UK 2:1 GPA conversion Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ssar

New

UK 2:1 GPA conversion

Post by Ssar » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:13 pm

Looking for help from anyone who is familiar with the UK UG grading system and how to convert it (I haven’t yet signed up to LSAC or used CAS).
I scored a 2:1 - 61 marks and have been told this is usually considered an ‘above average’ but have seen some nightmare stories of people having their first year grades (which usually don’t count, at least they didn’t for me) included which brings the grade on their report down to an ‘average’ or lower than expected. My first year grades were low but didn’t count towards my final grade and I can get an addendum from professors I’m still in contact with explaining my poor grades throughout university.
Would anyone who knows more or has had their grades evaluated be able to give me some colour on what to expect? And what materials I send off with my transcript (e.g. addendum explaining my reasons for not submitting or low grades or notice stating all fails are non-punitive and do not count) can make difference to the CAS evaluators? Do extra supporting materials make any difference at all?

iar

New

Re: UK 2:1 GPA conversion

Post by iar » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:27 pm

Hey Ssar - this is a good question. I am yet to have mine evaluated, but it seems as though you should come out as "above average". The majority of UK students seem to have their degrees classified in a fairly predictable way (2:2 is avg, 2:1 is above avg, 1:1 is superior). However, you're right that they do count first year grades,=. (I agree that this is unfair. There's a reason they don't count towards a British degree classification.) So it's possible that a 1:1 would come out as "above avg" etc.

Having spoken with one admissions director at a T14 school, schools receive a key with which to decipher international transcripts. They don't have to use this key, but this particular school does. They like to scan transcripts for class quality, signs of progress etc. So this school would more than likely know that your 1st year grades don't count. You can also (and should, if this nightmare happens to you) submit an addendum explaining the situation.

I wish I could be clearer than this but I'm yet to discover if mine will be downgraded. My first year grades were actually fine, but of course, like most UK undergrads, they're not part of my 1st. All I can advise is that you don't worry about it, do as well as you can on the LSAT and cross the bridge when you come to it. As an international student you will fall into a slightly different bucket anyway. Your resume won't look the same, the statement might sound different... they're used to it. Just be as strong as you can.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”