Do adcomms compare you to classmates (GPA, LSAT)? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
marshmallowpop

New

Do adcomms compare you to classmates (GPA, LSAT)?

Post by marshmallowpop » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:07 pm

Hi all,

I was just looking through my CAS report and found out that from my school, roughly 30% of students applying to law school score at or above the 95th percentile on the LSAT, and about 30% have a GPA above a 3.8 (5% of that chunk of students actually have GPAs of 4.0+).
I'm not sure what breakdowns at other schools typically look like, but these numbers feel super high to me (especially being that my school is known for grade deflation lol) and are making me nervous. To what extent, if any, are applicants compared to other students from the same school? I'm comfortably in this GPA range with a 3.92 (I have yet to take the LSAT), but I'm suddenly thinking that my GPA will seem much less impressive since a good portion of students from my school are scoring around the same.

cavalier1138

Re: Do adcomms compare you to classmates (GPA, LSAT)?

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:10 pm

Doesn't happen except at the absolute fringes. You'd have to be practically identical in all other aspects of your application to have an adcomm resort to that.

Also, your situation isn't that rare. Students at top universities tend to score well on exams, so higher LSAT scores are common at top universities. And the type of student that applies to law school is also likely to be an academic achiever, so the grades really aren't that weird. A 3.92 is great; get a solid LSAT, and you're looking at admission and scholarships across the T13.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”