How does admissions consider your college internships when you've been working 2-3 years? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ano-ny-mous-ly

New

How does admissions consider your college internships when you've been working 2-3 years?

Post by ano-ny-mous-ly » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:07 pm

I graduated in 2016. I secured two internships with the White House and Smithsonian in 2014 and okay internships with lesser-known institutions in from 2014 to 2016 (one working on a National Science Foundation-funded study). I'm currently working as a litigation paralegal at a small- to mid-sized firm (not a white-collar firm) to support the defense of multinational car companies in complex multimillion dollar products liability cases.

I still have to decide whether to apply in Fall 2018 or Fall 2018 (2-3 years out of college), but basically, I think I have average to somewhat impressive internships but possess average work experience. (Other information: I graduated with a 3.65 GPA in a social science and declining academic performance as an honors student at a B-level school, but I'm studying for a 170+ on the LSAT.)

How much does admissions evaluate your college internship experiences from 4 to 5 years ago? I think my 2014 internships are my most impressive experiences (lol, which is sad), but will they even be considered? I'm busy working, so I'm not sure if there's enough time before Fall 2018 or Fall 2019 to obtain a job with a more impressive law firm or increase how impressive my extracurriculars are, unless if I'm accepted to a Fulbright or Princeton in Latin America/Asia/Africa fellowship.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”