Iowa vs. Wisconsin Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Staddle

New

Iowa vs. Wisconsin

Post by Staddle » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:09 pm

Any advice on the relative merits/demerits of Iowa vs. Wisconsin for a law student who may be interested in practicing in the Midwest or east coast? Maybe Biglaw focused. Thanks.

Wubbles

Bronze

Re: Iowa vs. Wisconsin

Post by Wubbles » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:53 pm

big law? neither. East coast? neither. Midwest? depends on the state.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:49 am

Iowa is great if you want to practice in Iowa. Wisconsin for Wisconsin. If you are a Wisconsin resident and want to practice in Wisconsin I think they have a provision where you get admitted to the Wisconsin bar on graduation day.

sheboygan!

New

Post by sheboygan! » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:13 pm

Go for the cheaper one. Both place in their respective states and Illinois and Minnesota to varying extents. Everything else isn't guaranteed. Wisconsin does have the diploma privilege, so you won't need to take the Wisconsin bar if you graduate from UW-Madison (or Marquette, but don't go there).

FWIW, I went to Iowa and am now on the East Coast. It's possible, but not probable.

Staddle

New

Post by Staddle » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:13 pm

Thank you. Which do you think plays better in Chicago?

It looks like, until recently, Iowa was ahead in the USNWR rankings until Wisconsin pulled even this year. Do you think Iowa does/did have a better reputation?

Thanks

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:11 am

They are regional schools with good reputations in their states. If you want Chicago, go to school in Chicago/Illinois. I also have the feeling that you really are thinking biglaw since you are supremely worried about the value of those degrees in Chicago and the east coast. If you want biglaw, retake. If you gave stats, scholarship offers, and actual career plans, I could probably be more helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”