Should I Do Law School or Finish my CPA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TaxCPAorJD?

New

Should I Do Law School or Finish my CPA?

Postby TaxCPAorJD? » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:54 am

I am new here so please be kind if possible.

I have two career choices I'd like your input on:

Here is my scenario. I have an accounting background, just finished a bachelors in accounting from a good school. (University of Denver, the accounting school is good at least). I have a job offer from one of the big 4 accounting firms to work as a tax associate. I need a few more credits on my masters and I need to pass the cpa exams as well. I am in the midst of studying. This is option A for me.

There is also option B:

My father runs a small, but successful law firm that specializes in real estate tax law in North Jersey. He has offered to pay for my law school and start me off at $100,000 per year upon graduating and passing the bar if I come work for him.

The big 4 accounting job is offering $56,000 starting salary and a bonus for passing the CPA.

My grades are not terrible but not terrific.

My undergraduate GPA is 3.33

I have not yet taken the LSAT, but I would like to take it to see if I can get decent enough score to attend a worthwhile law school.

Another unique fact is that I am 29 years old.

Given my unique circumstances, should I give law school a shot? I am somewhat burnt out on accounting. I understand fully that the grind and hours are just as hard if not harder for lawyers than for accountants.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

If I choose law school, I would have zero debt and a guaranteed job; but I would have to work for my father at a small firm. I would likely inherit the firm upon his retirement.

Tough choice. Fire away!

dabigchina

Silver

Re: Should I Do Law School or Finish my CPA?

Postby dabigchina » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:20 pm

Former CPA here. If you hate tax accounting now, wait until you actually start doing it for real.

This might be one of the few scenarios where law school is a really good idea. Study for the LSAT and shoot for NYU.

Im not sure why inheriting the firm wasn't plan A all along, to be perfectly honest.

Synapse2018

New

Postby Synapse2018 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:58 pm

dabigchina wrote:Former CPA here. If you hate tax accounting now, wait until you actually start doing it for real.

This might be one of the few scenarios where law school is a really good idea. Study for the LSAT and shoot for NYU.

Im not sure why inheriting the firm wasn't plan A all along, to be perfectly honest.

Isn’t 3.33 on the lower side for NYU? The lower 25% is 3.66 for last cycle

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:15 pm

Synapse2018 wrote:
dabigchina wrote:Former CPA here. If you hate tax accounting now, wait until you actually start doing it for real.

Isn’t 3.33 on the lower side for NYU? The lower 25% is 3.66 for last cycle

That's why he/she should get 173+ on the LSAT

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?