Older Student Low GPA Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mhanley2375

New

Older Student Low GPA

Post by mhanley2375 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:37 pm

I saw an earlier thread on this subject but can't find it now.

I received my Undergraduate degree in 1989. Like many young people I did not take it seriously and ended up with a GPA in the low 2's. I'm taking the LSAT this June and based on my Prep tests and my Manhattan Prep Course I think I'll hit the Mid 150's to 160. Maybe higher but Logic Games are killing Me! :(

I am retiring next year after 30 years with the same company and I'll be 56 years old when I start Law School if I can get accepted. I want to attend a School in the State of Louisiana or Mississippi and LSU is my first choice. My question is what do the people on this forum think of my chances? I will not give up no matter what anyone says ( so don't worry about discouraging me) but I am interested in opinions.

I have not contacted LSU or anyone else ( Why bother until I have an LSAT Score to refer to)

Objective Opinions?

CALaw717

New

Re: Older Student Low GPA

Post by CALaw717 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:11 am

mhanley2375 wrote:I saw an earlier thread on this subject but can't find it now.

I received my Undergraduate degree in 1989. Like many young people I did not take it seriously and ended up with a GPA in the low 2's. I'm taking the LSAT this June and based on my Prep tests and my Manhattan Prep Course I think I'll hit the Mid 150's to 160. Maybe higher but Logic Games are killing Me! :(

I am retiring next year after 30 years with the same company and I'll be 56 years old when I start Law School if I can get accepted. I want to attend a School in the State of Louisiana or Mississippi and LSU is my first choice. My question is what do the people on this forum think of my chances? I will not give up no matter what anyone says ( so don't worry about discouraging me) but I am interested in opinions.

I have not contacted LSU or anyone else ( Why bother until I have an LSAT Score to refer to)

Objective Opinions?
Some say LSAT score counts 2X as much as GPA. I'd think someone a couple of years out of undergrad with such a low GPA would have serious issues, but 30 years out, I think how you've spent the past 30 years will be strongly factored in. I'd guess if you're at LSU's 75% LSAT of 157+ you'd have a decent chance at LSU. You'd need to write a really good personal statement on why law, because you'll be a year shy of 60 when you graduate. To be honest, I think you'd have a HUGE uphill battle to find employment after law school and the school may worry about that too as someone not doing JD-required work 9-10 months after graduating will hurt their numbers. What do you want to do with a law degree as a newly-minted 60yo attorney?

CALaw717

New

Post by CALaw717 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:23 am

mhanley2375 wrote:I saw an earlier thread on this subject but can't find it now.

Objective Opinions?
Also, some schools have intensive 2year JD programs that start a bit earlier than the standard 1L program and go through 2 summers. At your age, I think you'd may want to consider that option as well. In California, Pepperdine and Southwestern offer that option. I'd check into similar options closer to your area.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:50 am

mhanley2375 wrote:Maybe higher but Logic Games are killing Me!
There are specific tools that teach the logic games. Seek those resources out and study them backwards and forwards. Most people struggle with logic games to start, but once they learn the "trick", it becomes a strength. Many of the study resources have methods for determining what type of game each one is (there are a limited number of game formats) and organizing your thoughts to beat that type of game. Find the method that works for you. One key to scoring high on the LSAT is getting to a point where you lose few or no points on the logic games. That section is the most learnable of the entire test.
My question is what do the people on this forum think of my chances?
First off, purely out of curiosity, what do you want to do with your law degree?

You're not going to get any informed advice about your chances since you're waaaaaaaay outside of the normal profile for applicants. Based on the limited number of non-traditional students I've met, I'm guessing that your chances are good as long as your LSAT score is at or above the school's average. Your GPA is meaningless at this point, and I think that the admissions departments would recognize that.

It sounds like you're planning on talking with the admissions departments. They'll have much more useful information and advice than anybody here.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:08 am

What's your post law school goal here? Do you want to be a practicing attorney, and if so how will you communicate that to the school?

Can you afford three years at the sticker price for any of the schools you are interested in?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:17 am

I had a poor undergrad GPA, and not a great LSAT. Although I took the LSAT at 19 years of age and did not really try. Did not apply to law school until 5 years later I think. Never really did great on school.

Had an unbelievable fire under my butt and ended up in the top 18% of my class then transferred to a state university. Graduating now with a job offer and just need to pass the bar. Worked out for me.

TheGambler101

New

Post by TheGambler101 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:24 pm

CALaw717 wrote: You'd need to write a really good personal statement on why law, because you'll be a year shy of 60 when you graduate. To be honest, I think you'd have a HUGE uphill battle to find employment after law school and the school may worry about that too as someone not doing JD-required work 9-10 months after graduating will hurt their numbers. What do you want to do with a law degree as a newly-minted 60yo attorney?
This post just reeks of age bias. Age discrimination is against federal law and I don't think any college or university could legally reject someone for being too old. As for the employment issue, that's true of even 26 year olds graduating from law school. It's a dismal job market out there for anyone with a law degree. A person in their 50s or 60s may have enough saved for retirement to be comfortable even if they don't land some high paying job.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”