UC Hastings ($90K) vs USD ($135K) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

UC Hastings ($90K) vs USD ($135K)?

UC Hastings
20%
University of San Diego
80%

Total votes: 5

joseluisglez

New

UC Hastings ($90K) vs USD ($135K)

Post by joseluisglez » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:58 pm

Mexican-American, LSDAS GPA: 3.44, LSAT: 157 & 161

I'm already registered to retake in June and might reapply next year, but assuming I don't significantly improve, I have to make deposits soon. I'm waitlisted at University of Michigan, USC, UCI, UCD. Rejected at UCLA. Still waiting on Berkeley.

There's about a $30k difference in tuition over 3 years (more at USD) between schools, so looking only at scholarship money is deceiving. Housing would be slightly higher at Hastings, but not by much if I live on campus, considering USD isn't offering on campus housing. Wherever I end up, I'm going to need about $100K in loans over 3 years. I will be financing them through Federal Direct Unsubsidized & Federal Direct Grad PLUS loans.

I'm originally from SoCal and went to UC San Diego for undergrad. My law interests are in criminal and corporate law. I want to maximize my opportunities, which I know are slim, for biglaw and clerkships, but eventually want to work in SD, hence the dilemma. I believe Hastings will open more doors, but USD has a near monopoly in the SD market. I've been living in the Bay Area for a couple years and wouldn't mind staying here for a while, but eventually want to return to SD. If I knew Hastings places well in SD, I probably wouldn't be making this post/poll.

Towards where would you tip the scale in the (assumed) battle of more opportunities vs. preferred location, what law school would you choose in my situation?

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze

Re: UC Hastings ($90K) vs USD ($135K)

Post by Bla Bla Bla Blah » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:48 pm

I don't think that there is a big difference between the two. Hastings doesn't have a good reputation for bar passage or job placement in recent years. However, USD is considered the big dog in the San Diego market, and the alumni base holds themselves in very high regards around that town. I'd go USD with what you are looking at, especially if you are looking to place in the San Diego, or surrounding county, markets. It's a good option.

CALaw717

New

Post by CALaw717 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:04 pm

joseluisglez wrote:Mexican-American, LSDAS GPA: 3.44, LSAT: 157 & 161

I'm already registered to retake in June and might reapply next year, but assuming I don't significantly improve, I have to make deposits soon. I'm waitlisted at University of Michigan, USC, UCI, UCD. Rejected at UCLA. Still waiting on Berkeley.

There's about a $30k difference in tuition over 3 years (more at USD) between schools, so looking only at scholarship money is deceiving. Housing would be slightly higher at Hastings, but not by much if I live on campus, considering USD isn't offering on campus housing. Wherever I end up, I'm going to need about $100K in loans over 3 years. I will be financing them through Federal Direct Unsubsidized & Federal Direct Grad PLUS loans.

I'm originally from SoCal and went to UC San Diego for undergrad. My law interests are in criminal and corporate law. I want to maximize my opportunities, which I know are slim, for biglaw and clerkships, but eventually want to work in SD, hence the dilemma. I believe Hastings will open more doors, but USD has a near monopoly in the SD market. I've been living in the Bay Area for a couple years and wouldn't mind staying here for a while, but eventually want to return to SD. If I knew Hastings places well in SD, I probably wouldn't be making this post/poll.

Towards where would you tip the scale in the (assumed) battle of more opportunities vs. preferred location, what law school would you choose in my situation?
It couldn't hurt to send a copy of your scholarship offer to the Hastings admission team and see if they would consider increasing your scholarship. With the $30k over 3 years lower tuition at Hastings, if they can bump up the scholarship $5k/year to $35k/year, then you're looking at just about the exact same $9k/year tuition at either school. Then I think at the same tuition, Hastings is the clear better choice. Also, it looks as if Hastings for a second year in a row is keeping their tuition unchanged for the 2018-2019 academic year. Make sure you're comparing apples to apples and see if San Diego has announced their next academic year's tuition. It's most probably higher than this academic year's tuition. Then, you're looking at slightly cheaper annual tuition at Hastings. Even if Hastings doesn't increase your scholarship, you may be looking at pretty similar annual tuition after SD's tuition increase.

Skadidas

New

Post by Skadidas » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:58 pm

Have you seen the new rankings? USD dropped a ton, not sure why but that may be something that you look further into as it may be a trend.

I know several USD Law grads, 2 of which have low-paying legal jobs (think sub 70k). On the other hand I know a grad that was able to land SD Big Law (think Latham/Sheppard) BUT they were on law review and were in the top 10%.

Basically, if you can get top 5-10% and be on law review and want to stay in SD it may be a decent option.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”