Chances/GRE vs. LSAT: Current Grad Student Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
shannonnoelani

New

Chances/GRE vs. LSAT: Current Grad Student

Post by shannonnoelani » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:52 pm

So, like many others I have a lot of concerns regarding the choice between submitting GRE scores or taking the LSAT. Here is a basic outline of my current situation:

-Current master's student at Harvard
-Undergrad GPA: 3.7 (small private liberal arts school)
-Graduating with master's spring 2019, intending to matriculate into law school fall 2019
-Very interested in attending Georgetown Law
-GRE scores: Verbal 97th percentile; Quantitative 35th percentile (yes, THIRTY FIFTH. ya girl is not exactly a math prodigy.); 5.5/6 writing

I have been studying for the LSAT, but not nearly with the kind of rigor I would like. I am participating in an intensive summer language program in Spanish for my current degree program, the demands of which have prevented me from really throwing myself into LSAT prep.

Any insight, *especially* from people who have been accepted to law school with GRE's, would be appreciated greatly. Also, please weigh in on whether you think a very low Q score could be cause for rejection. Help me with my life. Thank you.

lawschool99

New

Re: Chances/GRE vs. LSAT: Current Grad Student

Post by lawschool99 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:05 pm

Have you made a decision?

Also, which schools are you targeting?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:22 pm

Given your weak GRE quantitative score... take the LSAT. I wouldn't recommend that anyone apply to law school with a 35th percentile standardized test score (GRE or LSAT).

The LSAT is very learnable, particularly Logic Games, which is likely to be your weakest section. (Based on your strong GRE verbal performance, I doubt you'd have much of an issue with the other LSAT sections.) Get the PowerScore bibles and start drilling.

Why are you set on Gtown in particular? With a good LSAT score, you should be able to do much better than Gtown with your 3.7 uGPA. Your advanced degree may also be helpful depending on area (STEM yes, Master's in History not so much).

mmac

New

Post by mmac » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:10 pm

I'd take the LSAT. There's no math. :D

goingnutslawschool

New

Post by goingnutslawschool » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:12 am

Definitely take the LSAT. That Q score is going to hurt you. While there aren’t any stats on the GRE related to the 25th-75th percentile range (like there is for the LSAT) you can look up, your Q score may give them second thoughts about accepting you. Why give them any doubts? I still think that law schools don’t have to as yet report their GRE scores for rankings so this is only a guess. You have a solid 3.7 GPA and with a great LSAT score you are looking at money. I also read an article awhile back that law schools were going to be looking at the Q score and focusing on it to attract a different kind of applicant- one that can hold their own in the world of quantitative data that the law will increasingly start to rely on. Study hard and score well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:45 pm

Georgetown says they expect GRE scores in the 94-95% range.You aren’t close to that.

You should take the LSAT and not submit your GRE score based on what I’m reading from Georgetown admissions.

Caveat: admissions departments are not entirely honest, however, I don’t see them admitting you with that quant score (as well as your overall score.)

See questions 11 and 12
https://www.law.georgetown.edu/wp-conte ... e-FAQs.pdf

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:01 pm

GwendolynBrownlee wrote:it is really a very difficult choice
Weird necro

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:36 pm