Do I have any chance at the T-14? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Thedude2796

New

Do I have any chance at the T-14?

Post by Thedude2796 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:00 pm

3.28, 165 half-MA URM. I have internship experience with a lobbyist, volunteer experience with low income schools and am currently working as a legal assistant at a law firm. My PS is about how I had a horrible mindset toward studying until I began boxing and realized that study was important to success and how i applied that principle to my academics and passions afterwards. My diversity statement is about how my identity as a Mexican as well as the fact that I grew up poor in a very poor area and had to work on a ranch throughout my childhood shaped my identity. I have a massive upward grade trend (averaged around 2.95 my first 2.5 years on college then a 3.85 after I got my shit together). My transcript looks even worse because I took dual-enrollment calculus classes in high school and got B’s in them and blew my knee out playing football and had to withdraw from a class. I was thinking about writing an lsat addendum explaining how chronic headaches and migraines made practicing for and taking the lsat difficult but I’m just going to bite the bullet on that one.
I understand that my stats are weak and my softs are pretty unimpressive so I am wondering if it is even worth applying to the t-14 schools I haven’t gotten waivers from.

LegalBiology

New

Re: Do I have any chance at the T-14?

Post by LegalBiology » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:51 pm

Thedude2796 wrote:3.28, 165 half-MA URM. I have internship experience with a lobbyist, volunteer experience with low income schools and am currently working as a legal assistant at a law firm. My PS is about how I had a horrible mindset toward studying until I began boxing and realized that study was important to success and how i applied that principle to my academics and passions afterwards. My diversity statement is about how my identity as a Mexican as well as the fact that I grew up poor in a very poor area and had to work on a ranch throughout my childhood shaped my identity. I have a massive upward grade trend (averaged around 2.95 my first 2.5 years on college then a 3.85 after I got my shit together). My transcript looks even worse because I took dual-enrollment calculus classes in high school and got B’s in them and blew my knee out playing football and had to withdraw from a class. I was thinking about writing an lsat addendum explaining how chronic headaches and migraines made practicing for and taking the lsat difficult but I’m just going to bite the bullet on that one.
I understand that my stats are weak and my softs are pretty unimpressive so I am wondering if it is even worth applying to the t-14 schools I haven’t gotten waivers from.
with a 170+ maybe cornell or GT. otherwise no, a 165/3.28 you'd be lucky for top 20; i'd consider why you wantto go to law school and then apply broadly

Thedude2796

New

Re: Do I have any chance at the T-14?

Post by Thedude2796 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:57 pm

LegalBiology wrote:
Thedude2796 wrote:3.28, 165 half-MA URM. I have internship experience with a lobbyist, volunteer experience with low income schools and am currently working as a legal assistant at a law firm. My PS is about how I had a horrible mindset toward studying until I began boxing and realized that study was important to success and how i applied that principle to my academics and passions afterwards. My diversity statement is about how my identity as a Mexican as well as the fact that I grew up poor in a very poor area and had to work on a ranch throughout my childhood shaped my identity. I have a massive upward grade trend (averaged around 2.95 my first 2.5 years on college then a 3.85 after I got my shit together). My transcript looks even worse because I took dual-enrollment calculus classes in high school and got B’s in them and blew my knee out playing football and had to withdraw from a class. I was thinking about writing an lsat addendum explaining how chronic headaches and migraines made practicing for and taking the lsat difficult but I’m just going to bite the bullet on that one.
with a 170+ maybe cornell or GT. otherwise no, a 165/3.28 you'd be lucky for top 20; i'd consider why you wantto go to law school and then apply broadly
Adding Mexican URM to the equation makes 17-30 look attainable with money

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”