Splitter aiming for Columbia; should I retake? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
susanfromaccounting

New

Splitter aiming for Columbia; should I retake?

Post by susanfromaccounting » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:54 am

Stats:

Non-URM

I'm below 25 for GPA (obviously) and above 75 for LSAT (173 from last year). However (also obviously), the better LSAT the better the chances.

Pros to retake:

- better chances
- $? long shot, but also am low-income so would help a lot
- no penalties for retake? (this will be 3rd time)

Cons:

- September retake would delay apps (because of my shitty GPA I want to apply immediately)
- throwing myself back into studying (also currently working fulltime)

mmac

New

Re: Splitter aiming for Columbia; should I retake?

Post by mmac » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:52 pm

I would not retake with a 174. It looks like you should have a good shot at Columbia, possibly with $$ ($50k).

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:46 am

mmac wrote:I would not retake with a 174. It looks like you should have a good shot at Columbia, possibly with $$ ($50k).
Seconding the advice to not retake. I don't see much marginal advantage to, say, a 176 over a 174.

I also want to note that most of CLS' grant assistance is awarded based on demonstrated financial need. CLS spends comparatively little on merit aid. So if OP qualifies as having "demonstrated financial need" (not a given, since parents' finances do get factored in for most applicants, even if the parents won't actually be contributing), there may be need-based aid in addition to any merit grants.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:28 pm

You already have a 174 on the LSAT, so you're sort of at the point of diminishing returns. As well, it's possible that something goes wrong on test day and you end up scoring lower than a 174 (your current score leaves little room for error). Given this, there is no need to put yourself through the LSAT again. Just apply to Columbia as early as possible without ED and see where the chips fall.

lana merakai

New

Post by lana merakai » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:56 pm

I do not think you need to retake. I think your chances are high with a 174.

doggo

New

Post by doggo » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:30 am

Columbia is splitter-friendly, perhaps more than any other peer school. Check law school numbers and also Columbia's class profile. Retaking isn't going to help much here, and your GPA is likely fine because Columbia definitely emphasizes the LSAT over GPA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”