Applying to Law School with a dismissed case on your record?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
aefraust

New

Applying to Law School with a dismissed case on your record?

Postby aefraust » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:56 pm

welcome! so i plan on applying to law school come this November for fall 2019. In April of this year, i was charged with "drinking in public" in where i was wrongly charged. I was able to get it dismissed. also keep in mind this took place in California. Will having a record showing i was charged but had it dismissed ruin my chances of getting into law school? My gpa is 3.12 and my lsat is 165? thanks in advanced.

Synapse2018

New

Re: Applying to Law School with a dismissed case on your record?

Postby Synapse2018 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:12 am

You will have to look at each school's C&F questionnaire and disclose if they ask for it. Some states have laws against asking particular questions and others have unique circumstances - i.e. in New York, a discharged case allows one to answer "no" to the question of whether you've ever been charged or arrested. In MA, schools can not ask about misdemeanors over 5 years old and so on. It's a very subjective question and what you have to disclose is going to be different for each school. Line up the schools you are applying to and check out their C&F questions. If any still require you to disclose, I wouldn't automatically assume it will disqualify you, but in the event you are, you'll have no way of knowing if that was the primary reason. Hopefully, you won't have to disclose to your top choices, but you should look into this before deciding where to apply.

Dunnkirk85

New

Postby Dunnkirk85 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:58 am

Yes. Just disclose it and be truthful. Will not hurt you as long as you're honest.

Lurker19

New

Postby Lurker19 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:35 pm

No one will care about this at all. Disclose, move on, and stay out of any further trouble.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�