GW with 105k scholarship vs UCI waitlist vs reapply

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bluntmeat

New

GW with 105k scholarship vs UCI waitlist vs reapply

Postby bluntmeat » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:36 pm

Hi all!

I'm having the toughest time deciding whether to further commit to GW with another deposit tonight ($1000 ugh) or ride out the UCI waitlist or reapply. I have a 3.33 GPA and a 160/166 LSAT. I applied rather late this past cycle (in January). Would reapplying early next cycle help at all? Do i need to retake the LSAT? I blind reviewed in the 170's but could never get the timing down for a 170+ practice test.

Thanks!

Anony1234

New

Re: GW with 105k scholarship vs UCI waitlist vs reapply

Postby Anony1234 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:38 am

You're looking at two very different, regional schools. If you want to practice on the East Coast, specifically DC or NYC, then you should probably take the GW with a scholarship. If you want to practice in CA, then wait it out and see what happens at UCI. You will likely have a harder time getting a job in CA from GW, and vice versa (if not much harder) getting a job in NYC or DC from UCI. Don't let their relative prestige in rankings get in the way of, what should be, an easy decision given practical considerations.

I would seriously consider retaking if timing is your only issue on the LSAT. That's a very learnable test. You will get faster with more practice, and scoring in the 170s should greatly expand your options. If you want to practice in CA, I would retake and push for UCLA or USC. Alternatively, a 170 should get you in at a G'town or Cornell if you want to practice in DC/NYC.

bluntmeat

New

Postby bluntmeat » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:04 pm

Thank you for the response! I'm looking towards retaking and expanding my options.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:10 pm

Retake and reapply. Timing is easily learnable and applying early is a big help, even if your best score is a 166. Use this time to finalize your essays and submit you applications as early as possible next cycle.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�