Addenda- Do they matter? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NegusDaHabesha

New

Addenda- Do they matter?

Post by NegusDaHabesha » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:32 pm

Does writing a GPA addendum, or any addendum really, actually make any difference at all in the admissions process? If so, what kinds of circumstances are normally considered worthy of an addendum?

QContinuum

Re: Addenda- Do they matter?

Post by QContinuum » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:40 pm

NegusDaHabesha wrote:Does writing a GPA addendum, or any addendum really, actually make any difference at all in the admissions process? If so, what kinds of circumstances are normally considered worthy of an addendum?
I don't think the "average" law school applicant should write any addenda. But addenda can be very helpful in addressing certain circumstances that might otherwise raise a yellow/red flag in adcoms' eyes. Consider the applicant who withdrew from college for a semester. If the withdrawal was due to reasons beyond the applicant's control (typically health or family issues), that would be valuable to note. Or consider the applicant with a 165 initial LSAT, then a 140 the second time around, then a 169 on the third take. If the applicant performed badly on the second LSAT due to reasons beyond his/her control, that would be valuable to note. Consider the applicant with a potential C&F issue. An addendum explaining the situation and demonstrating the applicant's acceptance of responsibility and subsequent personal growth would likely be critical.

OTOH, addenda are not generally useful if, say, an applicant did badly in college because s/he simply partied too much, or had bad studying habits, or whatnot. Or if, say, an applicant did badly on the LSAT due to breaking up with their SO the night before the test.

If you have a particular issue you'd like to ask about, please feel free to do so. (And feel free to post under anon.)

Nycsplitter

New

Post by Nycsplitter » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:25 pm

I have a very poor GPA due to community college grades from 2008/2009.

I also have C&F answers "yes".

Both the GPA and C&F are explained in the same way

Does it hut to write 2 addenda, or should they be merged?

JDAdvisingLLC

New

Post by JDAdvisingLLC » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:59 pm

If you answered "yes" to the academic CF question and also want to submit a GPA addendum, I would merge the two together since it is essentially only one issue. There's no need to explain it twice. Hope that helps!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”