GPA Addendum for schools with waivers? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ReardenSteel

New

GPA Addendum for schools with waivers?

Post by ReardenSteel » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:37 pm

Bit of a specific request. My GPA/LSAT are 3.46/169. I graduated in 2011 and have pretty solid work experience and strong extracurriculars. So far I've gotten waivers from Penn and Michigan. Looking at LSN it looks like people with my numbers have been admitted to both at decent rates.

Here's the the issue - the latter half of my college years were sort of marred by mental health issues related to a side-effects, dependency, and withdrawal symptoms for a medication I was prescribed but in hindsight never should have been taking.

I plan to write an addendum for this for top 5 schools - because I figure my chances there are slim anyway, my gpa/lsat will absolutely be an issue for them and explaining the circumstances can only help

For mid tear schools like Penn and Michigan where I have a waiver, should I bother explaining anything? Or will the explanation just hurt my already okay chances? The worst on my transcript are a few C's Junior/Senior year, and then a withdrawal (non-punitive) from 3 courses my last semester.

What about lower ranked T-14 schools like Duke and Northwestern. Addendum or no?

Thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

TheLaw1995

New

Re: GPA Addendum for schools with waivers?

Post by TheLaw1995 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:04 pm

Write an addendum for all the schools you're applying to. I don't see how adding it would hurt your chances at lower-ranked schools.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”