Grad School Presitge? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
calmova17

New

Grad School Presitge?

Post by calmova17 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:14 am

The grad program I want to enroll in before law school isn’t very well-known, if at all. Does anyone think that not attending a prestigious grad program vs. attending one would affect an application? I feel like it’s an inane point, but curious as to what other’s opinions are on this one.

albanach

Gold

Re: Grad School Presitge?

Post by albanach » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:53 am

Grad school will have little to no impact, unless you perform poorly in which case it might be a red flag.

Bigger question is why do grad school if you want to be a lawyer?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:24 pm

albanach wrote:Bigger question is why do grad school if you want to be a lawyer?
I second this - especially as OP says the grad program they want to enroll in "isn't very well-known, if at all." I could see an argument for doing, say, a HKS or Woodrow Wilson degree, depending on one's interests. But a little-known grad program is unlikely to be of any benefit to OP down the road.

calmova17

New

Post by calmova17 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:08 pm

I graduated undergrad in 2 years and want to continue my education. The grad program is a tiny liberal arts school, and I really like their program. I'm applying fall of 2019, so I only have about a year off and this program fits in that timeframe.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:58 pm

calmova17 wrote:I graduated undergrad in 2 years and want to continue my education. The grad program is a tiny liberal arts school, and I really like their program. I'm applying fall of 2019, so I only have about a year off and this program fits in that timeframe.
And that's fine, but most, though admittedly not all, graduate programs are in some way vocational. I was questioning why you would do that if you want to be a lawyer? If it's not vocational, it seems unusual to seek out unnecessary debt unless grad school and cost of attendance is free.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:47 pm

calmova17 wrote:I graduated undergrad in 2 years and want to continue my education.

Why law school, then? It seems a bit like degree hoarding to me. Either you're going to have a grad degree that is entirely worthless or you're going to have a law degree that you don't actually use.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”