signed up for those classes that I need yet so I'm not considered graduated yet

2) clarification :by 75th percentile , I meant 75th percentile for the lsat for the schools I want to get into(texas, georgetown ,) . However , later I wanted to clarify as while I hope for this, that me wanting to stay wasnt dependent on obtaining this score..as id be comfortable applying to those schools who have median gpas of 3.72-3.75 if I can raise lsac gpa to 3.7 range . I can raise my uni gpa to 3.6 (3.65 if I say one year longer) and my comm college gpa is 3.9 .
Thanks for the clarification re the LSAT score.

I still think that you cannot possibly get your GPA into the realm that it will be a significant boost. Neither is it terribly problematic as it currently stands. You should, therefore focus your time, energy and money on mastering the LSAT not extending your college career. Staying in school can't help significantly and might cause adcomms to be concerned.

With a 3.6-3.65 GPA, you're already looking at decent scholarships in the T-14

Getting up to a 3.7-3.75 does increase your chances a bit at Chicago/Columbia/NYU but comes at a significant cost.

And you're still going to need to find the time to master the LSAT. A 75th percentile score (typically 170 or above) doesn't come easily to many people. If you already had that under your belt, or were at least testing in that range, it might be different. I still think you should expend the time, energy and money on the LSAT as, with your current or potential GPA, it's the LSAT that will determine what school you attend.
Albanach...so my uni gpa will be 3.6-3.65 if I stay longer. This means my lsac gpa will prob be 3.7 . If I graduate next semester as planned I'll have 3.5 uni gpa, so lsac gpa will be around 3.6.

So you don't think lsac gpa of 3.71 would give significantly better chances than lsac gpa of 3.6 at ut austin ? Their median is 3.74.

Also you talked about how it would up my chances @Chicago ..but don't u think that the lsn chart shows more solid chances for all schools across the board for 3.7 compared to 3.6?

nicole1994

New

Post by nicole1994 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:33 am

Albanach ,

I guess what it boils down to is that ... 3.71 is so much closer to ut austin median of 3.74 (literally almost there ) and georgetown median of 3.78 compared to 3.6.

Do you think that matters ^

After looking at the image charts it appears that the 3.7 increases chances at cornell gtown Mich etc

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:44 am

nicole1994 wrote:Albanach ,

I guess what it boils down to is that ... 3.71 is so much closer to ut austin median of 3.74 (literally almost there ) and georgetown median of 3.78 compared to 3.6.

Do you think that matters ^

After looking at the image charts it appears that the 3.7 increases chances at cornell gtown Mich etc
Does it matter? Yes. But not as much as getting a great LSAT score.

What I'm trying to say is that you can't get a GPA high enough that it would compensate for a poor LSAT. Therefore I would focus on the last part of things, just because the cost of an extra year's turion, plus the opportunity cost of spending another year at college don't seem to me as being worthwhile.

If you had a 2.9 if absolutely say stay on because getting past 3.0 is so important. But in your case I think it's time to focus on the lsat.

nicole1994

New

Post by nicole1994 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:50 am

thanks for the advice.

I realized my LSAC gpa is currently 3.5. so in order to get it to 3.63 I will have to stay for next yr and stay next semester. My only options are stay in school longer+study for LSAT vs work +study for LSAT. I much find the former enjoyable rather than working, so I think I'll go ahead and do that as I'll have to study for LSAT either way, and given that doing so would allow me to better reflect my academic abilities.

nicole1994

New

Post by nicole1994 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:52 am

my other choice is to work if I don't stay in school and I would rather not do that as I can do that after I graduate ..3.63 would help over 3.5. will have to study for LSAT anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:58 am

The thing is, working gives you money and valuable experience and skills, and taking classes costs money and has diminishing returns.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:27 pm

nicole1994 wrote:my other choice is to work if I don't stay in school and I would rather not do that as I can do that after I graduate ..3.63 would help over 3.5. will have to study for LSAT anyway.
Why would you rather be in school than work? Are you so attached to school and college over working?

We’ve told you repeatedly this is a bad plan and you must focus on the lsat. You seem to refuse to comprehend that even with a perfect GPA, which you won’t have, a low LSAT score will hurt your chances. Your assuming a top score although you’ve given us no absolutely evidence that you can do well.

It’s almost like you are finding excuses to stay in college.

Good luck to you but I’ve helped you as much as I can.

nicole1994

New

Post by nicole1994 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:45 pm

I don't assume that a perfect gpa will anything..i made my comments by comparing the only alternative i have, which is to work. while the GPA thing won't bump me to 3.8, i don't feel as if the work experience will be that much more beneficial than going from 3.55 to 3.63 o 3.65 for two reasons:

a) i could get the same work experience from an internship. it'll be the same skills. while work exp will allow me that opportunity for a longer period of time, im going to have to work for 9 months before applying so that'll be sufficient anyway

b) while yes I haven't taken LSAT yet, if I do get let's say top score(169 or 170 plus_..a 3.63 complemented with a good score would be good for texas emory gtwon or mich based on LSN data. But even if I don't get that, then it will be about 3.55+ X LSAT+work or 3.63 +the same lsat. at worst, these stats will prob be valued the same so then it seems like its just a matter of preference at that point

nicole1994

New

Post by nicole1994 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:01 pm

I understand. As I said, what influenced my decision to stay was the benefits each option would provide me at this point. I feel that based off LSN data, a 3.63 can make a difference compared to 3.55.

even if not, the only alternative would be to complement the 3.55 with work exp, which I believe would provide equal at most, if not lower benefits than staying regardless of what LSAT score is (for instance, 3.63+160 vs 3.55 +work exp+same score)

as a result, can't really go wrong with either...going to get work exp during this summer and 6-9 months after graduation if i were to stay.

thanks for your advice as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:05 pm

Take a practice LSAT

nicole1994

New

Post by nicole1994 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:51 pm

I already took a diagnostic..I all ready know I have a lot of work to do:( relying on my work ethic and giving myself like 10 months to prep .

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”