"W" On Transcript? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mitchk

New

"W" On Transcript?

Post by mitchk » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:36 pm

Hello all,
I'm currently a freshman. I just recently changed my major to poli-sci/pre-law from neuroscience. I want to the neuroscience course since I don't need it for a poli-sci degree. It is currently the middle of the semester and I was wondering if a W on my transcript would affect prospective law schools. This would be the first one so far.

Thank you!

QContinuum

Re: "W" On Transcript?

Post by QContinuum » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:04 pm

No, a single W won't raise any eyebrows and is probably more common than not. I had three Ws on my transcript (including two in the same semester), did not explain them at all, and did fine. TLS wisdom is that you should only explain dropping all classes in a semester, or having an unusually large number of total Ws (I'd say at least >6).

notrub14

New

Post by notrub14 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:03 am

QContinuum wrote:No, a single W won't raise any eyebrows and is probably more common than not. I had three Ws on my transcript (including two in the same semester), did not explain them at all, and did fine. TLS wisdom is that you should only explain dropping all classes in a semester, or having an unusually large number of total Ws (I'd say at least >6).
I had >10 Ws and got in H with no explanation. (It's possible that they deduced the explanation for most of them from my personal statement).

RunningtheDistance

New

Post by RunningtheDistance » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:44 am

notrub14 wrote:
QContinuum wrote:No, a single W won't raise any eyebrows and is probably more common than not. I had three Ws on my transcript (including two in the same semester), did not explain them at all, and did fine. TLS wisdom is that you should only explain dropping all classes in a semester, or having an unusually large number of total Ws (I'd say at least >6).
I had >10 Ws and got in H with no explanation. (It's possible that they deduced the explanation for most of them from my personal statement).
If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats? Did you have any major softs that you feel might've helped you?

notrub14

New

Post by notrub14 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:11 pm

RunningtheDistance wrote:
notrub14 wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats? Did you have any major softs that you feel might've helped you?
4.2ish and 176. Below average softs. 7 of the Ws were from a major health issue that admissions could have deduced from my personal statement. 5 or so were just classes that I didn't like.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”