Taking any/all advice, suggestions and direction

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
taylorharris24

New

Taking any/all advice, suggestions and direction

Postby taylorharris24 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:30 pm

For the sake of laziness I'm just gonna copy and paste my profile description.

Interned with congressman, interned with Prudential Financial, Founder and president of school's investment club, Division 2 basketball player, attended a 3 week mission trip to Puerto Rico, Started and ran my own small, non-profit t shirt business: http://www.childsplayapparel.org/
Recipient of business department award as well as numerous sports academic awards. Highest GPA in the GNAC for division 2 basketball. Currently working as a conflicts clerk at a mid-sized law firm in Portland Or (Schwabe Williamson & Wyatt).

My absolute dream school is Harvard. My diagnostic was 148 and after getting through three months of Powerscore's 1 year study plan I got up to 157. I have been living with my parents since I graduated and was able to save up for a tutor. We are pretty much starting over so I haven't taken a practice test in a little over a month. My gpa is 3.96 but I haven't sent my transcripts to LSAT to calculate the official. I know that if end LSAT score is not high I'll receive a ton of "retake" comments. What I really want to know is if I don't reach 170 despite my absolute full effort (which I absolutely will give) and end in the high 160's, can I still have a decent chance at Harvard? I am more than willing to drown in student debt. It really comes down to a pride and sentimental value for me. All comments are greatly appreciated.

thx for reading

QContinuum

Re: Taking any/all advice, suggestions and direction

Postby QContinuum » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:12 pm

With a LSAT in the high 160s, yes, you'd have a realistic chance at getting into HLS given your 3.96 GPA (assuming that's your LSAC GPA - do you have any reason to suspect your LSAC GPA might be lower? usually this happens when applicants have attended a previous college and did poorly there, or have had one or more bad grades "forgiven" by their school and excluded from their school-reported GPA).

But focus on actually getting that LSAT first. You won't be getting in to HLS (unless you're a URM) with your current LSAT score.

Also, this may fall on deaf ears, but I'd strongly urge you against having a Harvard-or-bust attitude. While Harvard is definitely a great law school, it's probably a full step below Y/S in prestige and only half a step or so above CCN. And as you know, given your GPA, if you can get your LSAT up, you'd likely be able to get substantial $ aid at CCN and down. (Admittedly it's entirely possible you'll end up getting your LSAT up to a point where you can get into Harvard and CCN etc., but not high enough for substantial $ at CCN etc., in which case HLS would certainly be the best option.)

taylorharris24

New

Postby taylorharris24 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:25 pm

Wow thx for the quick response. No my GPA shouldn't change then. I was just unsure how they calculate it. I had no idea Harvard was regarded a little lower then YS. Could you point me to a source where I could read more about this? I believe you, I just think I was overestimating how much I knew about the top law schools given this information eluded me.

QContinuum

Postby QContinuum » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:59 pm

taylorharris24 wrote:Wow thx for the quick response. No my GPA shouldn't change then. I was just unsure how they calculate it.

You can see https://www.lsac.org/applying-law-schoo ... marization for the actual rubric, but yes, if you don't have any "forgiven" grades or other previous college grades, your GPA shouldn't change.

taylorharris24 wrote:I had no idea Harvard was regarded a little lower then YS. Could you point me to a source where I could read more about this? I believe you, I just think I was overestimating how much I knew about the top law schools given this information eluded me.

USNWR https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... w-rankings is generally accurate. The top thirteen schools are generally regarded as the "best" in the country, roughly in the order they're ranked in USNWR. Based on TLS' collected wisdom, and on personal observations, the prestige pecking order is approximately:

Yale
Stanford
Harvard
Chicago
Columbia / NYU
Penn / Michigan / Berkeley / UVA / Duke
Northwestern
Cornell

There's some disagreement about whether Chicago's actually better than Columbia/NYU, or whether Penn should be lumped in with Columbia/NYU, but generally the order above is accurate.

Relevant to you, Yale/Stanford are substantially harder to get into than Harvard and down. Harvard and down focus mainly on LSAT and GPA; Yale/Stanford generally require super strong softs in addition to stellar LSAT/GPA.

albanach

Gold

Postby albanach » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:23 pm

QContinuum wrote:With a LSAT in the high 160s, yes, you'd have a realistic chance at getting into HLS given your 3.96 GPA (assuming that's your LSAC GPA - do you have any reason to suspect your LSAC GPA might be lower? usually this happens when applicants have attended a previous college and did poorly there, or have had one or more bad grades "forgiven" by their school and excluded from their school-reported GPA).

But focus on actually getting that LSAT first. You won't be getting in to HLS (unless you're a URM) with your current LSAT score.

Also, this may fall on deaf ears, but I'd strongly urge you against having a Harvard-or-bust attitude. While Harvard is definitely a great law school, it's probably a full step below Y/S in prestige and only half a step or so above CCN. And as you know, given your GPA, if you can get your LSAT up, you'd likely be able to get substantial $ aid at CCN and down. (Admittedly it's entirely possible you'll end up getting your LSAT up to a point where you can get into Harvard and CCN etc., but not high enough for substantial $ at CCN etc., in which case HLS would certainly be the best option.)

MyLSN suggests they'd have to be very high in the 160s and hit an admissions officer having a good day.

taylorharris24

New

Postby taylorharris24 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:44 pm

Wow I am so impressed. I have been using this website to read forums for a long time the response time here is unbelievable. Thank you very much. Maybe in a few months I will post an update.

Much appreciated!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�