Applications Complete - Having second thoughts Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lj6711297

New

Applications Complete - Having second thoughts

Post by lj6711297 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:11 pm

Okay, so here is the situation.

LSAT prep last summer and took it in September. Last 4/5 practice tests scored in the low to mid 170s, but did pretty bad the day of for a few reasons with a final score of 165. Was signed up for the next test in October, but decided not to take it since my current semester is pretty busy and I didn't think I would have any time to prepare. Went with my score and finished all apps end of September.

With this score the T14 seems unreasonable so I was going to settle for maybe T20. Having second thoughts now since the T14 is pretty important for big law placement. I don't know what to do, any feed back is appreciated.

Would it be possible to take the January LSAT and send that to my schools even though I have already completed them and might get back decisions by then? (started to get some decisions) Would this be enough time to prepare for the retake?

cavalier1138

Re: Applications Complete - Having second thoughts

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:54 am

If you sign up for another LSAT, I believe LSAC notifies the schools. That would essentially put a hold on your application at schools where you're a borderline candidate (or auto-reject) with your current numbers. So It's not a bad idea, and yes, T13 is important if biglaw is your goal.

JDAdvisingLLC

New

Post by JDAdvisingLLC » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:01 pm

If you're confident you can get back on track to score in the mid-170s, sign up to take the LSAT in January. You have nothing to lose except the delay in having your application reviewed. As it stands now, you may even get some favorable decisions back from T20 schools without your new score. Every school treats future test scores differently. Some will still review your application as-is with your current score and give you reconsideration (if not already admitted) when a new score is received. If schools are satisfied with the 165 and your other app components, then might directly offer you admission. The worst that can happen is that schools may decide to place you on hold for future test scores. Again, if you're confident you can boost your score about 10 points then that delay, in my opinion, is still worthwhile.

Keep in mind that there's usually a question on applications asking if you are taking any future tests. Though you might have indicated the October test, schools will see that obviously did not happen. Schools might not know you're taking the Jan LSAT so if you'd like your application held for review until scores are released, it wouldn't hurt to reach out to them with that emailed request.

Lastly, if you dedicate time between now and the Jan test, given your past testing history, it probably won't take long to get back into the swing of things again. It's not clear if you only took 5 practice tests or if you simply scored in the 170s on the last 4/5. Either way, try to take as many practice tests under timed conditions as you can. I suggest many more than 5 tests. Also be sure they are recent exams since older tests can be less challenging and thus easier to score higher on.

Good luck!

lj6711297

New

Post by lj6711297 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:45 pm

JDAdvisingLLC wrote:If you're confident you can get back on track to score in the mid-170s, sign up to take the LSAT in January. You have nothing to lose except the delay in having your application reviewed. As it stands now, you may even get some favorable decisions back from T20 schools without your new score. Every school treats future test scores differently. Some will still review your application as-is with your current score and give you reconsideration (if not already admitted) when a new score is received. If schools are satisfied with the 165 and your other app components, then might directly offer you admission. The worst that can happen is that schools may decide to place you on hold for future test scores. Again, if you're confident you can boost your score about 10 points then that delay, in my opinion, is still worthwhile.

Keep in mind that there's usually a question on applications asking if you are taking any future tests. Though you might have indicated the October test, schools will see that obviously did not happen. Schools might not know you're taking the Jan LSAT so if you'd like your application held for review until scores are released, it wouldn't hurt to reach out to them with that emailed request.

Lastly, if you dedicate time between now and the Jan test, given your past testing history, it probably won't take long to get back into the swing of things again. It's not clear if you only took 5 practice tests or if you simply scored in the 170s on the last 4/5. Either way, try to take as many practice tests under timed conditions as you can. I suggest many more than 5 tests. Also be sure they are recent exams since older tests can be less challenging and thus easier to score higher on.

Good luck!
Thanks! I really appreciate your feedback. Might have been a little vague, but I scored in the 170s just on my last 4/5. I took 14/15 total practice LSATs. The only school I heard back from so far is Minnesota with a 2/3 tuition scholarship, felt good about it but there is a huge jump between Minnesota and the T13.

Side note about my LSAT. I was really thrown off on the time between sections, I was expecting maybe around a minute to collect my thoughts and resist my watch on the hour to easily see how much time is left, but I ended up only having about 10/15 seconds. This threw me off, kinda made me frantic, and I even forgot to set my watch/write down a start time for one of the sections. Figured this out about 15 min and had no idea on the timing of that section, tweaked pretty hard....

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:50 pm

You should definitely retake. Take practice tests under accurate timed conditions as you experienced them. You seem like a person who can improve their score and you’re hurting your admission chances by not retaking.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”