Opinions on some law schools? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jdenney071

New

Opinions on some law schools?

Post by jdenney071 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:44 pm

Hey everyone I’m just starting the process of looking at law schools and wanted to hear from some people with first hand experience at several schools I’m considering. Primarily I’d like to hear from people who went to or are at Colorado, Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, Arizona state, Illinois, Maryland, UNC, Marquette or Georgia. Any info on these law schools and others like them would be insanely helpful, as I’m considering whether it’s even worth it to go to law school. If anyone knows what these schools or others like them are like in terms of post graduation opportunities, I’d love to hear about it. Thanks

QContinuum

Re: Opinions on some law schools?

Post by QContinuum » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:50 am

You should first decide which state you want to practice in post-graduation. Then focus on looking at law schools in that state. It doesn't make sense to look at schools from Colorado to Georgia. J.D.s from schools below the T13/T20 aren't readily portable geographically.

jdenney071

New

Post by jdenney071 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:43 pm

QContinuum wrote:You should first decide which state you want to practice in post-graduation. Then focus on looking at law schools in that state. It doesn't make sense to look at schools from Colorado to Georgia. J.D.s from schools below the T13/T20 aren't readily portable geographically.
I don’t necessarily know where I want to practice. I’m from Indiana but that doesn’t necessarily mean I have to stay there. I would figure where I practice would be dependent on where I go to law school, but I’m not sure. For example if I go to Colorado and receive some form of $$$ to help cover costs, I’d have no problem practicing in Denver, or in Georgia with the same situation I’d have no problem practicing in Atlanta or wherever. Are you essentially saying that all of these schools have generally good opportunities within their respective regions?

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:30 pm

Whether they are good depends on what type of job you want

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:32 pm

jdenney071 wrote:
QContinuum wrote:You should first decide which state you want to practice in post-graduation. Then focus on looking at law schools in that state. It doesn't make sense to look at schools from Colorado to Georgia. J.D.s from schools below the T13/T20 aren't readily portable geographically.
I don’t necessarily know where I want to practice. I’m from Indiana but that doesn’t necessarily mean I have to stay there. I would figure where I practice would be dependent on where I go to law school, but I’m not sure. For example if I go to Colorado and receive some form of $$$ to help cover costs, I’d have no problem practicing in Denver, or in Georgia with the same situation I’d have no problem practicing in Atlanta or wherever. Are you essentially saying that all of these schools have generally good opportunities within their respective regions?
I am saying that at the range of law schools you're considering, where you go to law school will very likely determine where you're going to practice (and live) for the rest of your working life. You really need to decide now where you want to practice - it'd likely be disastrous if you just decided to head down to Georgia for law school and then figured out you actually want to practice in Wisconsin.

If you're really fine with practicing wherever, you should look at each of those schools' employment numbers, as drawn from their ABA employment summary. At ASU, for example, about 74% of the class found jobs as lawyers; this drops to 67% at Indiana, which would make Indiana appear to be a weaker choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”