Terrible Grades...What are my options Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
aae97

New

Terrible Grades...What are my options

Post by aae97 » Tue May 08, 2018 4:40 pm

I struggled through most of college and will be graduating after fall semester next year. This semester was awful for me, I will most likely be getting a F or a D in one class, two C's, two B+'s, and one A. I was diagnosed with a rheumatoid disease in the middle of this semester and have just been feeling sick, exhausted, and unmotivated. On top of being sick, I stupidly loaded up on credits, and obviously couldn't handle it. My GPA will most likely be a 2.95 or 3.0 after this semester. But my LSAC GPA will probably be around 2.7-2.8 as I got a D in micro my freshman year, retook it the next semester, and got a D again (terrible, I know). Other than that my grades have been ok, and I'm PTing in the 165 range, and am taking the LSAT in July so there's room for improvement.
I'm from the NYC area and have been comparing myself to people admitted to Brooklyn Law, St. John's, NYLS, and every applicant that was accepted with my GPA and LSAT score were all URM or non-traditional students for the most part. I'm neither of those.
In your opinion, are these schools attainable for me, and if not which would be? and any advice for off-setting my terrible GPA and transcript?

albanach

Gold

Re: Terrible Grades...What are my options

Post by albanach » Tue May 08, 2018 5:00 pm

aae97 wrote:I struggled through most of college and will be graduating after fall semester next year. This semester was awful for me, I will most likely be getting a F or a D in one class, two C's, two B+'s, and one A. I was diagnosed with a rheumatoid disease in the middle of this semester and have just been feeling sick, exhausted, and unmotivated. On top of being sick, I stupidly loaded up on credits, and obviously couldn't handle it. My GPA will most likely be a 2.95 or 3.0 after this semester. But my LSAC GPA will probably be around 2.7-2.8 as I got a D in micro my freshman year, retook it the next semester, and got a D again (terrible, I know). Other than that my grades have been ok, and I'm PTing in the 165 range, and am taking the LSAT in July so there's room for improvement.
I'm from the NYC area and have been comparing myself to people admitted to Brooklyn Law, St. John's, NYLS, and every applicant that was accepted with my GPA and LSAT score were all URM or non-traditional students for the most part. I'm neither of those.
In your opinion, are these schools attainable for me, and if not which would be? and any advice for off-setting my terrible GPA and transcript?
Many would tell you simply don't go to law school. The cost will be tremendously high and the quality of school you can be admitted to will in no way justify that cost.

If you are hell bent on law school, find a way to get your GPA above 3.0. Delay graduation if necessary. It's a big psychological barrier.

MyLSN is probably indicative of your chances:

Assuming an LSAT between 165 and 168, here's what 3.0x looks llike:

And here's what 2.7-2.8 looks like:

Not just how few applicants there are in that bottom table. I've a feeling that the few acceptances shown might even be overly generous. MyLSN only has data on 140ish applications (which will be from an even smaller number of applicants).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”