HLS interview tips? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jennie

New

HLS interview tips?

Post by jennie » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:41 pm

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could give some interview tips for Harvard, Columbia, Chicago, and any other T13 schools that have interviews. Or is there an old post I can refer to? I did a search but didn't seem to find much. I've read the info on the law schools' websites, but still not quite sure what to expect. Is there a question list?

Thanks!

Npret

Gold

Re: HLS interview tips?

Post by Npret » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:49 pm

jennie wrote:Hi,

I wonder if anyone could give some interview tips for Harvard, Columbia, Chicago, and any other T13 schools that have interviews. Or is there an old post I can refer to? I did a search but didn't seem to find much. I've read the info on the law schools' websites, but still not quite sure what to expect. Is there a question list?

Thanks!
Harvard just posted (on November 26th) tips on how to interview. I found this with a 2second google search because I know they have blogged about the Interview process in the past. I do think, however, you should’ve been able to find this on your own. At the very least you should be following the blogs, etc from the schools in which you have interest.
https://hls.harvard.edu/acing-your-interview/

The other tip I have is to go back through the old school “class of” threads for Harvard, etc. for applicants and people will talk about their interviews in those threads. You could skim through those threads easily yourself. I’m sure people listed questions at some point over the years. I just don’t remember when.

jennie

New

Post by jennie » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:16 am

Hi Npret,

Thanks for your time answering my question. Yes, I've read these but I've seen people discussing getting "vague questions" and their uncertainty about the interview, so I was hoping to learn more about it. Thanks!
Npret wrote:

Thanks!
Harvard just posted (on November 26th) tips on how to interview. I found this with a 2second google search because I know they have blogged about the Interview process in the past. I do think, however, you should’ve been able to find this on your own. At the very least you should be following the blogs, etc from the schools in which you have interest.

The other tip I have is to go back through the old school “class of” threads for Harvard, etc. for applicants and people will talk about their interviews in those threads. You could skim through those threads easily yourself. I’m sure people listed questions at some point over the years. I just don’t remember when.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:43 pm

jennie wrote:Hi Npret,

Thanks for your time answering my question. Yes, I've read these but I've seen people discussing getting "vague questions" and their uncertainty about the interview, so I was hoping to learn more about it. Thanks!
Would you happen to have any examples of these "vague questions"? FWIW, at my Harvard interview back in the day, I don't recall getting any vague or off-the-wall questions (though it's certainly possible they've changed their interviewing style since my 0L year). I experienced a fairly predictable interview focused on two main areas: Talking about myself/my background/my interest in law, and explaining Why Harvard.

I wouldn't worry too much about people's "uncertainty about the interview"; you can usually tell when you've spectacularly bombed an interview, but assuming you don't bomb, it's almost always hard to predict with certainty whether you've aced the thing or merely turned in a mediocre performance.

Overall, while you should certainly prep for the interviews and take them seriously, I believe admissions decisions are still mostly numbers-driven, as reflected by MyLSN's numbers. So I wouldn't stress out too much. It's not like, say, the management consulting job app process where the interviews are both super tough and determinative of whether you'll get an offer.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:55 pm

jennie wrote:Hi Npret,

Npret wrote:

Thanks!

Im not sure what more you need than that post. Maybe read it again. The article makes it clear there are going to be open ended questions and tells you exactly how to prepare.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”