Regular Decision to Early Decision Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
swimbikerun15

New

Regular Decision to Early Decision

Post by swimbikerun15 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:58 am

I know if you apply early decision and before a decision is rendered, if you want to cancel, you can 'downgrade' to regular decision and remove the binding requirement. Is it possible to apply to a school regular decision and before a decision is rendered, 'upgrade' to an early decision applicant?

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Regular Decision to Early Decision

Post by UVA2B » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:23 pm

Yes, just notify the school where you’d like to switch to ED about it, and they will probably send you something you must sign and return acknowledging the binding contract you’re entering in with the school.

swimbikerun15

New

Post by swimbikerun15 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:54 pm

UVA2B wrote:Yes, just notify the school where you’d like to switch to ED about it, and they will probably send you something you must sign and return acknowledging the binding contract you’re entering in with the school.
Awesome, thanks so much!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:33 pm

While I'm pretty sure the school will have no problem "upgrading" you, don't do it. Just don't.

swimbikerun15

New

Post by swimbikerun15 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:39 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:While I'm pretty sure the school will have no problem "upgrading" you, don't do it. Just don't.
Why do you say that?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:47 pm

swimbikerun15 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:While I'm pretty sure the school will have no problem "upgrading" you, don't do it. Just don't.
Why do you say that?
ED=paying full price outside of a few schools that attach specific scholarships to their ED program (e.g. Northwestern, GWU, BU)

It's rare giving up negotiating leverage is a defensible choice if you're not loaded with cash to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for law school. There are times it makes sense, but those are the exception that proves the rule.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:52 pm

UVA2B wrote:
swimbikerun15 wrote:
Why do you say that?
ED=paying full price outside of a few schools that attach specific scholarships to their ED program (e.g. Northwestern, GWU, BU)

It's rare giving up negotiating leverage is a defensible choice if you're not loaded with cash to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for law school. There are times it makes sense, but those are the exception that proves the rule.
In addition, with a few exceptions, ED also doesn't improve an applicant's odds of admission. PowerScore did a good study a few years back: https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/applyi ... -not-to-ed

So in many cases, EDing is all pain and no gain.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”