BIG GPA DROP AND LEGAL ISSUES... ADDENDUM? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
srg1027

New

BIG GPA DROP AND LEGAL ISSUES... ADDENDUM?

Post by srg1027 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:00 pm

Hi everyone. So my total GPA through undergrad was a 3.3 but during my second semester sophmore year i managed to get a 1.6 for several reasons; I was arrested for a misdemeanor which has since been sealed from my record through an ACD, I was stressing out bc of the legal issues i was dealing w (going to court and dealing with my parents), and i thought i screwed up my whole life w these issues so i didnt really go to class. Im aware i must write an addendum for the legal issue itself but for my GPA drop that one semester, should i write another addendum and if so what is your opinion on what it should say?

ernietakeslsac

New

Re: BIG GPA DROP AND LEGAL ISSUES... ADDENDUM?

Post by ernietakeslsac » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:20 am

This advice isn't backed by anything other than personal opinion, disclaimer disclaimer, but I wouldn't write a second addendum. I think addenda regarding GPA/ transcript issues (or LSAT scores for that matter) only help rather than hinder if the circumstances are understandable, pretty extreme, out of your control, and unlikely to repeat themselves in law school. Drawing attention to the fact that you were charged with a misdemeanor in two separate addenda is overkill and doesn't seem like it would draw sympathy wrt your GPA drop. Instead, maybe throw in a line about your C+F addenda about how dealing with the legal issue reflected in your academics so long as you can spin it as a learning experience you take full responsibility for and don't intend to repeat blah blah blah.

srg1027

New

Post by srg1027 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:05 am

ernietakeslsac wrote:This advice isn't backed by anything other than personal opinion, disclaimer disclaimer, but I wouldn't write a second addendum. I think addenda regarding GPA/ transcript issues (or LSAT scores for that matter) only help rather than hinder if the circumstances are understandable, pretty extreme, out of your control, and unlikely to repeat themselves in law school. Drawing attention to the fact that you were charged with a misdemeanor in two separate addenda is overkill and doesn't seem like it would draw sympathy wrt your GPA drop. Instead, maybe throw in a line about your C+F addenda about how dealing with the legal issue reflected in your academics so long as you can spin it as a learning experience you take full responsibility for and don't intend to repeat blah blah blah.
Thank you so much for the advice, but what do you mean C + F?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:39 pm

srg1027 wrote:
ernietakeslsac wrote:This advice isn't backed by anything other than personal opinion, disclaimer disclaimer, but I wouldn't write a second addendum. I think addenda regarding GPA/ transcript issues (or LSAT scores for that matter) only help rather than hinder if the circumstances are understandable, pretty extreme, out of your control, and unlikely to repeat themselves in law school. Drawing attention to the fact that you were charged with a misdemeanor in two separate addenda is overkill and doesn't seem like it would draw sympathy wrt your GPA drop. Instead, maybe throw in a line about your C+F addenda about how dealing with the legal issue reflected in your academics so long as you can spin it as a learning experience you take full responsibility for and don't intend to repeat blah blah blah.
Thank you so much for the advice, but what do you mean C + F?
Character and fitness.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”