Should I write and addendum about a downward grade trend after transferring? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mmorrell94

New

Should I write and addendum about a downward grade trend after transferring?

Post by mmorrell94 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:12 am

Hi gang,

GPA each year of UG is as follows:

4.0, 3.9 3.6, 3.6
Cumulative: 3.78

Bottom line: After sophomore year, I wanted to be challenged more and so I transferred to a more prestigious undergrad school. I also took a few pretty hard courses when there. It turns out, I succeeded in my original goal because my classes generally were much harder and I did not do as well. Do you think that there is any value in fleshing this out in an addendum? Or is the drop not worth highlighting?

If it matters, my lsat is 174 and I’m over two years out of UG. I’m applying to most of the T14

Thanks for any thoughts/feedback

albanach

Gold

Re: Should I write and addendum about a downward grade trend after transferring?

Post by albanach » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:14 am

mmorrell94 wrote:Hi gang,

GPA each year of UG is as follows:

4.0, 3.9 3.6, 3.6
Cumulative: 3.78

Bottom line: After sophomore year, I wanted to be challenged more and so I transferred to a more prestigious undergrad school. I also took a few pretty hard courses when there. It turns out, I succeeded in my original goal because my classes generally were much harder and I did not do as well. Do you think that there is any value in fleshing this out in an addendum? Or is the drop not worth highlighting?

If it matters, my lsat is 174 and I’m over two years out of UG. I’m applying to most of the T14

Thanks for any thoughts/feedback
Your cumulative GPA is fine - it's above the 25th percentile almost everywhere and above the median at many T14 schools. Your LSAT is above the 75th almost everywhere.

You're not going to explain it in any way that does more good than the harm in drawing attention to it. I would not write an addendum.

QContinuum

Re: Should I write and addendum about a downward grade trend after transferring?

Post by QContinuum » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:10 pm

mmorrell94 wrote:Bottom line: After sophomore year, I wanted to be challenged more and so I transferred to a more prestigious undergrad school. I also took a few pretty hard courses when there. It turns out, I succeeded in my original goal because my classes generally were much harder and I did not do as well. Do you think that there is any value in fleshing this out in an addendum? Or is the drop not worth highlighting?
No. The addendum wouldn't add any value in this case (and would only hurt by actively drawing attention to your grade drop, which otherwise might not even be noticed). The only good reason for a GPA addendum would be some kind of severe medical or personal challenge - neither applies here.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”