Law School Choices Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bradley.beck

New

Law School Choices

Post by bradley.beck » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:12 pm

First time posting in top law. I've been reading a few forums as I search topics that have been on my mind.

I recently graduated from University of Utah with a political science BS. My GPA is 3.45 and I'm taking the LSAT in November and January. I'm currently at a 150 on my practice tests. I'm currently working for Congress and am looking to go to law school in 2019 preferably but 2020 if needs be.

I'd like to practice in the western United States (UT,NV,AZ, CA). I'd like to end up doing government relations with state legislatures but am also interested in big and small law. I have University of Utah, UNLV, University of San Diego, Chapman, Loyola, Western and some others on my list. I know the law schools here in Washington D.C. are probably best for government relations but the western United States is where my wife and I would like to live. I have some really solid LORs as well.

Is the list of schools I have schools I should look at or am I missing any? Let's say my LSAT practice score is what I officially get, are my grades and LSAT to0 low to get into a law school that would actually be worth it? I know I can probably get into a law school but I've read enough on this website to know that some law schools simply aren't worth it. Any help if appreciated!

teleste

New

Re: Law School Choices

Post by teleste » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:23 pm

BYU's non-LDS tuition is $1,000 cheaper than the UofU's in-state tuition. BYU's law program is ranked ~10 slots higher than the UofU's law program, and Clark places better across Western States outside of Utah than Quinney does. I didn't see it on the list though... #JustSayin

:)

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:09 pm

Is that placement as strong for non-Mormons?

bradley.beck

New

Post by bradley.beck » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:16 pm

teleste wrote:BYU's non-LDS tuition is $1,000 cheaper than the UofU's in-state tuition. BYU's law program is ranked ~10 slots higher than the UofU's law program, and Clark places better across Western States outside of Utah than Quinney does. I didn't see it on the list though... #JustSayin

:)
BYU is definitely not on my list. However, I thought given my LSAT score and GPA it would be too long of a shot for me. Am I wrong in thinking this?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:33 pm

You don't have an LSAT score yet, and it's something you can always improve (as opposed to GPAs, for which that boat has probably sailed). There's no reason you should settle for a 150.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”