What does TTT mean?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dangerzone10
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:19 pm

What does TTT mean?

Postby dangerzone10 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:15 am

On many of these law school admissions forums, I see people say bad things about "TTT" schools. What on earth does TTT stand for, and what does it mean?

User avatar
EricC/O'11
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:10 am

Re: What does TTT mean?

Postby EricC/O'11 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:18 am

dangerzone10 wrote:On many of these law school admissions forums, I see people say bad things about "TTT" schools. What on earth does TTT stand for, and what does it mean?


It comes from deep in the bowels of the snobs here on TLS; it stands for 'Third Tier Toilet".

User avatar
Corsair
Posts: 3997
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 1981 12:25 am

Re: What does TTT mean?

Postby Corsair » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:20 am

..

dangerzone10
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:19 pm

Re: What does TTT mean?

Postby dangerzone10 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:21 am

That's pathetic. Its quite sad how people think its not worth going to law school if you don't get accepted to a top-20 or tier 1 school.
EricC/O'11 wrote:
dangerzone10 wrote:On many of these law school admissions forums, I see people say bad things about "TTT" schools. What on earth does TTT stand for, and what does it mean?


It comes from deep in the bowels of the snobs here on TLS; it stands for 'Third Tier Toilet".


...SNOBS, INDEED!
Last edited by dangerzone10 on Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Da Stain
Posts: 520
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:50 am

Re: What does TTT mean?

Postby Da Stain » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:22 am

Here's why, Zone:

But seriously, the rankings part is true and most on here will emphatically tell you that it is buyer beware when choosing to go to those schools. In many cases, if you think you can wait a year to get into a better school it may be advisable to do so. Primary reasons for going to a TTT are free money, it is a school ranked well for its region (U. Montana would be an example if you wanted to stay in Billings because rankings won't matter much there.) Generally, if you're only reason for going paying full fare (basically going 150-200k into debt) is because that's the best school you got into, it would be worth it to think long and hard as to whether that investment is worth it before committing. Job prospects will be significantly lower and you may end up making less than you might have simply following 3 years of a career path with your BA.

The above advice, however, is highly suspect and I'm, sure many would disagree.

fiftyonefifty
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:49 am

Re: What does TTT mean?

Postby fiftyonefifty » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:28 am

^ Well said Mr. Matthews.

high4ever2008
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:10 am

Re: What does TTT mean?

Postby high4ever2008 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:34 am

"TTT" officially stands for "Third Tier Toilet," which is the Third Tier in the US News Rankings. "TTT" is also applied to the Fourth Tier or any non-ABA schools. In general, these schools are said to have lower prestige and worse career prospects.

Some elitists like to use "TTT" for any school ranked below theirs. For example, an immature Yale Law grad may call UC Berkeley a "TTT" or a Georgetown Law grad may call USC a "TTT." Some elitists view anything outside of HYS a "TTT," while others view anything outside of the T14 a "TTT." The list goes on. With all this said, we can all agree that a mature individual would not refer to a fellow lawyer's school as a "TTT."

Since we are talking about "TTTs," it wouldn't hurt to talk about another popular term: "Top Tier." "Top Tier" is usually referred to as Tier 1 law schools in the US News. Many law schools (on their websites) refer to themselves as "Top Tier" if they are in Tier 1 (ranked 1-50 in the US News).

Some elitists also like to refer to the "Top Tier" as Top 10, Top 14, Top etc. It really depends on who you talk to. Most people like to include their own school in the "Top Tier." For example, a ND Law grad may refer to the "Top Tier" as T25 or a Columbia Law grad may view it as the Top 10, while Georgetown Law grad Top 14.

User avatar
hls3
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:44 pm

Re: What does TTT mean?

Postby hls3 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:20 pm

...
Last edited by hls3 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: What does TTT mean?

Postby MTal » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:31 pm

No one ever called Harvard a TTT. Where TTT starts and T1 begins is a matter of debate, but the fact is that the TTT label exists, and it exists for a reason.

User avatar
rmyoun06
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:08 pm

Re: What does TTT mean?

Postby rmyoun06 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:37 pm

Your mom is TTT.


















oooooOOOOOOH!

User avatar
Curious George
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:39 pm

Re: What does TTT mean?

Postby Curious George » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:41 pm

A side question: Did "TTT" originate with the phrase "Third Tier Toilet", or did it originally mean something else, like, "Third Tier _____", with people just swapping out the last word in favor of the more derogatory "Toilet"?

The reason I ask is because I swear I recall reading things from "respectable" people in the law field in which they referred to those schools as TTT. I figured surely they wouldn't resorts to referring to those schools as "Toilets", and that rather than toilet it must have had a different word originally.

Any idea?

hls3 wrote:
dangerzone10 wrote:On many of these law school admissions forums, I see people say bad things about "TTT" schools. What on earth does TTT stand for, and what does it mean?


As explained above, it stands for Third Tier Toilet. It means that whoever is using the term is a. immature, b. probably a total douche and c. has not yet grasped the concept that law school is largely irrelevant to the practice of law. In all likelihood they also do not realize that this is how people think of them.

In law school (or so I am told) there's always someone who everyone knows as "the asshole." And if you can't figure out who the asshole is, that means it is you. My guess is that the people who like to throw around TTT are going to be the assholes of their respective law school classes. Just a guess.


Isn't that from One L?

User avatar
iwasgoingtobeasenator
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:14 pm

Re: What does TTT mean?

Postby iwasgoingtobeasenator » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:46 pm

My guess is that TTT began meaning "The Third Tier."
Also helps that there are three "T's" which seems rather indicative of the tier system. I mean, if "Third Tier" was TT, people might be confused and think 2nd tier? Just conjecture.

User avatar
aguyingeorgia
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:09 am

Re: What does TTT mean?

Postby aguyingeorgia » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:48 pm

No wonder I keep getting weird looks when I ask for tasty tater tots.

User avatar
BlueDevilSarah
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:15 pm

Re: What does TTT mean?

Postby BlueDevilSarah » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:51 pm

Where's TTT-LS when you need him? :wink:

User avatar
EricC/O'11
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:10 am

Re: What does TTT mean?

Postby EricC/O'11 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:55 pm

rmyoun06 wrote:Your mom is TTT.


















oooooOOOOOOH!



Hahahahahaha

TTT 4 ME
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:24 pm

Re: What does TTT mean?

Postby TTT 4 ME » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:00 pm

Did someone call?

User avatar
Curious George
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:39 pm

Re: What does TTT mean?

Postby Curious George » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:05 pm

iwasgoingtobeasenator wrote:My guess is that TTT began meaning "The Third Tier."
Also helps that there are three "T's" which seems rather indicative of the tier system. I mean, if "Third Tier" was TT, people might be confused and think 2nd tier? Just conjecture.


You're probably right.

In my brain, there was not an option for the other "T" to come before the Third Tier.

Later! Gotta' get back to thinking inside the box.

jharke4
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:26 pm

Re: What does TTT mean?

Postby jharke4 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:58 am

iwasgoingtobeasenator wrote: Also helps that there are three "T's" which seems rather indicative of the tier system. I mean, if "Third Tier" was TT, people might be confused and think 2nd tier? Just conjecture.


TITCR. Three T's, third tier...gotta be.

jharke4
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:26 pm

Re: What does TTT mean?

Postby jharke4 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:07 am

Oh God. Did i just use TITCR?! I meant "you're correct", or "i agree", or any number of similar phrases which we humans use. I'm going to death myself immediately; sorry.

User avatar
underdawg
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:15 am

Re: What does TTT mean?

Postby underdawg » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:08 am

jharke4 wrote:Oh God. Did i just use TITCR?! I meant "you're correct", or "i agree", or any number of similar phrases which we humans use. I'm going to death myself immediately; sorry.

titcr!

USCme2
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:41 pm

Re: What does TTT mean?

Postby USCme2 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:40 pm

Your MOM is TTT....





ooooOOOOHHHHH Snaaaaapppp!

User avatar
underdawg
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:15 am

Re: What does TTT mean?

Postby underdawg » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:03 pm

high4ever2008 wrote:"TTT" officially stands for "Third Tier Toilet," which is the Third Tier in the US News Rankings. "TTT" is also applied to the Fourth Tier or any non-ABA schools. In general, these schools are said to have lower prestige and worse career prospects.

Some elitists like to use "TTT" for any school ranked below theirs. For example, an immature Yale Law grad may call UC Berkeley a "TTT" or a Georgetown Law grad may call USC a "TTT." Some elitists view anything outside of HYS a "TTT," while others view anything outside of the T14 a "TTT." The list goes on. With all this said, we can all agree that a mature individual would not refer to a fellow lawyer's school as a "TTT."

Since we are talking about "TTTs," it wouldn't hurt to talk about another popular term: "Top Tier." "Top Tier" is usually referred to as Tier 1 law schools in the US News. Many law schools (on their websites) refer to themselves as "Top Tier" if they are in Tier 1 (ranked 1-50 in the US News).

Some elitists also like to refer to the "Top Tier" as Top 10, Top 14, Top etc. It really depends on who you talk to. Most people like to include their own school in the "Top Tier." For example, a ND Law grad may refer to the "Top Tier" as T25 or a Columbia Law grad may view it as the Top 10, while Georgetown Law grad Top 14.

the "t14" exists for a reason, and there is a logical reason people refer to schools that way, but noooo, just call everyone snobs :roll:

i'd make fun of anyone that said "top 10" though.

User avatar
dbt
Posts: 617
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:46 am

Re: What does TTT mean?

Postby dbt » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:08 pm

TTT 4 ME wrote:Did someone call?


I'm having trouble determining whether your s/n is "tit for me" or "ttt for me." Either way is fine, really.

jbs
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:54 pm

Re: What does TTT mean?

Postby jbs » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:18 pm

EricC/O'11 wrote:
dangerzone10 wrote:On many of these law school admissions forums, I see people say bad things about "TTT" schools. What on earth does TTT stand for, and what does it mean?


It comes from deep in the bowels of the snobs here on TLS; it stands for 'Third Tier Toilet".



So what do you call the 4th tier schools? Wouldn't they be the third tier's toilet?

User avatar
jigga-hjalmar
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:25 pm

Re: What does TTT mean?

Postby jigga-hjalmar » Fri May 01, 2009 11:29 am

jbs wrote:So what do you call the 4th tier schools? Wouldn't they be the third tier's toilet?


TTTT




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], cavalier1138 and 5 guests