Law Schools Scrutinizing Applicants' Social Media Posts Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ImaginaryDay

New

Law Schools Scrutinizing Applicants' Social Media Posts

Post by ImaginaryDay » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:37 pm

More than half of law school admissions officials check on the social media pages of applicants, and what they find can lead straight to the rejection pile.

By Karen Sloan

https://www.law.com/2018/10/03/law-scho ... dia-posts/

Should social media be considered as a part of the application process?

QContinuum

Re: Law Schools Scrutinizing Applicants' Social Media Posts

Post by QContinuum » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:02 pm

MASH_Law wrote:More than half of law school admissions officials check on the social media pages of applicants, and what they find can lead straight to the rejection pile.

By Karen Sloan

https://www.law.com/2018/10/03/law-scho ... dia-posts/

Should social media be considered as a part of the application process?
If by "part of the application process" you mean "should I hire a social media consultant" to help me build a professional Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn, absolutely no need. Just make sure to have the appropriate privacy settings on your accounts and Bob's your uncle.

ImaginaryDay

New

Re: Law Schools Scrutinizing Applicants' Social Media Posts

Post by ImaginaryDay » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:38 pm

If by "part of the application process" you mean "should I hire a social media consultant" to help me build a professional Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn, absolutely no need. Just make sure to have the appropriate privacy settings on your accounts and Bob's your uncle.[/quote]

Actually, Bob is my dad, not my uncle. :D I remember hearing war stories of "what not to do" during orientation. One that sticks out is the student must have forgotten he/she was friends with the career counselor on Facebook because the student was venting about a teacher, wanting her to "calm her tits." Law school orientation also warned us that the bar looks at social media to determine a candidate's status. Not everything needs to be public! I definitely agree with keeping the appropriate privacy settings on your accounts.

What are other social media horror stories?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”