Should I wait a year or go to school now?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
UMhopeful21

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:54 pm

Should I wait a year or go to school now?

Postby UMhopeful21 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:10 pm

I’m 35. A URM, my undergraduate gpa is 2.2 but the last 60 credits were 4.0. Yeah, Horrendous first couple of years, I know. Either way my GPA cannot change we all know that. My December LSAT is 152, but before I took it I was practice testing at 160. I applied mostly to Florida schools because I want to practice in Florida more specifically South Florida. UM and FIU denied me, to my chagrin but I wasn’t surprised. So did Stetson. I am currently waitlisted at Florida and would def go if accepted. I put my deposit in at FAMU, simply because I didn’t want to go back and take the LSAT. My question is, do you guys think it’s worth it to take the LSAT again and reapply to my top choices next cycle next cycle, especially since I’ve been practice testing recently at 162-163. My problem is I feel old and shouldn’t waste another year since I am positive I want to pursue law. Is a potential minimum of 8 points increase worth the year I’ll have to wait?

amot123

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:17 pm

Re: Should I wait a year or go to school now?

Postby amot123 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:31 pm

I would retake the LSAT. 160+ on the LSAT will allow you to get into better schools, and will provide $$$. Debt with low job prospects is not ideal.

User avatar
cannonballer

Bronze
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:42 pm

Re: Should I wait a year or go to school now?

Postby cannonballer » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:46 pm

I agree with the above - waiting a year sucks now but will pay off in spades later if you get into a better school with $$$. It sounds like you're already prepping for the LSAT - take the June test and if you think you can do better than that score, keep prepping and take September. Make sure the rest of your app is tight and apply early. If you improve as much as you are PTing or even more you will put yourself in a significantly better place. Your goal should be to enroll in a school that offers you a strong chance of the kind of employment you want when you graduate, and to graduate with a minimal amount of debt. I know a year feels like a huge delay on your life now (I'm also a law student in my 30s), but if it results in you being in a much better place upon graduation it will be worth it many times over.

At the very least (you may already be doing this), take the June LSAT for potential financial aid negotiation.

UMhopeful21

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:54 pm

Re: Should I wait a year or go to school now?

Postby UMhopeful21 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:29 pm

[quote="amot123"]I would retake the LSAT. 160+ on the LSAT will allow you to get into better schools, and will provide $$$. Debt with low job prospects is not ideal.[/quote

I think I may take the June LSAT and see if that gets me off the waitlist at UF. If not, I’ll just wait a year and take the LSAT again.

ExperssioUnius

New
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:04 am

Re: Should I wait a year or go to school now?

Postby ExperssioUnius » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:50 am

I think the answer lies in how badly you want to go to law school.
With a 2.2 GPA, even with the upward grade trend, I think you'll need an LSAT score well above 163 to get into a creditable school that make the three year investment of life and money worth it. Realistically, probably need a 170 to get into a marginally worthwhile school with good employment odds.
So, if 170 is at all in the cards, wait a year. If it is not in the cards, then go this year if you really want to go to law school and believe in yourself to finish in top 5% of your class and either have a shot at a job or at transferring up and finishing law school a year earlier than if you wait. Don't think a 2.2/162 will be good enough to get you into that much better of a school to make the year of lost time and potential income worth it.

UMhopeful21

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:54 pm

Re: Should I wait a year or go to school now?

Postby UMhopeful21 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:26 pm

ExperssioUnius wrote:I think the answer lies in how badly you want to go to law school.
With a 2.2 GPA, even with the upward grade trend, I think you'll need an LSAT score well above 163 to get into a creditable school that make the three year investment of life and money worth it. Realistically, probably need a 170 to get into a marginally worthwhile school with good employment odds.
So, if 170 is at all in the cards, wait a year. If it is not in the cards, then go this year if you really want to go to law school and believe in yourself to finish in top 5% of your class and either have a shot at a job or at transferring up and finishing law school a year earlier than if you wait. Don't think a 2.2/162 will be good enough to get you into that much better of a school to make the year of lost time and potential income worth it.


Very sound advice. Thank you.



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests